+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best of Season 7?

Re: Best of Season 7?

^ Wikipedia's article on this season lists all of the dances that took place. (ETA: TopCatDC beat me! )

S7 would have been my least favorite, if it hadn't been for Lauren's win. Now, it's my 2nd least favorite, just ahead of S5. But thinking about it, I'm not sure about that.

S5 at least had a couple of memorable routines: the Addition piece with Kayla/Kupono, the paso doble with Brandon/Jeanine, the Bed HH with Jeanine/Phillip, the disco with Janette/Brandon, the cha cha with Kayla/Max (I'm biased ), Evan's fantastic solos, the contemporary with Jeanine/Jason, etc etc.

S7 had... uhh... well, the ones that come to mind personally are the Prom piece with Lauren/Kent, the homeless contemporary with Billy/Ade, the group routine that Mia did (with Allison in the center), and, of course, Outta Your Mind. But they're not great in comparison IMO. Watching the Billy/Ade piece again on the finale, I wasn't as impressed I once was. I also rewatched Outta Your Mind, and it wasn't as good as I thought it was. I liked the Prom routine, but it was sorta like the Jeanine/Jason dance again. That leaves the group routine by Mia, which just shows that Mia should stay as a choreographer.

But the end result of a season can drastically alter your opinion of a season. Take Survivor: Gabon as an example (for all you Survivor fans). I loved that season... until Bob won. That's the same thing that happened with S7, except in reverse.

I liked Jeanine, and I thought she was a great winner. But I sorta knew she would win. With Lauren, it was such an epic win. I was fully expecting Kent to win, which would have sucked because I really did not like him. So to see your favorite triumph over the person that you liked the least was very satisfying.

But then again, there were so many things that went wrong with this season (lack of memorable dances, female decimation, the numerous injuries, etc). Does the end satisfaction counter all of that? I don't know.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Newbie

Which one was the dance where one the twist was the female was deployed. I really liked that one, too.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshotgalaxia;4039251;
    Which one was the dance where one the twist was the female was deployed. I really liked that one, too.
    That was a contemporary peice with Robert and Katherine. It was very good too!

FORT Fogey

The benefit from the females all going first was getting to see the guy-guy dances before the finale. While some were weird, there were some that were really strong (like the Alex-Twitch).

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

My favorite routines of the season were "Outta Your Mind" with Alex and Twitch; "Boogie Shoes" with Lauren and Billy; and the Mad Clown routine with Dominic & Robert. I also liked the "Shoeless Joe" baseball dance with Neil and Kent.
    Oh, and EVERYTHING with Pasha! I love watching that guy dance!

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I also liked the cowboy hip hop routine with Lauren & Twitch!

FORT Regular

My favorite routine of the season was How it Ends with Kent and Neil, particularly the dance from the finale. I felt the timing was perfect that night and I saw things I didn't see the first time. Beautiful choreo and exquisite dancing.

I enjoyed seeing some of the all-stars, but at the same time, I felt this season's contestants missed out on some things by having it not be all about them. Personally, I got tired of seeing the all-star's faces first thing in the group dances. It's like the contestants were put there as back-ups.

FORT Fogey

One memorable dance for me that hasn't been mentioned in the campaigning hip hop routine for Twitch and Lauren. I really liked the concept, and both dancers really embraced their roles.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Favorite routines - couples:
    Robert & Anya - Viennese Waltz - I tend to like the Viennese waltz, and this was lovely.
    Robert & Anya - Tango - I thought Robert did much better in the ballroom than he was lauded for. He was smoldering & mature in this number.
    Kent & Courtney - Jazz "Amy Amy Amy" - Cute, sexy & quirky. Tyce channeling Sonya better than Sonya has done Sonya lately (in my opinion only)
    Alex & Twitch - Hip Hop "Outta Yer Mind" - needs no explanation. This blew me away and I watched it about 3 times in a row.
    Kent & Lauren - Contemporary "Collide" - the prom dance. I thought it was lovely.
    Lauren & Mark - Tahitian - I really didn't think she had all that many interesting moves, she was all butt & hip shaking. But Mark made this one of my favorites ever.
    Kent & Adechike - Contemporary "You Only Disappear" - I thought it was really touching, and I think Adechike was at his best in this number. I liked how it grouped two guys in contemporary WITHOUT them fighting each other.
    Lauren & Twitch - Hip Hop "My Chick Bad" - this was an awesome routine, done in such a way that Lauren was helped to shine with a hip-hop-heavy-duty like Twitch. Cute.
    Jose & Allison - Contemporary "Eternal Sunshine" - the "edge of the stage" dance. I thought that was really unique and different. Sonya how I like her.
    Robert & Lauren - Jazz "Wasted Time" - that was a very sexy number. I thought the chemistry was great.
    Adechike & Comfort - Hip Hop "Falln" - VERY dramatic, in a good way. I hope this put any doubt about Comfort's talent to rest. And Adechike was excellent.
    Billy & Ade - Contemporary "Mad World" - Billy's best performance, IMHO. Cathartic & touching, and exceptionally well danced on both parts.
    Kent & Jose - Broadway "From This Moment On" - Jose notwithstanding (Ok, he was not bad), Kent showed an exceptional grasp of Broadway technique & style here. I almost saw more of Gene Kelly in him than I did in Ryan Kasperzak's whole season.
    Lauren & Pasha - Tango - That was a very hot Tango. Lauren did what's really difficult - got me to stop watching Pasha and watch BOTH dancers.
    Robert & Dominic - Hip Hop "Scars" - the clown routine. I hate clowns. Clowns are evil. These are the most entertaining evil clowns I've ever seen. Another routine I could watch over and over - up there on my list of all-time faves. I know Dominic is the obvious choice of partner in this dance, but I would have loved to have seen what Mark would have done with it, too.
    Kent & Neil - Contemporary - "How It Ends" - BRUTAL. Dramatic, and touching. Equally well danced on both parts again.
    Kent & Allison - Contermporary - "Sundrenched World" - Another Brutal number. Jarring, and wonderful to see Kent get so into the piece.
    Robert & Kathryn - Broadway - "Cool" - I cringed when I heard the start of the music. But I thought the choreographer did a great job re-imagining it for 2 dancers, and Robert did great.

Honorable Mention - Robert & Mark "Whip It" - I so wanted to see Sonya choreograph these two. I loved the costumes, the song, the pairing - but the choreography by Tyce was boring. I want a do-over for those two, with Sonya at her quirkiest.

Now, I should include some group routines... Got to hunt those up though. TCDC - thanks for access to your awesome spreadsheet. The only thing that would have helped more would have been including the name of their partner so it would have been easier to look them up on Youtube for a visual refresher. But I know, complaint department, 13th floor..

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Favorite group routines:

Paris is Burning - Jazz top 11 - AWESOME mix of choreography, music, costume - and 4 awesome dancers.
    Din Daa Daa - Hip Hop top 11 - upon re-watch, really great mix of classic pop, lock and modern hip hop. LOVE the unveiling of Jose's colors.
    This Bitter Earth - Contemporary top 11 - The child, man, grandfather piece choreographed by Mia. Great concept, great job by all 3 dancers.
    Fame - Top 11 w/All Stars performance - Wade Robson, upstart newbies joining seasoned all stars. And David Bowie. Nuff Said.
    Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - Top 6 - Mia's Alice In Wonderland, with Allison replacing Lauren - Just adorable.

I wish I could say I love Mia's angel routine, but I thought it was just ridiculous. Ordinarily I love her group routines, but my praise this time was saved for the Alice in Wonderland bit.

*I can't manage to find a Youtube of the top 5 routine to "All That Jazz." If anyone can link me up, I'd appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast