+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 8/5 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fan

Re: 8/5 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;4027912;
    I can tell you with the pairs skaters it was when the lifts grew more complicated and you had to execute them well in order to win and in order to execute them well you had to have some serious upper body strength.

With dancers, especially the males, I think there's a balancing point and fine line between very strong and just-too-big-to-move-super-fluidly (like Billy who seems to have no bones as another poster said!)
    Poor Kent really struggled on those lifts and tho' I didn't notice it as much with Billy, I imagine it's hard for him too and all I could think of was that they needed to do some serious strength training.

What the article points out is that:

“When appropriately conducted, strength training does not affect the dancers' aesthetic appearances" with the key words being "when appropriately conducted" and the author sites all kinds of studies that were done.. The article is 10 pages long and 4 1/2 of those pages are just references so, it's not just opinion but based on actual scientific studies that dancers can do weight lifting without ruining their look or flexibility..

I always thought Michael Flatley looked kind of sqrawny (sp?) because he doesn't have much of a chest and was surprised to read that he did weight lifting as part of his (dance) training.
    Last edited by nabrudigam; 08-07-2010 at 12:14 PM.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I think a male dancer can be very strong without being overly bulky. Adechike has quite a bit of bulk in his neck and shoulder region. He has a great body, don't get me wrong, but it's gotta contribute to him not being as "loose" as someone like Billy.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Who is John Galt?

Personally, I think the fans voted the right one out. Of those who remain, my order of preference would be:
    1. Lauren
    2. Kent
    3. Robert

However, I think Kent will probably win with Lauren 2nd and Robert 3rd.

FORT Fan

Mia & Adam gave a very interesting interview after the show Thursday night where they pretty much say they didn't want to give AdeC a standing ovation AND they're laughing about it. Un-freaking-believable..

YouTube - ‪SHANKMAN, MICHAELS - PROUD OF "SYTYCD" ELIMINATED CONTESTANT ADECHIKE‬‎

Thanks for posting that Nancy. Wow. Very catty.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;4030617;
    Thanks for posting that Nancy. Wow. Very catty.
    Please don't insult the cats. :nono

AdeChike's exit interview is very gracious by contrast. When asked what he'd like to say to Mia, he said, "Thank you"

Video - SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE Eliminee Adechike Torbert Talks Backstage - TV

Who is John Galt?

Mia disgusts me and Adam Shankman seems to be her lackey. What a terrible thing to say about Adecheke who seems to be a lovely young man and a wonderful dancer. I do not like her as a regular judge. She is a preening phony and her comments are usually overly pretentious to say the least.

I understand Mia's point about being selective in giving out standing O's, but that seems to be a new revelation for her.
    I've seen her on her feet many times previously and can't help but think she stayed seated when Chiké left because she does not like him, on a personal level for whatever reason.

Mia seems to bring the worst out in Adam. His critiques this year seem rather pointless and it's as though they're trying to create a Paula/Simon vibe, but it isn't working.
    They've both been giggly and pretty childish quite often.
    I know a lot of people didn't like her, but I say bring back Mary.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4031186;
    I understand Mia's point about being selective in giving out standing O's, but that seems to be a new revelation for her.
    I've seen her on her feet many times previously and can't help but think she stayed seated when Chiké left because she does not like him, on a personal level for whatever reason.
    I've never liked Mia. However, when so many people kept saying the judges wanted Chike out, I said I doubted it. As much as I dislike her, I didn't see what other people were seeing and said I didn't believe in the "conspiracy" and gave her the benefit of a doubt but, after seeing that interview I dislike her more than ever.

I mostly watch the dancers and didn't notice, as some others did, that she did not stand for Chicke.

You are right, you've seen her give a standing O many times and while I'm loathe to use the word "racist" I think that at her core, she cannot allow herself (a white woman) to stand in respect for a black man. I may be wrong and I hope I am, but I don't recall seeing her act so vicious towards a white dancer the way she acted toward Chike this season and Brandon, a couple of seasons ago.

I never like to use the word "racist" lightly and as I say, I hope I'm wrong. But if I (and many other people who have said it) are right, then she does not belong on the show. Period.

FORT Fogey

My jaw just dropped after watching those two vids. Good on Adechike for seeing Mia for who/what she is, and not letting it affect him. Horrid flaming shame on Mia & Adam for such tacky comments and behavior during/after the broadcast. What are they, in high school???

They were hired as professional knowledgable judges, and as such they must show respect to every dancer on the show. Not giving a standing ovation to an eliminated contestant is just plain rude! I did notice something going on between them after the elimination annoucement. Wiishful thinking on my part, I thought they were happy Robert was in. But, no they were childishly celebrating Adechike's elimination.

It pains me to say it, but if these two aren't chastised for their behavior this year I have to be done with this show. I can't believe the TPTB would let this slide. I know my viewership means nothing to them, but if they are ok with this it speaks ugly volumes about the entire production, and I cannot continue to support it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast