+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 7/28 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 7/28 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by One Fish;4011390;
    My only thought about his dancing tonight? He honestly didn't have to 'partner.' Yes, he was with someone else and there was connection, but both dances being male-male he didn't have the lifts and holds (okay some on the homeless man) but not the typical ones. It would have been interesting to see him get a ballroom number as that to me would have shown his growth in 'partnering' more than anything else.
    This is what was eluded to earlier. I find it ironic (suspicious) that after Nigel thwarting Billy for NOT dancing after the judges cleared him..that this week he gets two routines in which he only had to dance. There was no partnering involved, no working with someone else for "effect".

He portrayed a homeless character which was the opposite end of the other character being portrayed..so no stretch here he just gets to dance and portray his character (and contemporary to boot)

for his second pairing, he gets Bollywood, with Robert so once again the premise is two guys dancing against each other for the starring role..WOW another stretch of the imagination...

I think this was Nigel's way of trying to make right by Billy's decision. To me it screams catering and obvious favoritism. Although the voting public has some say so..the judges will ultimately send two home dancers home. I am praying that Lauren is good to go, as I would hate to see her go because of an injury.

If the voting remains as it has been; Billy, Jose and Robert will be the bottom three, at this point I think it needs to be Jose and Billy who go. Robert has grown more, although his days are numbered as well. Guess we shall see

Quote Originally Posted by One Fish;4011393;
    I'm glad Billy danced tonight. Do I think he should go home? Yes, but at least he had probably his best performance tonight and can go out with that. I loved him last year, but I think he’s run his course

My only thought about his dancing tonight? He honestly didn't have to 'partner.' Yes, he was with someone else and there was connection, but both dances being male-male he didn't have the lifts and holds (okay some on the homeless man) but not the typical ones. It would have been interesting to see him get a ballroom number as that to me would have shown his growth in 'partnering' more than anything else.
    I find it an odd coincidence that after Nigel's chastising of Billy's choice to NOT dance last week, that this week he gets 2 routines in which he truly doesn't have to partner, and in which one dance is his genre.

*Edit: Sorry about the double post. I keep getting this message "The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later." I didn't even know it went up once, let alone twice!
    That happened to me earlier too..must be all those crazy posters on the bachelorette forum

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4011095;
    I wish they'd make him show that he has a knee brace. I still feel like something is really off about the whole thing.

I.
    He did show his knee brace.

Robert/Kathryn.....I've never cried over a dance before. At the end when Kathryn grabbed her back and walked away, I was sobbing. Wow. I thought Robert was really strong in this number.

Jose/Comfort.....He should have been much better at this. He wasn't hard hitting. Almost like he's gotten lazy. Comfort, on the hand, has improved sooo much! She had been terrific in every dance she's performed.

Billy/Solo.....Wow. I'm so not a Billy fan but that solo was fantastic! The cute little wink at the end was very cheeky. His best solo so far.

Billy/Ade.....Billy had a good night tonight. I LOVED this. I thought he really showed emotion and connected with Ade. If he had danced like this from day one, he'd definitely be a contender.

Jose/Kent.....I thought Jose did well in this. Not great, but better than I thought. I think he had the character down pat and when he pretended to smack the girls butt and then she slapped him....he was dead on with that. I was laughing....it was very entertaining. And it's no secret that Kent is my favorite guy. I thought he was great in that routine. I was smiling the whole way through it.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fan

Enjoyed Kent & Anya’s Cha Cha. Kent grows on me more and more each week and his solo was so much better than Billy’s.

Robert & Kathryn – Nicely done but what’s with the 5 o’clock shadow? I liked Robert more this week than I have in the past. I usually find him very boring. Maybe it's just me but I saw more personality this week.

Loved, loved, loved AdeC & Courtney’s Jazz routine. I wished the solos were a bit longer cuz I love watching him dance solo.

Lauren’s Broadway with Allison was adorable. I’d be surprised if Broadway didn’t snatch her up as soon as she’s available. Her solo was beautiful as always

Jose and Comfort’s routine looked more like a jazz number than hip hop which is O.K. with me cuz I’m not a fan of hip hop so I liked it more than if it was pure hip hop. Enjoyed his solo too. Interesting what the other dancers said about him being focused.

I found Billy’s solo a little weird. Not very challenging. He looked like he was trying to do hip hop and contemporary at the same time. His routine where he was homeless was O.K. I guess.

Jose & Kent’s routine was pretty cute. It reminded me of a Gene Kelly routine. And I typed that before Adam mentioned Kelly. Jose held his own too.

AdeC & Lauren’s fox trot was great. Between the jazz routine he did with Courtney and this routine with Lauren, AdeC is looking more and more like an all star to me. I know some don’t think so but I do think he’s working really hard to learn new styles and is making progress little by little. Yes, he needs to loosen up but that will come in time. He’s too good to dismiss so easily.

Loved the Bollywood routine but wish Robert had been paired with someone else. Robert looked great doing it but Billy just looks so weak in some of these dances. He just doesn't have a good build wheras Ade's build is what's keeping him from loosening up IMO. We used to call it being muscle bound.

Cat was so funny calling Nigel “Ryan” when he mistakenly said “American Idol” instead of SYTYCD.

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;4011452;
    I find it an odd coincidence that after Nigel's chastising of Billy's choice to NOT dance last week, that this week he gets 2 routines in which he truly doesn't have to partner, and in which one dance is his genre.
    I found it equally as strange that they only had the names of the dances, not the partners listed. Because of that, it seems that things could have been easily switched behind the scenes.

Maybe this year I'm just to cynical, but something isn't sitting right with me – although this seems to be the general consensus, I’ve learned! The 'bottom three' still being judges choices is right up there with ‘questionable’ moves.

I honestly think it should be easy this week - Jose and Billy. Robert in the beginning, I didn't particular care about one way or another. Then again, I don't remember him from the Vegas shows, which could have some impact there. I agree he may not be as technically ‘brilliant’, but I can see he has done some great partnering and growing – whereas Billy's done amazing solos, besides tonight, I think two other dances (the cat ones.)

I'll honestly be upset if Robert leaves over Billy. If I try to think back to more memorable dances, I can name more of Robert’s. Believe me, at the beginning of the season, I never thought I'd feel this way.

FORT Regular

Stacy-Ade-Billy = Stunning piece. Brilliantly conceived and executed piece. It took my breath away.

Agree with Mia that win or lose - Billy is special. He moves in ways that are so interesting and unique. Love him.

Not a great night for Lauren but still love her. Thought her solo was fantastic.

Kent belongs on Broadway for sure. Wish he'd get control over his gaping mouth. It detracts from his performance.

Adechike is a brilliant technician - so much power but no soul to his dancing.

Robert and Jose - solid performances but think it is their time to go.

FORT Regular

I'm not sticking up for Billy (although I do like him), but if it was me in his position having been in the bottom 3 like he has been, I would have chosen not to dance. Why risk a possible career-ending injury for only top 6? After all, look at Alex - it will be a while before he is able to dance again.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof5Boys;4011367;
    ClosetNerd posted in a closed thread: I just want to pop in and say quick I told my husband about the chatter about Jose being out of the last 2 weeks opening number, and he says that while Jose was in fact missing from the last number, he did see Jose in it 2 weeks ago. He told me that Jose looked so different that it was hard to recognize him.

I agree--two weeks ago he was definitely in the routine. However, all that he did was push the couch thing across the stage. I still have 7/22 on my TIVO and I watched it carefully. My hubby watched it with me, and agrees that was the only time Jose showed up. He did not participate in the dance moves.
    Thanks for the clarification! I was just going by what Mr. Nerd said. I usually skip the opening number
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by abbiebrock;4011193;
    Robert is a good dancer but his body type and personality is off or something. I like him over Jose, way so.
    I've been thinking about Robert a bit lately. I think his "problem" is that he doesn't feel current. He's a taller man whose body type and looks remind one more of Broadway or classic movie dancers than contemporary: you could see him do an Astaire number or something quite easily, and when he's partnered in the ballroom dances, he LOOKS the part whether or not he can dance it. The costumes flatter his body style. He also dresses very traditionally for his solos: always the dress shorts (which I'm used to seeing my father wear, not younger men) and a conservative shirt rather than varying it up much.

When you see him contemporary you can also tell he's taller than the other men: you are aware of the length of his limbs in a way that you're not with the shorter ones, and while not "wrong" per se, it's distracting from the dance if the choreographer isn't careful.

So I think people haven't connected with him because he feels less current than the other guys...

I agree about Robert. I think he looks great in ballroom because he is built and tall and just looks like he would be a ballroom dancer. I guess the only word I can think to use for contemporary dancers is "soft"- they all look on the smaller side and not really "muscle-y" (although they obviously have plenty of 'em), but Robert looks the opposite of that. I think he looks stiff, not in his movements per se, but in his body type. I'm not sure I described that very well, but it's the best I can do.

+ Reply to Thread