+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Failure/Success of the new format

FORT Fan

Re: Failure/Success of the new format

Before the season began I was arguing that partnering with a pro (I don't like the name "all stars") would show off the contestants to their advantage and would avoid them having to dance with a weaker contestant that might hold them back and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing. Next week, since they'll be dancing with a pro and a contestant both, we'll be able to tell the difference it makes for them to be supported by a pro without having to worry about their fellow contestant bringing them down.

As for starting with only 11, I like that because it means there were fewer so-so dancers to suffer through before we got to see the best dancers doing the best routines.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder;3960118;
    OK, now that we're several weeks in, what do guys think of the format? I know several didn't like it before seeing it, but opinions change...

I think I REALLY like parts of this format. I like that the dancers are more easily judged by the public because they dance without another contestant. Too often in the past we've seen a weak partner spell doom for multiple contestants before the judges realize it was the weak partner causing the problem.

I love seeing our old favorites dance again. And to see their improvement since they were contestants. Courtney, Lauren, Kathryn, Mark - all sensational.

One thing I DON'T like - severely - is that the format has caused this ridiculous 6 guy to 2 girl inequity. Now they dance together, so we will have 2 guy-guy pairings ... not fair to any of those 4 dancers. I also don't like that we were down to 11 at the beginning, only able to see 1 week of dancing before making important decisions. WAY too fast to know how good they are.

Proposal: Next year ... keep the all-star partner format (mixing in more stars if possible). But after Vegas, it's 10 guys and 10 girls. Each week, we vote off 1 of each. Keep it equal at LEAST to the top 6 if not the top 4 - and THEN vote off individuals. This gives us a far better chance at really having 10 solid performers in the top 10. The Melinda's of the world go home early in favor of what could easily have been more likable dancers that didn't make this show at all.

Thoughts?

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;3962245;
    As for starting with only 11, I like that because it means there were fewer so-so dancers to suffer through before we got to see the best dancers doing the best routines.
    The thing is, though, have we really?

Sometimes, it takes a few early routines to show who really is capable of shining on this show. I'm still stymied that they couldn't find a better b-boy than Jose (smiles aside, I really am not impressed with him in his own style as compared with past b-boys/hip-hop/krump dancers who wowed me right from their auditions, like Twitch, Legacy, Russell, etc.). Or a better ballroom dancer than Cristina (ditto what I just said about Jose, but -insert Pasha, Anya, etc here-), etc.

And also Melinda - "best dancer doing the best routine" just does NOT apply to her. I loved her in auditions. But facepalmed from the get-go when she started doing routines for competition.

This is probably the biggest drawback I see in the new format. I'd rather see a decent dancer grow and thrive and just knock the competition out of the water by the time the top 3/4 come around.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3962605;
    The thing is, though, have we really?
    O.K. so this season doesn't have the "best" dancers, but that may not be because of the new format. It may just be that not enough really excellent dancers applied this year.

As for Melinda, she got past the prelims merely because Nigel likes tap dancers but then he realized his mistake and then Adam and Mia put her through to Vegas against Nigel's advice. I've said it before, she's not even a good tap dancer and never should have been on in the first place.

I'm not a good judge of B-boys except for knowing what I like and I like Jose. So do lots of people including the judges so, like it or not, he's become a contestant to be reckoned with.

We have to keep in mind that it's "America's favorite dancer" not "best dancer". Unless and until they change that factor, dance experts are never going to be happy with this show.

Best to just sit back enjoy the dancers we do like because, if this show is cancelled because people don't like the new format, then what are we left with? Dancing with the Stars?? Lord help us.

Nancy
    Last edited by nabrudigam; 07-04-2010 at 03:07 PM.

All in all I don't like the new format very much. I understand the concept behind it of having them not be pulled down by their partner, but I really don't think it's showed us the contestants shining, or fostered as much growth in the contestants. Not to mention that the girls don't get a fair shot with the make up of the voting audience.

Jose and Melinda don't have cross training, while most other non contemporary dancers we've seen have actually been trained in contemporary. I think they hoped this format might allow a dancer other than contemporary to go far, but if you can't dance well you can't dance well, it doesn't matter who your partner is.

I'm not sure why they let so few ballroom dancers through as they have a lot of partner dance training and the good ones usually do well, but I do know fewer and fewer dancers of any style other than contemporary are even trying out these days, so perhaps the pickings are slim on who to put through.

One of the big things with partner dancing, which is 90% of this show, is developing a relationship with your partner, and this format does not allow that.

I like seeing the all stars, but I'd be just as happy seeing them do routines on the elimination show

FORT Fan

I understand the theory behind the all-stars, but in reality, it should have been either a season of all stars competing again (like Survivor) or have a top 20, whittle down 2 week then bring in all stars at top 10.

What I'm missing is the relationships. Perhaps they should have assigned a professional to a contestant instead of switching. (though it would have sucked to be assigned Comfort)

It's the constant switching I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3960305;
    Problem with that is the show would have to be on three days a week instead of two to fit in all the dances. Not really a problem for me...I could watch this show 7 days a week

I enjoy seeing the all stars, but I also liked the old format. Now if they had done what they are doing next week from the get go, I think I'd enjoy it more.
    Well... until this year it was ALWAYS 3 days a week the first 3 weeks. Guys one night, Girls one night, eliminations one night.

Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder;3971981;
    Well... until this year it was ALWAYS 3 days a week the first 3 weeks. Guys one night, Girls one night, eliminations one night.
    You're thinking of American Idol. The dancers have always competed as pairs on SYTYCD, so while guys and girls were eliminated in equal number, the competition itself was based on the same routines for the girls as the guys.

I like the partner switching and general format this year. I figure these folks are aiming to be professionals in this field and sometimes in this career choice you don't get to build huge relationships over a long time with your partners (depending on which area of dance you go into and what you do with it as a career). It's good to see them work with that reality.

And I like that better dancers aren't be drug down by bad partnerings they can't get out of. Or having to watch an entire dance suck because neither partner is familiar with the style. Those were always uncomfortable to watch.

I do think it's a problem that they're ending up with this gender issue on the show. They should have taken into account the target, voting audience and compensated for that. I enjoy watching some of the ballroom dances more than the other styles but it's going to be hard to do that with all men left.

I don't know how much longer I'll stick around with the shows as it's been phasing out of my life in the last few seasons. There seems to be heavy focus on contemporary dancers and has been for many seasons. Yeah they're more interesting to watch than a waltz but this season all those and similar style dances just seem to be blending together for me.

I do not like the fact that there were more males in the competition to begin with. I actually don't like the idea of the all-stars because my eyes often wonder to the veterans even if the new dancers are great.

But I do like the fact that they switch partners each week, also guy-guy/girl-girl pairing. I say keep that but go with the old format with even amount of guys and girls.
    Last edited by Brandongr3; 07-18-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder;3960118;
    OK, now that we're several weeks in, what do guys think of the format? I know several didn't like it before seeing it, but opinions change...

I think I REALLY like parts of this format. I like that the dancers are more easily judged by the public because they dance without another contestant. Too often in the past we've seen a weak partner spell doom for multiple contestants before the judges realize it was the weak partner causing the problem.

I love seeing our old favorites dance again. And to see their improvement since they were contestants. Courtney, Lauren, Kathryn, Mark - all sensational.

One thing I DON'T like - severely - is that the format has caused this ridiculous 6 guy to 2 girl inequity. Now they dance together, so we will have 2 guy-guy pairings ... not fair to any of those 4 dancers. I also don't like that we were down to 11 at the beginning, only able to see 1 week of dancing before making important decisions. WAY too fast to know how good they are.

Proposal: Next year ... keep the all-star partner format (mixing in more stars if possible). But after Vegas, it's 10 guys and 10 girls. Each week, we vote off 1 of each. Keep it equal at LEAST to the top 6 if not the top 4 - and THEN vote off individuals. This gives us a far better chance at really having 10 solid performers in the top 10. The Melinda's of the world go home early in favor of what could easily have been more likable dancers that didn't make this show at all.

Thoughts?
    Some mistakes were made early on with the format. Christina being one of them. She was able to adapt to different styles easily and was on her way of being a tough contender yet they eliminated her in place of Melinda. Tappers are nice but if they can't do other styles well. what good are they? They are like B-boys. if you can't adapt, you should be sent home. that's fair. this is a show that reflects the well-rounded dancer that is brilliant in their performance if not the actual technique. Unfortunetly, Jose never should have made it to the top 11. Compared to Dominic, the all-star, Jose pales in comparison. He's neither as fast, agile, or strong. Grinning is not dancing. I'm sick and tired of that stupid grin. Only Mia sees a dancer there with Jose-colored glasses. only recently have they discussed the lack of training and lack of technique. Who are they to let him b-boy his way to the top without doing any other styles? Send Jose and Billy packing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast