+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 7/28 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 7/28 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;4010936;
    I still feel as though the choreographers are dumbing down the routines for Jose, this should have been something he could grasp, but obviously even in it's simplest form, he just doesn't have the knowledge to grasp any other style but his own. He has overstayed his welcome for far too many weeks...
    Bingo! I was wondering if someone was going to say that. Jose's was good ... BUT to me it was watered down from other hip hop dances. I just felt - simpler than Emilio's simple "Motown" (?) dress in "Project Runway" last year.

BTW, Billy's dance was good... HOWEVER, I have to say I still feel like he shouldn't be there. I wish they'd make him show that he has a knee brace. I still feel like something is really off about the whole thing.

I really truly think that the judges are trying to knock Ade down enough to where he's in the bottom three so he can be eliminated. That gets VERY irritating - and yes I will admit that I will be upset if he's eliminated this week.

Saw Kent's and Jose's duet and maintain that yes... they're simplifying the routines for Jose. Unfortunately, I think this harmed Kent a little bit because it's simple. That said... Kent outdanced Jose by far.

Grr... Mia says that Jose kept up... I disagree by far. They simplified this just enough to let him dance - the guest host is a lot more accurate in her assessment that Jose fits the older dancer in the duo.

Choreographer Spencer could be an Osmond, reminds me of Donny Osmond (resemblance).
    "Grammar is the bus that carries the words, without it they have to walk, and get very confused on the way." Unknown

"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." Abraham Lincoln

Nigel's giving Jose a bit of a letdown... HOWEVER, he's saying that this could be his last week.

WHY did he say that? - because this makes people vote for him, and I truly feel that this should be Jose's last week - especially since he's apparently in the actual tour now and he could really work on tightening up his B-boy to make it outstanding. And I think he can when Nigel said last week he was improving in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4011100;
    Grr... Mia says that Jose kept up... I disagree by far. They simplified this just enough to let him dance - the guest host is a lot more accurate in her assessment that Jose fits the older dancer in the duo.
    aahh..but our guest judge so eloquently said, the routine was choreographed so that Jose (being the older wiser one..hhhumph) didn't have to do as much, or kick as high....nice way to say..Jose you just can't hang here anymore!

don't get me wrong, I think the kid is a super swell kid, and he has such an infectious smile, but his dancing skills sorely lack..just sayin'

FORT Fogey

Lauren & AdéChiké - Fox Trot

Our first Fox Trot of the season. This is a very jazz-oriented Fox Trot - you wouldn't see Fred and Ginger dancing this. Lauren adapts well - AdéChiké is once again too stiff for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;4011054;
    Billy & Ade - Contemporary

Stacey Tookey has a routine about a business man and a homeless person. I love this piece. I love the perspective - Tookey keeps them often on different planes. Billy does his best character work the season.

Contemporary - In the early 20th Century some choreographers such as Isadora Duncan and later Martha Graham rebelled against the strict ballet conventions and created Modern Dance. This evolved into into what we now think of as contemporary. It can be lyrical or aggressive, but it tries to express complex themes and emotions and doesn't use a lot of what might be thought of as "steps". The emphasis in on unique and organic movement. Twyla Tharp and Alvin Ailey are Contemporary choreographers.

Jazz - Jack Cole revolutionized Broadway dance in the 30's and 40's with his own break from ballet, but in a more theatrical and rhythmic style based on Jazz music. (Danny Kaye satirized Cole in his number Choreography in the movie White Christmas.) It is more "step" oriented than Contemporary, and emphasizes the beat - often with finger snaps and hand claps. Bob Fosse picked up and advanced Jazz in the late 20th Century. The Pop style (music video choreography, like Paula Abdul, Michael Jackson, and Wade Robson) came from Jazz.
    Thanks Top. When I was a wee girl, I took gymnastics, modern dance, jazz and tap. I knew the difference. But, I swear SYTYCD confuses me sometimes. Morphing the styles and such. My new irritation is the watering down of hip hop.

Watching on timeslip so I'm a bit behind.
    Loved Billy and Ade. I almost always loved Ade's routines.
    I love that despite his build and power he can be extremely graceful.
    Always enjoy watching him even when I don't love the actual routine.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;4011139;
    Lauren & AdéChiké - Fox Trot

Our first Fox Trot of the season. This is a very jazz-oriented Fox Trot - you wouldn't see Fred and Ginger dancing this. Lauren adapts well - AdéChiké is once again too stiff for me.
    I agree with you TopCat..he soooo needs to loosen up, but that is what the judges have been saying all season..

dougrayfan: Choreographer Spencer could be an Osmond, reminds me of Donny Osmond (resemblance).
    This is tooo funny, I thought the guy looked "familiar" and your resemblence remark hit the nail on the head!

I'm really starting to think that if Ade's in the bottom three, he'll be out. While I understand the comments - (I agree he's stiff - but with the judging he's gotten this season, how CAN he relax?) the judges are critiquing his face more than anything else - it's like they HAVE to find something to nitpick him. And Mia? - honestly, I think she despises AdeChike for some reason.

Now, I don't mind if it is Lauren and Kent in the finals, but if Jose for sure and IMHO Billy aren't eliminated, then I will feel that it's a conspiracy. Billy honestly should've been DQ'd IMHO because he was cleared for dancing and if he makes it further, I feel that it will be unfair to all of those who danced last week when he gave himself a week off.

This whole show tonight is irking me for that reason.

+ Reply to Thread