+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 8/12 Finale Results Show discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 8/12 Finale Results Show discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;4037423;
    What's amusing to me is that I'll read on different mbs that "The judges obviously want Billy to win". Then "The judges obviously want Kent to win" and finally, although it wasn't said outright, but was alluded to, "The judges obviously wanted Lauren to win".
    So true. When the judges praise a dancer that you like, they are just giving them their due. When they praise a dancer you don't like, they are "pimping" and showing favoritism. And when they criticise a dancer you like it's because they hate them and are being mean. But if it's a dancer you don't like they are just "calling them out" on obvious flaws. I guess that's just human nature.

As for Lauren's "sexy" dances - I don't see her work on the season that way. When called for, she was cute ("Boogie Shoes" with Billy), innocent ("Prom Night" with Kent) or sexy (Cha Cha with Pasha). Actually, I think the sexy part was the biggest stretch for her, and she grew more comfortable with that aspect over the competition.

And, lastly, Adam Shankman is gay. Period. That cat is out of the bag. So when he praises Lauren for bringing sexiness to a dance, it's because he feels it was the right choice for the performance.

Nigel is another story - a comment that might seem cute and flirty from a younger heterosexual man, seems creepy from a sixty year old. Maybe that's just "ageist" prejudice, but there it is.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 08-14-2010 at 08:25 PM.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;4037625;

Nigel is another story - a comment that might seem cute and flirty from a younger heterosexual man, seems creepy from a sixty year old. Maybe that's just "ageist" prejudice, but there it is.
    "Creepy" is in the eye of the beholder. From some other sixty year old you might think it "cute".

The actor Michael Douglas always talks about how his dad, Kirk, flirts with his wife, actress Catherine Zeta-Jones (sp?) and he's tickled that his dad is still frisky at his age and after having suffered a stroke. I think Kirk is in his 90s.

What young people don't understand is that older people have the same spirit as when they were young. They think the same and feel the same. They don't think of themselves as "old". They just feel the way they always have. They see somebody who's sexy and they react or comment on it just as they did when young. The spirit does not age but people label them--us--as too old. I guess we're supposed to be put out on an ice flow to die when we hit 60.

A while back, someone told his list members that he didn't believe I was as old as I am. "Something's funny there", he said. Why? I'm not sure if it is because I show a modest amount of intelligence or because I sometimes use the slang of the day or comment on someone's handsome apprearance. Maybe because I liked and hoped Adam Lambert would win AI. Who knows? I just know this person was sure I was lying about my age for some nefarious reason. I am amazed at people's thought processes sometimes.

I love it when Nigel gets up and dances or shouts "whoo hoo" for a sexy performance. He's not dead for heaven's sake. He still has his inner child. Better then being an old fuddy duddy who thinks dancing is lurid.

People always say they don't judge others by their appearance, but that's a lie. They do it all the time.

And by the way, "creeps" come in all ages. I found Billy creepy so I'm not immune to judging people by their appearance either. But it's not his age. I think I'd find him "creepy" whatever age he was..

ETA: Would you think it creepy if it was Sean Connery commenting on sexy dancers cuz I think he (Sean Connery) got more handsome and sexier as he got older. Didn't like him all that much when he was younger. Just curious.
    Last edited by nabrudigam; 08-15-2010 at 12:50 AM.

FORT Fan

And when they criticise a dancer you like it's because they hate them and are being mean.
    Mia IS mean.

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;4037950;
    Mia IS mean.

Giving constructive points for a dancer to grow with is NOT Mia's expertise.
    Unfortunately, she does (IMO) attack the dancer with personal remarks, that can be so hurtful!
    Articulation of thoughts is not something that Mia is very good at, using animal sounds to portray feelings, etc. (Mary Murphy also is too much of a noise maker for me.) She knows her craft very well, but not how to be a good judge IMO.
    I would also like to say Debbie Allen was far more supportive of the dancers, and encouraging the growth of the popularity of dance itself.
    Nigel and Adam are usually (IMO) also very supportive, and can give evaluations without being hurtful, especially Adam. However I must agree with other posters who have commented on the unprofessional comments with sexual overtones made by them.
    Judging apparently takes superior skills.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by everly2;4038290;
    Giving constructive points for a dancer to grow with is NOT Mia's expertise.
    I would also like to say Debbie Allen was far more supportive of the dancers, and encouraging the growth of the popularity of dance itself.
    Nigel and Adam are usually (IMO) also very supportive, and can give
    Loved Debbie Allen as a judge. I wish they'd bring her back but she's probably too busy teaching.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam View Post
    What young people don't understand is that older people have the same spirit as when they were young. They think the same and feel the same.
    To clarify (in case someone found my post "creepy") when you're older, roses still smell sweet, Vivaldi's Four Seasons still delights , the sky is still as blue, the bird song still makes us smile. So why would anyone think that a pretty face is any less pretty or a dance any less sexy to us when we're 60? What's "creepy" is how people perceive us just because our overcoat is wrinkled.

But alas, I fear you won't really understand until you hit 60 yoursellf.

P.S. I'm a lot older than 60 but people mentioned Nigel's age as 60 so I went with that.
    Last edited by nabrudigam; 08-15-2010 at 01:37 PM.

FORT Regular

I love the intro. Pretty good season overall. Better than I expected.

I would be happy either with Kent or Lauren winning. I think they are both great dancers.

Initially, I like Kent, but he wasn't my favorite. I thought he just use the boyish cute charm to win the girl votes which gets annoying after the first two weeks especially because I'm a guy viewer.

However, the last four weeks, Kent has really shown what a good dancer he is and has grown as a dancer.

As for Lauren, I always had liked Lauren. Among the girls, Lauren and Ashley were my favorites.

Among the guys, my favorites were Alex and Kent.

I'm quite happy with the results show. Most of the favorites the judges chose, I really enjoy.

I thought Ellen's routine was hilarious.

As for someone saying Lauren use her sexuality to win and how Nigel and Adam voted for her because of it. I'm pretty sure Adam is gay and is open out it. Were many of Lauren's dances sexy or sensual? Sure, but that was require by the dancing routine. It's not like she was seducing the judges for votes. Besides, the final vote was decided by the viewers and not the judges.

FORT Regular

Oh, bring back Mary Murphy as a judge to replace Mia Michaels.

I hate Mia as a judge. I actually like Mary as a judge even if she can be annoying at times.

I was reading over some of the comments concerning Mia and her mean comments but to me it's her gushing, tearful, overly emotional comments that are worse for me. The woman is just too much either way. But the tattoos, the freaky hair, the clothes and the superiority and I'm so funky attitude is just repugnant to me. She is so far in left field she can no longer see the middle. Come back in a bit Mia so people can at least relate to you a little. ...you don't have to be a freak to be in dance or the arts people will like you if you just be yourself and are cheerful once in awhile. Not everything deserves such intense introspection and comment.

Honestly, I have to mute the hour long judges remarks after each dance. This season they had so many judges that it went on forever, these people really like to hear themselves speak. Gads...it's a dance show, not a UN meeting...get on with it.

FORT Fan

And, lastly, Adam Shankman is gay. Period. That cat is out of the bag. So when he praises Lauren for bringing sexiness to a dance, it's because he feels it was the right choice for the performance.

While Someone here talks about Adam & Nigel drooling over Lauren's sexualtiy, on another list they're talking about Adam & Nigel drooling over Kent.

+ Reply to Thread