+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 7/28 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 7/28 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

That was kind of a stupid number, IMO. But I can't really blame the dancers.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Can someone explain the difference between Jazz and Contemporary? I still don't get it? Lyrical Jazz???

I think the girls did well...I agree with Adam.... I too think that Lauren is already of "all star" material

Bwah ha. Uncle Nigel forgot where he IS again.

Psssst... This is the one with the stupid "Shoobie Doobie Dance" theme, instead of the one with the equally stupid "Ahh Ahh' disco mix, Nige...

I hated the choreography of the Broadway number. I liked the Wonder Woman Girl Power advertising but was sooo disappointed with actual routine. I hated that the first all-girl partnership was for Broadway. But, Broadway can be better than that. Ugh!

FORT Fogey

Billy & Ade - Contemporary

Stacey Tookey has a routine about a business man and a homeless person. I love this piece. I love the perspective - Tookey keeps them often on different planes. Billy does his best character work the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Quemoni;4011002;
    Can someone explain the difference between Jazz and Contemporary? I still don't get it? Lyrical Jazz???
    Contemporary - In the early 20th Century some choreographers such as Isadora Duncan and later Martha Graham rebelled against the strict ballet conventions and created Modern Dance. This evolved into into what we now think of as contemporary. It can be lyrical or aggressive, but it tries to express complex themes and emotions and doesn't use a lot of what might be thought of as "steps". The emphasis in on unique and organic movement. Twyla Tharp and Alvin Ailey are Contemporary choreographers.

Jazz - Jack Cole revolutionized Broadway dance in the 30's and 40's with his own break from ballet, but in a more theatrical and rhythmic style based on Jazz music. (Danny Kaye satirized Cole in his number Choreography in the movie White Christmas.) It is more "step" oriented than Contemporary, and emphasizes the beat - often with finger snaps and hand claps. Bob Fosse picked up and advanced Jazz in the late 20th Century. The Pop style (music video choreography, like Paula Abdul, Michael Jackson, and Wade Robson) came from Jazz.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 07-28-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quemoni;4011029;
    I hated the choreography of the Broadway number. I liked the Wonder Woman Girl Power advertising but was sooo disappointed with actual routine. I hated that the first all-girl partnership was for Broadway. But, Broadway can be better than that. Ugh!
    I'd almost accuse the show of sabotage, except for the fact that the judges praised it.

I suppose in a sense that was fair, because the girls were both strong. But the choreography was dreadful. Just vanilla and bland--I starting forgetting elements of it moments after they happened, and I'm sure by tomorrow I won't remember even a single moment of it.

Being the synical skeptic type, I find in incredibly convenient that Billy gets contemporary and is a character who is desperate..gee sound familiar? In addition he gets to dance with his face covered..so we can't see that blank look he is famous for. Of course he dances fabously and the judges give him a standing ovation.

Anyone think that this is to change the opinion of those who boo hood his decision to NOT dance last week?

I find incredibly coincidental that he gets this number and genre of dance when he so deperately needs to change the minds of the voting public....

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Quemoni;4010909;
    Hi All! I'm late again. Ok, so 2 leave this week. My favs are Kent, Adechike and Lauren.
    Those are my top 3 also as represented in my avatar. Still an hour and a half to go before the show here in S.F. so I always read the spoiler thread as an appetizer about this time. (6:30pm)

FORT Fogey

Jose & Kent - Broadway

Spencer Liff does a number with two guys checking out the ladies. (Evan Kasprzak last year would have killed to have this number.) That was fun. Kent was wonderful. Jose wasn't bad.

+ Reply to Thread