+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 7/7 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 7/7 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3969618;
    Alex was the only one who could stop Kent's direct march to the winners spot and if he is out? This show will become boring and predictable. The over hyping we are seeing of some of the contestants is the judges/producers desperate attempt to stop this from happening. They know how the voting is going, they aren't so stupid or naive as to not see it coming and know that many will grow bored/disenchanted when there is one clear winner and no competition and will tune in to a different show.

Pity about Alex but this is what happens when you cast one phenomenal dancer and one insanely charismatic dancer with little regard for what the others are compromised of, they should have done a better job with the casting.
    I agree - really the only one who interests me right now is Robert. Kent does, but he's SO got to change his expressions or he'll get voted out. That said, expression on his face wise he was better in the duet with Lauren.

Melinda is a prime example of this....as is Cristina....they expect us to believe that Melinda was the best tap dancer they could find and Cristina was the best ballroom? Yeah right.
    Melinda was good, but not that great I will give you that. They also should've added one more female dancer IMHO when they chose to bring golden boy Billy back.

Hopefully Alex will be ok but he is a beast and I have a feeling that the injury is severe otherwise he would have danced through it like he more than likely has done in the past and that has me worried, I would be surprised if he continues. Poor kid, he was the only one this season who threw himself with everything he had into his routines, no holding back (this is probably why he got injured) because he was so eager to learn and be challenged and it was why he had become my favorite. It was such a joy watching him attack everything.
    This I agree with, but tempered. Unlike say his time in his dance group, Alex is not being paid to dance as a regular job. Sure, he gets paid for appearing, but not having to dance seriously every single day.

And, because I do feel that he's the real golden boy of this show this season as far as dance talent, and given all he's sacrificed (the Miami troupe director pretty much implied he won't put Alex back in the same spot he was in the troupe, if he could return at all), I think they're going to make sure to give Alex a fair chance and rest.

Alex in turn would take that rest because this has been his dream - to be on the show, and he wouldn't fight through the pain to either a. end up in the bottom three and worse b. get injured more severely he WOULD have to leave the show.

The rest of your comment is spot on regarding him - he's thrown everything into the routines. Even his broadway did fit some elements of Fosse, but more along "Pippin" and less of other styles Fosse has done.

I do think he'd been stronger in the Bollywood number, and hope he has a chance to dance it.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3969682;
    Simon Cowell:
    • Rude
    • Professional
    • Brutally honest; hurt feelings don't matter; this is music business, get used to it
    • Tells people that they are boring; should have voted them off last week; will have no career; sound like a cat falling off a building

Result: Public loves him; a national treasure; the only judge worth listening to

Mia Michaels
    • Rude
    • Professional
    • Brutally honest; hurt feelings don't matter; this is the dance world, get used to it
    • Tells people that they have no personality; should have voted them off last week; they are not as good as they think they are

Result: Bitch

Double standard?
    Not really on my part - can't stand either.

But IMHO, Mia's is worse because hers is more of a facade - she tries to look like she's being nice, but then she acts like a witch. If she hates something, she needs to be direct IMHO, not go "Well, this is going to be tough for me to say, because you're a sweetheart, but... I'm really missing Alex now. You did an OK job, but I'm missing Alex."

Simon on the other hand would say it straight out "AdeChike, Alex is better and has more talent. You either need to improve or you'll be voted out."

I think people respect Simon more than Mia because he doesn't try to temper his strong opinion - he says it like it is. If Mia did that, I'd have more respect for her and not see her as a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by dannape;3969772;
    Even poor alex held his head down and shook his head when Mia was talking about how much she missed him this week, it was just wrong on her part...favortism?????????? Absolutely
    This just makes me respect Alex even more - to react to Mia's retort like this shows that he doesn't think it's right either. I can't say that others in this season would act this way - Billy really comes across as someone who wouldn't.

And Kudos to AdeChike for NOT snapping back at Mia - he really IMHO had a good case to, contest or not.

FORT Regular

My two cents on Mia Michaels:

The aim of any criticism should be to elicit understanding, comprehension and improvement on the part of the person being critiqued.

Bring your message/critique to the dancer in a way that they can understand what you are saying and are motivated to improve on that technical dancer and performance stuff being pointed out.

If the dancer fails to engage, understand, comprehend or improve, you have failed that dancer as a judge.

A 'One size fits all critique' does not accomplish the above in all cases.

jmho

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie;3970136;

The aim of any criticism should be to elicit understanding, comprehension and improvement on the part of the person being critiqued.

Bring your message/critique to the dancer in a way that they can understand what you are saying and are motivated to improve on that technical dancer and performance stuff being pointed out.

If the dancer fails to engage, understand, comprehend or improve, you have failed that dancer as a judge.

jmho
    Exactly! And I think in past years (pre-the Brandon debacle), Mia supplied awesome, pointed technical advise.

I just hope Cat isn't the one called on the carpet for last night for having the guts and sense of fairness to voice what we all at home were thinking. I literally screamed at my tv moments before she said it. I was so put off that they could praise Jose's Bollywood and slam AdeChike the way they did.

If they don't pull this show back on track it will self-destruct. Last night was a good sized implosion.

Simon Cowell:
    • Rude
    • Professional
    • Brutally honest; hurt feelings don't matter; this is music business, get used to it
    • Tells people that they are boring; should have voted them off last week; will have no career; sound like a cat falling off a building

Result: Public loves him; a national treasure; the only judge worth listening to

Mia Michaels
    • Rude
    • Professional
    • Brutally honest; hurt feelings don't matter; this is the dance world, get used to it
    • Tells people that they have no personality; should have voted them off last week; they are not as good as they think they are

Double standard?
    Not really. Simon comes off as more credible than Mia does with judging. If Mia had her way on SYTYCD, either Billy or Ashley would win.

FORT Fan

Simon Cowell:
    • Rude
    • Professional

Mia Michaels
    • Rude
    • Professional

Double standard?
    I began by writing a long explanation of what I think the difference is when it suddenly hit me.

Simon may hate the performance but (I think) Mia actually hates the performer.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;3970220;
    I began by writing a long explanation of what I think the difference is when it suddenly hit me.

Simon may hate the performance but (I think) Mia actually hates the performer.

Nancy
    And there you have the difference. It's so true. Simon may get annoyed with a contestant but Mia downright loathes them. And they are JUST kids for the most part.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3969906;
    Mia vs. Simon is not a double standard for me; I don't like either of them. However, Simon is at least articulate and coherent even when he's being obnoxious. Mia is neither articulate nor coherent in her critiques and I'm not interested in interpreting her grunts and squeals. I wasn't happy when I first heard she was replacing Mary Murphy, and I'm even less happy about it now.
    What she said

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie;3970136;

jmho
    Exactly, these are dancers, she speaks dance. I love her genuine love of dance. I think there is only one Mia and she does not switch off to make nice. The dancers love her. As do I.

Also just read Mary Murphy is returning to Broadway again. Cool for Mary!!
    Abbie

+ Reply to Thread