+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 82

Thread: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

  1. #41
    FORT Fogey Maybaybie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,016

    Re: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Yup that played out pretty much like I said in my post from last night. Snore. Get well soon, Alex!

    Mia's apology was very backhanded and it wasn't heartfelt. She made an excuse (I'm just so passionate....) for why she did what she did. It made her apology cheap and meaningless.

    And speaking of what Mia said last night...if it was so horrible (which it was), why did they have to replay that entire segment and what she said all over again- it was bad enough hearing it the first time. I'm sure Adechike just looooved hearing it a second time as well. Geesh...poor kid.

  2. #42
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    84

    Re: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Not a good week for Mia. Firstly, I was not transported by the opening dance. I am willing to place partial blame on the costumers in that I thought the men were over-feminized in their angel outfits. There was just too much white billowing "stuff" on stage and the skort on Billy and the bustier on Adechicke were strangely off-putting.

    And the "apology" was awkward to watch. Someone needs to coach the judges on the ingredients of a proper apology. In my world, an apology has several components:

    1) Briefly and directly state what you (the offender) did wrong in clear, unequivocal language.
    2) State how this harmed the other person, showing that you understand the negative *impact* of your actions
    3) Take full ownership without excuses
    4) Offer heartfelt sorrow - this is the actual apology words "I'm sorry"
    5) SO IMPORTANT: Assure the person you have learned from your mistake and _promise_ to never do it again. You are a changed person!

    If any one of those steps are missing, it simply is not a full apology. For example, someone can do steps 1 through 4 but then not make any promises (and have no intention) to not repeat the offense. This is not a real apology. It is like slapping someone, stating your apology and then the next day slapping the person again.

    There were problems with all 5 steps of Mia's apology. I am not talking about doing it in any particular order or about speaking eloquently - I am talking about her not taking full ownership. She blamed her "passion", something she clearly sees as a positive personal trait. In other words, she left room to do it again in the name of her passion. There is room for personal growth here but I suspect that her ideal about having an artist's temperament and her sense of entitlement within the entertainment industry is getting in the way

    To be clear, I am _not_ looking for more apologies from Mia. She bungled the apology and I just hope in the future she learns from it and does better the next time she needs to apologize to someone.

    Mia is a brilliant artist who is on a reality tv show - and it has brought out her genius but also has in my opinion fed into some of her weaknesses as a person. In the end, she is on a judge's panel and being an *sshole at times can be good for ratings. In other words, she has made a deal with the devil -- TV reality land -- which has given her an avenue to share her art but also has her playing a "role" as judge. I for one hope that she decides in favor of her art and gives up the judge "role" next season so that she can concentrate on her creative side. If as a choreographer she wants to be a jerk to her own dancers from time to time, I'm all for that. However, being a jerk as a judge and giving insincere apologies really doesn't further her art or her humanity. I hope she sees that, too.
    Last edited by Annika; 07-09-2010 at 03:41 AM.

  3. #43
    FORT Fan BerryCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    380

    Re: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    So very sad that Alex is out for the season. He was so happy to finally be on the show, then he gets hurt. What an amazing and dedicated dancer! Are the conditions on this show too hard on the dancers? How about dancing barefoot on the hard stage floor? Just wondering...

    On a lighter note, got to see all-star Mark again. Yay! The week was not all a bust.
    Last edited by BerryCrazy; 07-09-2010 at 04:01 AM.

  4. #44
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565

    Re: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Why are we supposed to take judges seriously who tell EVERY contestant that they don't belong in the bottom when they are nominated? Who's supposed to be in the bottom if nobody belongs?

    Idiots.

    Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge;3971186;
    No, they danced together in the auditions, which were aired on the show. Therefore, they've danced together on the show. Saying that it's the first time they've danced together on the show is just a marketing ploy.
    I believe that's why Cat said instead that it was the first time they'd danced together LIVE ON STAGE on the show. Or if she didn't use that wording, it was very clear its what she meant, because she preceded their intro by talking about how they'd danced together in the auditions, and showed tape. And marketing what to who? We were already watching the show when this was talked about--so its not like it was marketing the episode.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3970800;
    Billy = B3 with Alex.....I'm scared for Alex.

    Adam - "Billy this is not about your dancing....." uh, actually it is. Billy is not connecting to the audience and viewers, he is not living up to his hype and he comes off as "entitled". All of that IS about the dancing, there is more to the dance than being able to put your foot in one place and your arm in the other. To me, Billy does not live, breath, and ooze the dancing. He is what I'd call a "Dance by the numbers" sort of dancer and that is why he is in the bottom and why Robert is probably there with him.

    They both have that "quality".
    Yeah, but the thing is for some reason both Billy and Kent are getting that "Peter Pan" edit, where they're that kind of "cute" (not in a sexual sense, but more in an asexual one) which producers love, and well... usually fans too (which is why Kent will probably win this thing, even though he's far from the best dancer on the show).
    Last edited by Krom; 07-09-2010 at 05:50 AM.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  5. #45
    Crazy Shutterbug Harmony2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,163

    Re: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    The question to myself is....how much longer will I last this season till I grow bored and disenchanted with the inevitable win of Kent? How much longer can I take the propping up of a horrible dancer, Jose, and the propping up of a dancer who has failed to deliver time and time again, Billy before I find something else to watch.

    The answer is.....not very long.

    Alex made this season bearable. It already had a major strike going into it and that was the addition of Mia, the one person on this show I loathe above all others and now this. I was as teary-eyed as Alex when the news was delivered. At least we have two amazing routines to remember his time by.

    I'm not sure that coming back next season is a good idea, will he suffer the fate of Billy? Will he go from Golden Boy to What Did We See In Him? And will the general consensus be that he isn't living up to his hype because a new Golden Boy has emerged? My hope is that he is brought back as an all-star and not a contestant or that somehow he can manage to transcend the Billy Curse and be just as good when he comes back. My dream is that he comes back and goes head to head with Anthony Burrell as the final two. Now THAT would be an epic season and one I would watch from start to finish.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

  6. #46
    FoRT Lurker CrossingGuard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area / Boston
    Age
    21
    Posts
    5,836

    Re: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Alex and Billy are two different cases IMO. Billy left after only dancing in the introduction show at the very beginning; he left before the actual performance shows began. He developed some fans after being heavily featured in the auditions, but it wasn't to a point where he had a formidable fanbase. On the other hand, Alex had been in the competition for 4 weeks and was the biggest threat to Kent for the title. If he were to be brought back as a contestant, I would bet that he would at least make it very far into the show, if not win.

    I'm was reading another forum, and someone said that the same thing happened with a contestant on the Scandanavian version of the show. A female contestant left S1 because of a serious injury only to come back to win the next season.

    I know that our version and the Scadanavian version are two different shows in two different parts of the world, but I really think that Alex is loved enough that this could very well happen to him. And I just think that's unfair, since new contestants who want to try out for S8 will be at a great disadvantage from the get-go.

    I wasn't a fan of Alex's, so maybe that influences my opinion. He was a fantastic dancer, but he just never caught my interest enough for me to root for him. It's unfortunate that this injury had to eliminate him from the competition, but I don't want to come into next summer knowing who the probable winner will be. What's the fun in that? And like I said before, that's unfair to anyone who wants to try out for the show.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

  7. #47
    Big Blue - Tayshaun! superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,694

    Re: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3971281;
    Why are we supposed to take judges seriously who tell EVERY contestant that they don't belong in the bottom when they are nominated? Who's supposed to be in the bottom if nobody belongs?

    Idiots.
    They want Adechike gone.

  8. #48
    Crazy Shutterbug Harmony2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,163

    Re: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by superfly;3971362;
    They want Adechike gone.
    I hope the voters keep him in out of spite to Mia till the bitter end. I probably won't be watching since I'll lose interest before that, I'm sure. But seeing the pain in his eyes when he was forced to face Mia was almost as heart breaking as losing Alex.

    Nobody, especially these talented and sensitive kids, deserve to be treated the way Mia treats them. As has been said, the difference between her and Simon is that Simon hates the performance while Mia makes it very clear that she hates the performer.

    Huge difference.

    And why I can't stand her and without Alex I don't really have any reason to put up with her anymore (thank goodness for the ability to fast forward to the routines and past anything else).
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

  9. #49
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    This is what I see with Alex and his potential future of "SYTYCD":

    1. I think the next three months as he is recovering he's going to do an analysis of his time on this show and everything it entails on and off stage. They have to dance just about every single day - rehearsals and show, and sometimes this can be very taxing on the body of even the best trained dancers.

    2. If he thinks there's too much risk of having a permanent injury - which this one could've been, he probably will not come back so he can dance for a very long time.

    3. If he thinks that he can dance more along the less taxing role of the all-stars, he may ask to audition for one of the All-Star spots. The only issue I think that could occur here is if all the all-stars made it longer than week 3 (dancing wise, week for just being there). The PLUS however is that they know Alex can dance well and can most likely give good pointers to the new contestants.

    The one thing I hope for his sake he doesn't do is actually audition again unless he really wants to. I don't want him to have a stigma like Billy where people loathe him because he returned and he pales in comparison to the new talent. That's not fair to him or any of the contestants - or those auditioning who should be there. This I felt is what happened to Anthony, he was turned away because of Billy, and in fact, I felt the mere fact that there were SIX men selected only added as a slap to his face.

    Mia's future:

    1. If she continues to attack people like she did AdeChike, Nigel will have to either demote her or fire her. I've noticed she tends to be overly harsh toward people she wants out of the show, thinking she has dictatorship over how we vote.

    2. If she's passionate and uses it to TRULY apologize, I think people will warm up to her. I don't think this will happen though.

    Adam is probably the best thing to happen to the judging panel of the three there - other than Nigel, who tries to not show favortism (though he does have trouble), he is the only other one who really gives notes and makes it more on the dance and not the person.

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Out of those left, I actually enjoy AdeChike, Lauren, Ashley, and Robert. Kent really has got to get into character because he's good but the face ruins the bodywork.

    Billy I'd just rather see go - too arrogant and thinks he has this won. You can tell it by his mannerisms when he's critiqued.

    Jose? - if it were B-boy all the time I'd like him. BUT, he's not doing well. I did think he was the better one in the African dance, but this is saying something.

    If it becomes any more obvious in the critiques the judges give on who they want to stay, I may leave because I think that they should dictate to us that we made the wrong decision on who they want to keep in and leave. If this is such an issue Nigel, then you should just up and decide week to week who goes home, but do that, the show will disappear.

  10. #50
    Crazy Shutterbug Harmony2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,163

    Re: 7/8 Results Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3971508;
    Billy I'd just rather see go - too arrogant and thinks he has this won. You can tell it by his mannerisms when he's critiqued.
    His solo, where he stood there clapping with this awful stank look on his face as if he were pissed off and wondering how dare America do this to him when he is so awesome, really illustrated your point.

    Whether or not this is the real Billy (what was shown with that clapping and that look) who knows but it is the way he is projecting himself and since we only have that to go off (not knowing him personally and not being shown anything else) it is what he is viewed as.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.