+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6/23 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

To the Point

Re: 6/23 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Glad to see I wasn't alone in thinking that Melinda was just NOT good! I think she should have gone last week. I am not impressed. I wish I could like her as she does represent something beside contemporary.

Jose, while fun to watch, just couldn't rid himself of the b-boy/hip hop vibe. It was still fun to watch because he has a great spirit about him. He seems to be finding so much joy in the process.

Billy, bless his heart, is so not "street" enough for krumping! Not even close. I'm not a huge fan anyway, but tonight, while his dancing didn't win me over, his reaction did! He so knew that he just couldn't nail the attitude it takes. He wasn't awful, he just needed to hit things harder and have the attitude.

Alex is really taking every moment of this seriously! I am sure that others "study" style, but he really seems to be looking at this as an educational experience in everyway! Good to see that he is human and has areas in which he will have to work! His technique is sooo amazing, now he needs to tap into the total performance thing. He is a joy to watch. He makes everything look so stinking easy.

Kent did well. Krom, I didn't get the same thing you did from his reaction to having his hands all over a girl. I just think it's that small town thing/more conservative upbringing and that somehow there are just areas of a female body that he shouldn't just randomly have his hands all over (and in public, no less). He is, according to his bio, the dancer with the least experience. I would think that in his dance studio they might have been a bit more circumspect about running hands all over each others bodies! He does crack me up! I just love the fact that this guy has sooo much personality, talent and drive. I get the feeling that he is an incredibly hard worker.

Ashley came in handicapped! We really didn't know much about her. She has talent but so far I haven't seen a huge amount of star power.

Lauren, is my favorite female. She has incredible technique and there is a power to her dance. I was impressed tonight.

Robert, I feel has huge talent and I enjoy watching him dance, but then I tend to forget him. He still has time to totally wow me though.

Ade, is someone I really want to remember. I think that says enough.

Cristina, I find underwhelming so far. I think she is sweet but I want to be wowed with dance.

The judges are just strange. Nigel gets on my nerves. He just thinks way too highly of himself. I do think he is point-on in his comments at times, but often he is so busy trying to sway the public that he contradicts himself. Mia is just a waste....really, this woman needs to learn how to verbalize what she is trying to say so that it is intelligible. Making growling noises and clutching your chest is not an effective tool for communicating what one means! Adam has no choice but to step up and make sense of what the other two are trying to communicate and give some constructive, usable criticism. Mary's screaming got on my last nerve, but at least she used words.....the same words over and over again shouted in that shrill voice, but words.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3948656;
    Did anyone notice Travis grumbling something after Nigel praised Tyce for making his number a jazz routine? Earlier, Nigel gently criticized Travis for making the routine he choreographed for Ashley and Mark more contemporary than jazz, when they were supposed to be dancing a jazz routine. After Nigel praised Tyce (Kent & Courtney's routine), the camera panned to Tyce, and Travis was sitting beside him, not looking very happy and saying or mouthing something.
    I did notice that...Travis looked pissed as I would be too...although Nigel was right...it didn't seem like a Jazz routine to me wither.

Soooooo...I guess I'll be the one to bring it up...WHAT WAS UP WITH CAT'S COMMENT TO DOMINIC??? WOOOOWZAAA!!!!! Maybe she didn't quite realize what she was saying to him???? My hubby's eyes nearly popped out when she said that!

Quote Originally Posted by superfly;3948658;
    The 2 Laurens were the best tonight. This was probably the best I've ever seen from Gottlieb, on her season or this season. She was veeeeery sexy, maybe it was just the outfit.
    ITA! My hubby and I could not take our eyes off of her. I have NO idea how Alex danced in that routine....I kept trying to watch him, but my eyes kept going back to her! For that reason, I do not like the all stars concept, however it is nice seeing them out there and working.

FORT Fogey

I am so glad that at least the new format doesn't force a guy and a girl to go each week...but still wish we had a top 20, with the all-stars doing a group number on performance night and samples of the next week style dances in pairs on results night - no more musical or other guests (besides the young up and coming dancers). This is all about the dancing, not about singing...

FORT Fogey

I thought Melinda should have gone last week...though I could forgive them keeping her over another contemporary girl to have some variety. BUT, if she doesn't go home this week...then it is truly tragic. I don't really care for christina or Adech... but they are better than melinda and might come through with drive and passion with theirs and other styles (or at least have more potential for improvement)

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;3948316;
    I was turned off Jose when he rudely announced he was better than Legacy (thought that took Ba**s) I for one don't think he is better than Legacy, I found Legacy's personality and desire to learn MUCH MUCH more profound and honest. (okay off soap box)..
    That's just part of the b-boy attitude; regardless of whether you're actually better or not, until you're battle somebody and you've lost, you claim to be better than them, because that's part of the culture. Even if you've lost, if there's been some time between when you last battled and lost and the current moment, you can still get away with claiming to be better, since your game should have elevated.

That said, he's not very good as b-boy anyways.
    Revenge is ice cream.

FORT Newbie

[QUOTE=Annika;3948590;]Melinda was terrible! She danced second-rate contemporary at best. There is just something "ugly" about how she holds the core of her body and it shows up in her torso and back... so that her extended arms and legs are not extending from a beautiful core but sort of just popped onto a lump of a middle. Like a mannequin. I thought at first maybe her back had no spring and no ability to arch, but that isn't quite it. I think Mia M. was trying to put a finger on the problem in the first show when she said (I'm paraphrasing here) that Melinda had ugly legs. I think the problem comes from the lack of core and the legs are ugly by extension (no pun intended!). Her torso dances like an 8 year old with no training or understanding of suspension. Makes for UGLY dancing always and everywhere.

I agree. I am no expert on dance technique but her dancing looks clumsy and heavy to me. And her personality just leave me cold.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Mine may be a minority opinion, but I like the "all-star" format. There's less likelihood of a good amateur being brought down by a poor amateur partner. It seems to me that all of the contestants are being challenged and helped to do better by having more experienced partners, and it makes it easier for me to see whether an amateur is doing well or poorly (Melinda).

I agree with whoever said that the applause after her dance seemed perfunctory and obligatory.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;3949021;
    Mine may be a minority opinion, but I like the "all-star" format. There's less likelihood of a good amateur being brought down by a poor amateur partner. It seems to me that all of the contestants are being challenged and helped to do better by having more experienced partners, and it makes it easier for me to see whether an amateur is doing well or poorly (Melinda).

I agree with whoever said that the applause after her dance seemed perfunctory and obligatory.

I too like this format, I like that they have to work with someone different each week and agree that it SHOULD help them with their performances. It is easier to "see" the dancers for what each brings to the stage.

FORT Regular

Melinda WAS terrible..I think the judges are trying to qualify why they kept her in the Final 11..I don't think she taps that well, either..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast