+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 7/22 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/22 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

So a dancer makes the decision to not dance after the doctors say he can and is rewarded by staying another week?

I am not impressed or pleased by this (non?) decision.
    Last edited by Doats; 07-22-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: My very agreement isn't doing well this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3999049;
    I think I get the reasoning here:
    • Robert isn't growing, but danced well
    • Jose is growing, but didn't dance particularly well
    • Billy has been performing better, but they don't want to reward Billy for not dancing
    • They also don't want to penalize a dancer for making a health decision

So they let them all dance next week and let them stand or fall.
    I guess that makes sense. I still think it's a total cop-out. I think it should have been Billy taking a walk.

With the decision to eliminate 2 dancers next week, the decision should be completely left with the audience. We're half way through the competition, why are the judges making the decisions at this point? Note to producers, if we're picking our favorite dancer shouldn't our votes be making the decisions? Just a thought. . . . . . . .
    "Grammar is the bus that carries the words, without it they have to walk, and get very confused on the way." Unknown

"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Doats;3999061;
    So a dancer makes the decision to not dance after the doctors say he can and is rewarded by staying another week?
    As Nigel explained, this is not a decision solely about Billy. It is about how to fairly judge all three dancers.

To eliminate Billy simply because he didn't dance would set the precedent that contestants must dance if a doctor clears them; even if they feel they might be seriously injured if the performed. I don't think the judges wanted to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by dougrayfan;3999095;
    With the decision to eliminate 2 dancers next week, the decision should be completely left with the audience.
    I completely agree. If the judges are still sending people home next week, I will really be peeved.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3999104;
    As Nigel explained, this is not a decision solely about Billy. It is about how to fairly judge all three dancers.
    Still, the judges non-decision left a bad taste in my mouth. Just a personal assessment as I feel Billy's taking a week's rest seemed unfair to the remainder of the dancers.

On the other hand, something about Billy just puts me off. It's my personal taste (bias?) but I can't seem to warm up to him.

I think Billy has a problem relating to "people". Yes he is a gifted dancer, but he is not a performer, there is no connection to the audience. Then when he is asked to connect he shows an arrogance, almost as if everyone else is beneath his "superior" being.

I think he has checked himself out of this competition. He has finally realized it is America's FAVORITE dancer that is chosen..not always the BEST dancer (which of course he thinks he is..) therein lies Billy's problem. IMHO anyway

at any rate I think the shake up will be good for ratings..lets face it in seasons past this board would be lit up for hours..not it is dead silence..not much action..I mean where is everyone..you would think that the Bachlorette Board still has some discussion going on over there..I mean we already know how that one will end.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3999104;

To eliminate Billy simply because he didn't dance would set the precedent that contestants must dance if a doctor clears them; even if they feel they might be seriously injured if the performed. I don't think the judges wanted to go there.
    I agree and disagree here - while yes, it's possible Billy could've been reinjured further, there is a chance he might not have. But, I blame Nigel here by not demanding he get a second opinion and be doubly cleared to dance and let Billy make the choice.

Personally, I find Billy not dancing a cop-out if he was cleared by the doctors to continue dancing. This isn't Ashley or Alex-type injuries - which are CLEARLY visible that they couldn't compete, and ended up kicking them out. He was allowed to dance, but he chose not to.

But, here's where I disagree - Nigel saying it wasn't fair to judge the dancers here. Let's review:

Jose and Robert DID dance.

Billy could've danced but chose not to. I'd rather had him do a simplified dance than him choosing the path he did. Did they say what his non-stomp dance was? - because if it was any that didn't require leaps, then this really was an unfair advantage. I'd rather him danced at least that ballroom/salsa, etc. because then he'd had danced. He might have gone home, but then again he could've dominated like the one fellow NOT selected who had the hamstring injury.

Personally, if I were going to be fair - Billy would be disqualified for refusing to dance in spite of being cleared. Again, the hamstring injured person who didn't make the final 11 is a key example here - I think he'd danced unless he had an injury like Alex or Ashley (or been knocked out - that guy was so good.)

Then again - I will maintain this week Billy was clearly saved by Nigel not thinking of having them do a second opinion here and having several say that Billy could dance. Then when Billy chose to not dance, it'd been fair - the other two, no matter how well/poor they did, would've had a foot up compared to Billy.

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;3999004;
    whoa...now there is a twist..I can't help but wonder if Billy wasn't saying "sh**..sh**..sh**" inside...

I think that although this is a needed "twist" for this season, I think that prolonging the inevitable for Jose, Billy and Robert is unkind...

ETA: well..Billy & Jose anyway...I think Robert & Ade C are a toss up between who goes..at this point short of some horribly wronged choreography I think Kent & Lauren will be top 2
    I agree here - I'm hoping Billy for sure and Jose are eliminated next week. I'm going to make sure Ade makes it to at least final five and four, because he's good but underrated.

That said, I do see a Kent/Lauren final two, which I won't be upset with given that Alex cannot compete. (Otherwise, I think it'd been Alex versus Kent - both good and both America's favorite dancer IMHO).

I won't be upset if Ade, Kent, Lauren or Robert win this (in that order, though Lauren and Kent are tied for second). Jose, I'd be a bit disappointed, but at least he's tried every challenge thrown at him (and I agree with Nigel - he has improved this week on B-boy).

BILLY - if he won, I will be livid. Seeing as someone mentioned him dancing afterward makes me really feel this was a copout this week and I hope Nigel saw it and considers eliminating him anyway for this. We've seen it with others on other shows (Tough Enough's Wendell).

I'm not happy with the result at all. Billy should have been booted. While watching the credits, when the kids are dancing around, I noticed Billy jumping in the circle with everyone else on BOTH legs. Then, as if catching himself he began jumping using only his left leg. If he can do that then he could have danced last night. I too was hoping that Nigel saw it and would decide to go ahead and boot Billy before next week. Next week I feel that Jose and Billy will be leaving, unless Adechicke or Robert really screw up their dances.

FORT Fogey

Jadwarlock - it looks like you saw my amended post before the server apparently ate it - so I'll reconstruct it here (add update it).

To eliminate Billy simply because he didn't dance would set the precedent that contestants must dance if a doctor clears them; even if they feel they might be seriously injured if they performed. Doctors judge muscle, bone, and tendon. But they are not familiar with the specific strain unatural movement throws on the body. A dancer knows. I don't think the judges wanted to set a policy of overriding a personal health assessment.

Billy's decision was not a "free pass". There was a price for his decision - he risked leaving tonight.

Re: Billy's "arrogance"

Billy is an introvert. I am in introvert, as are about 10% of the population. Introverts can be great performers and artist (George Lucas, Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep, and Barbra Streisand are all introverts.) But they are lousy interviews, They find it hard to sit down and talk. And in the lack of communication, people ascribe all sorts of motives. You've got to judge him by his dancing, because he's not going to give you anything else to go on. Just like De Niro.

Quote Originally Posted by dougrayfan;3999095;
    With the decision to eliminate 2 dancers next week, the decision should be completely left with the audience.
    I completely agree. If the judges are still sending people home next week, I will really be peeved
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 07-23-2010 at 12:46 AM.

+ Reply to Thread