+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New format

FORT Fan

New format

I loved it and I think it helped the contestants. Did anyone change their minds either for or against the new format now that it's over?

What did you like/not like about it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: New format

I liked some of it. I LOVED it when Mark, Neil and Pasha graced my TV screen. It was good to see the hip-hoppers doing their specialty, and watching Ade was a treat. I like that nobody was handicapped by a partner who couldn’t do a decent job with the dance genre he/she was assigned. In that same vein, it was nice that we weren't voting for a pair at the beginning, which could penalize good dancers with weak partners, or reward not-so-good dancers who were lucky enough to have a popular partner.

However, I didn’t really like starting with only 10 (or 11) dancers. Even if they only went to 14 or 16 dancers instead of 20, that would be a decent compromise. Maybe they could have a few weeks when they had one night of the guys dancing, one night of the girls dancing, and then 2 from each group go home (based on the usual viewer voting and judges selection) in those first weeks until they got to the top 10 or 12.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I've liked the contestant/pro concept from the beginning. I really am able to focus more on the contestant this way; I see the pro more as an accompanist who is just there to provide strong background support.

Hoping for a Lauren win!
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

• Loved seeing old favorites again and how they've improved.
      Loved seeing Adam judge every week.
      Liked not having bad partners dragging down otherwise good contestants.
      Liked not having bad contestants buoyed by popular partners.
      Liked that the contestants grew faster because of better partnering.
      Liked not having to split my concentration on 2 contestants at the same time.

Dislikes:
    • HATED seeing injured contestants being treated differently than one another (Billy vs Alex and the girl).
      HATED seeing Mia judge every week.
      TRULY HATED starting with 10, no 11. (First, 11 was unfair if they said 10 in the first place; second ... not NEARLY enough contestants and uneven guy/girl splitting too early in the show.) Nothing wrong with starting with 20 just like the old format - knock off 2 guys and 2 girls each week for 4 weeks, then we have a top 12 that we KNOW.

FORT Fan

To me, having only 10 (provided they stick to only ten and not make allowances or play favorites) was better because it speeded up the process and we didn't have to sit through weeks of watching contestants that everyone knew were never going to make it to the finals.

I think the only reason they kept Jose was so young people who like b boys would watch, so they do need to keep only dancers who they think have a chance instead of manipulating the audience that way.

FORT Fogey

The new format grew on me. I would like to see more new talent along with the allstars, and I'd like to see the judes step out of the elimination process earlier. With so few dancers this season, the judges had really already done all of the needed expert-eye eliminations.

FORT Fan

At first I didn't like it because I missed seeing the connection growing. However, once they started dancing together and dancing with the pros I liked it a lot more.

11 were not enough, imo. Are there really only 11 gifted dancers out there? I think ballroom got the shaft this year, and they may as well send out casting calls for contemporary dances only.

Allison to me is such a standout. She was a pleasure to watch, she grew up so much since she was on. And I agree it was good to not see 2 people floundering in a style outside their own.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27;4034889;
    I'd like to see the judges step out of the elimination process earlier. With so few dancers this season, the judges had really already done all of the needed expert-eye eliminations.
    Good point, but they may have set it up that way so that dancers they liked wouldn't be voted out too soon. For instance, they made room for Billy and Alex even tho' there were supposed to be only 10 spots because they really wanted them both. So then they had to let the judges decide who would stay to avoid losing their favorites.

They need to decide whether they really want the audience to vote in the winner or whether it should just be the judges descision.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27;4034889;
    I would like to see more new talent along with the allstars, and I'd like to see the judes step out of the elimination process earlier. With so few dancers this season, the judges had really already done all of the needed expert-eye eliminations.
    I totally agree with the above - more contestants than all-stars (at least a final 15-16), WE get the say at the final 8-10 when we have had a chance to know them.

I want the contestants to dance together earlier also.

Have the all-stars do more special pair performances on results night, not just group numbers (do away with the musical guests, lets have it DANCING)

Dont need the auditions, more time in hollywood and performances - just show us the hollywood rounds and a handful of special mentions (that are great but do not fit the format - like the popper guys)

HATED seeing Mia judge every week.

LOVED having a few new styles/choreographers.

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;4034960;
    They need to decide whether they really want the audience to vote in the winner or whether it should just be the judges descision.
    I VASTLY prefer the scoring/judging/eliminating system used by DWTS. The judge input needs to be there, the the fan input does too, and just letting fans narrow it to a bottom three allows judges to keep undeserving people (BILLY) way too long.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast