+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6/23 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/23 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

This season, I'm now just enjoying watching dancing. It was good to read all of the show comments, and I look forward to watching the show over the weekend. But, see if I compared my involvement to past seasons, I wouldn't have missed a live show for anything. I also would have been more engaged to make sure and vote for my favs. There's something missing this season, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

It's great to have fabulous dancing on the TV two nights a week, so hurrah for that!

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3948800;
    The judges are just strange. Nigel gets on my nerves. He just thinks way too highly of himself. I do think he is point-on in his comments at times, but often he is so busy trying to sway the public that he contradicts himself. Mia is just a waste....really, this woman needs to learn how to verbalize what she is trying to say so that it is intelligible. Making growling noises and clutching your chest is not an effective tool for communicating what one means! Adam has no choice but to step up and make sense of what the other two are trying to communicate and give some constructive, usable criticism. Mary's screaming got on my last nerve, but at least she used words.....the same words over and over again shouted in that shrill voice, but words.
    Agree with this completely. I just do not like Nigel.

Also agree with everyone about Mark. I've always liked him, but with his shirt open, wow

I loved that Bollywood routine! May not have been technically right, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought Billy did pretty well considering. It wasn't a total trainwreck or anything. There have definitely been worse krump and hip hop attempts.

Lauren completely stole the show in that broadway routine from Alex. She was great.

Cristina...meh, I gave in and was just looking at Pasha

Ashley deserved more credit I thought. She did really well.

Kent- still adorable. Robert- still weird.

FORT Fogey

For those unfamiliar with choreographer Bob Fosse's style (which Tyce used as inspiration for he number with Alex and Lauren) you can get a sample below.

Although his dance numbers ran the gamut from tap to classical to vaudeville, the best way to see the essence of the style is to watch the man himself. Although Bob started as a performer in MGM musicals and nightclubs, once he started choreographing (in the late '50's) he stopped performing. A rare exception is the 1974 movie The Little Prince - a fantasy musical directed by Stanley Donen (Singing in the Rain). Donen convinced Fosse to come in and play the cameo role of the Snake. Bob choreographed (and directed) his one number in the movie, A Snake in the Grass. This is the clip that Nigel suggested that Alex go back and study.

For more Fosse, go to YouTube and look up the BestArtsFosse channel. Or go rent the DVD of the Broadway show Fosse.

sssssSnake in the Grasssss

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;3948316;
    Melinda...mmmehhh...she should go, Jose did better than I expected. That being said, I still prefer Legacy to Jose; I was turned off Jose when he rudely announced he was better than Legacy (thought that took Ba**s) I for one don't think he is better than Legacy, I found Legacy's personality and desire to learn MUCH MUCH more profound and honest. (okay off soap box)..
    Coming in waaay late here, and sorry if someone already commented on this (I haven't read all the way through all the pages of responses yet)...

I felt exactly the same way. But did you notice that Legacy was sitting next to the choreographer of that routine, and appeared to be nodding as if to say he thought Jose was doing a good job?

That's how it looked to me. And that surprised me. I was impressed with and loved Legacy last season, but this shows a pretty good sense of good sportsmanship if my interpretation of his body language is correct.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3951980;
    But did you notice that Legacy was sitting next to the choreographer of that routine, and appeared to be nodding as if to say he thought Jose was doing a good job?

That's how it looked to me. And that surprised me. I was impressed with and loved Legacy last season, but this shows a pretty good sense of good sportsmanship if my interpretation of his body language is correct.
    Noticed that too, good on him.

I loved the Jose/Katherine Bollywood! Again, Ashley completely impressed me, Billy did his thing with the Krump, and I think the judges are too hard on Adechicke.

And that's showbiz...kid skedaddle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3951192;
    WOW. What I'm seeing from that clip is where Michael Jackson got a TON of his dancing inspiration! That has his gloved fingerprints all over it.

I'm not really feeling this season, but as always, I'll keep watching.

I don't know if I feel like these contestants are as engaging this season as past ones were. Well, there's Kent, but he annoys me to no end. I feel like his personality is put-on, but that's just me. Also, I've only liked a couple of routines so far, and most of the time, they weren't routines that the judges weren't all that crazy about. And at the same time, I haven't been crazy about the routines that they fawned over. So it's a little perplexing.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

What I'm missing is the interaction and growth of both partners...yes, having an all-star means that a contestant is not "brought down" by a dud, but there is not the visible improvement over the weeks either because our top favs aren't seen and compared with their peers, but with those who have been dancing professionally. I love seeing our all-stars again, but it should have been an all-star season with the same format rather than 1/2 and 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3954893;
    What I'm missing is the interaction and growth of both partners...yes, having an all-star means that a contestant is not "brought down" by a dud, but there is not the visible improvement over the weeks either because our top favs aren't seen and compared with their peers, but with those who have been dancing professionally. I love seeing our all-stars again, but it should have been an all-star season with the same format rather than 1/2 and 1/2.
    I see your point. And it was magical when a couple just "clicked" (Katee and Joshua come to mind). This season, it doesn't really seem as if the newbies are clicking with the all stars in the same manner. I think they might be a tad intimidated by them and that is holding them back a little.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3955478;
    I see your point. And it was magical when a couple just "clicked" (Katee and Joshua come to mind). This season, it doesn't really seem as if the newbies are clicking with the all stars in the same manner. I think they might be a tad intimidated by them and that is holding them back a little.
    I think that some are clicking. But the problem is as soon as they do, and you really start liking a couple together, they switch!
    Like Dom and Lauren, I thought they were pretty adorable together. And I think they have the potential to be pretty hilarious together as well. But there's a good chance that even if she makes it to the end, they won't be paired together again.

Also, I was disappointed to learn that the all-stars aren't living in the apartments with the contestants. And that the contestants really only see the all-stars during rehearsals and taping. I think that's something they definitely need to fix next season, if they keep this format. And make it so they have to live with the contestants or at the very least have to spend more time with them. Because you're right, for a lot of the partnerships there does seem to be a gap there. And I think that's because they just don't know each other. So hopefully that'll improve as the season goes along.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast