+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 7/7 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 7/7 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3969618;
    Pity about Alex but this is what happens when you cast one phenomenal dancer and one insanely charismatic dancer with little regard for what the others are compromised of, they should have done a better job with the casting.

Melinda is a prime example of this....as is Cristina....they expect us to believe that Melinda was the best tap dancer they could find and Cristina was the best ballroom? Yeah right.

You are absolutely right...the judges have brought this upon themselves. IT is very similar to AI when they pick people for a certain trait and pass over others who are far more talented because they are "casting" a show instead of hosting a pure competition. I think this is the year it is really going to bite them all, first with AI and that terrible dude winning and now with SYTYCD having few contestants who can actually truly impressive America.

FORT Regular

Not all of us love the opinions of Simon Cowell. Actually I loathe him.

Mia's comments to Adechike were out of line.

I'm still baffled that Anthony Burrell wasn't in the top 11.

Personally I find this season rather dull (with the exception of Alex).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;3969730;
    Mia is obnoxiously cruel in delivering her verdict (with noises, sounds, handgestures, facial expressions etc). Simon just delivers the news..matter of fact..with certainty. Although his content may be the same....his delivery is more accepted...
    It's definitely the way she delivers it - if she likes something, she gushes, cries, and falls overherself trying to find words like wow... if she doesn't like the contestant she goes off the deep end, humiliating and cruel.
    Simon - if he likes it he will say "brilliant" or some other positive comment, but rarely is he over the top either way. When boring or bad, he states the fact. he doesn't compare the contestant to others or say how he wishes someone else was on the stage...BIG difference.

FORT Fogey

I think it's the credibility and consistency factor - not whether the person is making a negative comment. Simon tells it like it is regardless of whether the contestant is well liked - Mia never gives poor reviews to her favorites. Though I won't ever say I miss mary's screaming...I always fast forwarded through her, and now will begin to do that with Mia.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3969682;
    Simon Cowell:
    • Rude
    • Professional
    • Brutally honest; hurt feelings don't matter; this is music business, get used to it
    • Tells people that they are boring; should have voted them off last week; will have no career; sound like a cat falling off a building

Result: Public loves him; a national treasure; the only judge worth listening to

Mia Michaels
    • Rude
    • Professional
    • Brutally honest; hurt feelings don't matter; this is the dance world, get used to it
    • Tells people that they have no personality; should have voted them off last week; they are not as good as they think they are

Result: Bitch

Double standard?
    I actually don't agree on this one - and probably in another case I would. First, let me state that I have always been a huge Mia Michaels fan. In past seasons, yes Mia could be Mia, but she always had very solid technique criticism in there (like Simon, who does really know the business).

This year, she's not giving them things they can work with. It's just purely emotional and very bogged down with favoritism. Adam is really the only one giving them "technique tips" for improvement. And yet, I can also see that Adam is trying to "tread lightly" with Nigel and Mia.

If Mia were really giving solid advice for improvement with her critiques, I would then agree that it is a double standard. I think she's drinking the koolaid on her own persona hype and she needs to take a look at the heart she seems to have lost.

Nigel - fix your show. It's broken and us longtime fans would like to see you get it back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3969802;
    It's definitely the way she delivers it - if she likes something, she gushes, cries, and falls overherself trying to find words like wow... if she doesn't like the contestant she goes off the deep end, humiliating and cruel.
    Simon - if he likes it he will say "brilliant" or some other positive comment, but rarely is he over the top either way. When boring or bad, he states the fact. he doesn't compare the contestant to others or say how he wishes someone else was on the stage...BIG difference.
    And to add to this because it's what I would have said and what I think, Mia makes it personal. Simon leaves no doubt that it's not personal and that he could care less. Mia goes way beyond making comments to downright smashing the ones she doesn't like into the ground. She is cruel, viscous and seems to want nothing more than to destroy the person from the inside out.

Least that is the vibe she gave off when she attacked Brandon so brutally, I have hated this woman since then and I don't for a moment buy that she is that way with the ones she likes the best "tough love my butt!" If this is how she shows "love" then she needs to run to a therapist quickly because something is very wonky in the love world of hers.

And Mia....I miss Mary! (bet she wouldn't like it if somebody did that to her in the same way she did it to Ade2).

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

If Alex is out, I will probably watch a couple more weeks and then I'm done with this season. The others have not captured my attention/interest and that is not just empty talking. I honestly can't remember the last time I've watched this show till the end, mostly because the ones who win have failed to interest me (not since Sabra actually have I watched till the end without missing a single show).
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Mia vs. Simon is not a double standard for me; I don't like either of them. However, Simon is at least articulate and coherent even when he's being obnoxious. Mia is neither articulate nor coherent in her critiques and I'm not interested in interpreting her grunts and squeals. I wasn't happy when I first heard she was replacing Mary Murphy, and I'm even less happy about it now.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Juls2;3969862;
    I actually don't agree on this one - and probably in another case I would. First, let me state that I have always been a huge Mia Michaels fan. In past seasons, yes Mia could be Mia, but she always had very solid technique criticism in there (like Simon, who does really know the business).

This year, she's not giving them things they can work with. It's just purely emotional and very bogged down with favoritism. Adam is really the only one giving them "technique tips" for improvement. And yet, I can also see that Adam is trying to "tread lightly" with Nigel and Mia.

If Mia were really giving solid advice for improvement with her critiques, I would then agree that it is a double standard. I think she's drinking the koolaid on her own persona hype and she needs to take a look at the heart she seems to have lost.

Nigel - fix your show. It's broken and us longtime fans would like to see you get it back on track.
    I agree with you. Simon is steady in his judging style. Mia is all over the road map. Simons solid and brief praise compared with Mia becoming emotionally involved to the point of distraction then flipping to mean is jarring. Mia has favorites; Simon had favorites of the moment and they were based soley on their preformances. They were not a blind "in love" predjudice.

I have always been a Mia fan and was delighted to see her replace Mary. Mary's screaming and hot tamle train got on my nerves.

I am still willing to hang in there with Mia in hopes that Nigel had words with her about her critique last night. The smart money is on either hearing an apology from Mia or seeing her operate more professionally during the rest of the show. I cannot belive that Nigel was not horrified, thus him chiming in at the end to ease the pain, clearly evidenced in Adechike's face. Adam was uncomfortable with Mia's critique as well. She has been called on the carpet, absolutely.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3969597;
    My favorite was Kent and Lauren. And I really dislike both of them. "Lucky" for them that they "happened" to get a contemporary routine danced by two contemporary dancers. What "luck!" But I did really enjoy it.
    EVERYONE that has gotten contemporary this season has danced it with a contemporary partner.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3969618;
    Melinda is a prime example of this....as is Cristina....they expect us to believe that Melinda was the best tap dancer they could find and Cristina was the best ballroom? Yeah right.
    I don't understand why Melinda was cast. We just experienced three great tappers. I was hopeful about Cristina. She did salsa, belly dancing, and some contemporary. She didn't stay around long enough for us to know any of that though. So why did they think it was a better idea to keep the tapper than the more well-rounded dancer? These judges are killing me!
    I think they need to eliminate Alex. He's great but he can't dance anymore. I don't think Kent will win. He is becoming obnoxious.

+ Reply to Thread