+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 6/16 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/16 Performance Show discussion *Spoilers*

Thanks, FoRTers for your comments and insights this evenings--such fun "watching" the show with all of you.

Ashley did well. I was able to focus on her and ignore Neil. That says a lot.

Didn't really care for Sonya's first routine, and I usually love her. Cristina did well, but it just didn't seem like she had been given much to do.

Adechike...agree with the judges. He did not seem as into it as he should have.

I thought Melinda did well considering it was Jive. Hope it's not the kiss of death for her, I'd like to see more.

Alex danced well, but I didn't think that was the OMG best dance ever! on SYTYCD. It was good, but not that good.

Alexie was boring, even with Twitch. If it's not Melinda, it might be her. The shot of Adam on Star Search was priceless.

Kent is the most adorable thing on the planet.

Robert seems...weird.

Everyone else I thought did well, not anyone in particular I want to go home. I think it's going to be a really good season

FORT Fogey

I'm underwhelmed.
    I thought Billy blew it. He's not the star of the show anymore. He would have been last season. He really did not perform as his character! I did not enjoy it even though he danced well.
    Cristina is still my favorite girl. She did great considering this isn't her style. It was still only "good" when you don't take her style into account. It was tough dancing Sonya's choreography with Mark!
    Jose was competent. I guess this isn't his style but most people will say that this is his style. I thought Comfort did a great job. Lots of people don't like her. I thought she was pretty great tonight.
    Adechike's performance was so boring. I find it hard to blame him. I thought Kathryn was just not sexy. She was smiling the whole time. I thought that made it very difficult for them to establish the right connection. And I didn't think Travis' choreography was exciting either.
    Melinda was really cheesy. I didn't notice her legs so much because she was making all of those faces. I did notice her stiff shoulders and hands. I didn't think it was as bad as Nigel said but I was too distracted by her face to look at anything else.
    Alex performed better than I expected. Honestly, I didn't understand why this was such a big deal. He was kind of just shivering the whole time. I didn't feel the love ... but it was better than I thought Alex could do.
    Poor Alexie. This routine was terrible. Twitch was great though. The choreography was lame and the music was not suitable for hip hop. Alexie had a lot going against her. I wish someone would call out Nappy Tabs for sucking! It was not good. It was unfair to Alexie.
    Lauren didn't take advantage of this situation. She is the generic girl next door this season. Those types usually do well. She had no sex appeal and just seemed like an amateur. I think she may have been trying to perform it like Ade but she was instructed to be sexy. Fail.
    Kent was adorable. I thought he did a great job. I thought he did better than the other guys could hope to do. Those faces he made and they way he was too excited made it clear that he was an amateur. He was good but I wouldn't pay to see that!
    Ashley didn't do well considering this was her style. It wasn't horrible. I loved seeing Nigel speechless after assuming she had never been in love. I think Ashley was hurt more by the fact that we'd already seen a few slow emotional routines.
    Robert was overpraised. I love African dance. It is usually performed with arms flying all over and it is so energetic. This routine was lacking that. I'm not sure who is to blame but that left me feeling disappointed.

FORT Fogey

I really liked Ashley and Neil tonight, they complimented each other beautifully. Surprisingly, Jose & Comfort did a great job! Adechike was a victim of the choreography, Katherine was supposed to shine...and she did. I think he did very well with what he was given. The judges were a bit harsh with him, I thought. Twitch is even better than before! What can I say, Alex and Allison? Poetry in motion, wow.

Alex was, BY FAR, the best tonight. He's been my favorite since the auditions. Maybe it's because I trained in ballet, but I LOVE watching dancers who have great technique and Alex's technique is exquisite. I not only got goosebumps, I teared up a bit and it's because he's just so beautiful and his movement is so pure. I'll be interested to see how he handles other styles.

I wasn't so sure about the whole all-star thing, but I agree with the judges - it was a good idea. Last season, when Mollie finally got to dance with Jakob, her dancing got so much better. Dancing with better dancers will make all of the contestants better.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Quemoni;3937295;
    Did I say "Pros"? I meant Allstars
    The show is called "So You Think You Can Be Dancing with the Allstars" now.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3937559;
    Alex was, BY FAR, the best tonight. He's been my favorite since the auditions. Maybe it's because I trained in ballet, but I LOVE watching dancers who have great technique and Alex's technique is exquisite. I not only got goosebumps, I teared up a bit and it's because he's just so beautiful and his movement is so pure. I'll be interested to see how he handles other styles.

I wasn't so sure about the whole all-star thing, but I agree with the judges - it was a good idea. Last season, when Mollie finally got to dance with Jakob, her dancing got so much better. Dancing with better dancers will make all of the contestants better.
    Agree with everything you just said. And I teared up and got goosebumps too. I did ballet for only 5 years but I appreciate watching someone whose movements are so clean and flowing...Just think how it would've been to see Melinda from the past with Alex...now that would be a pas de deux!!

-Billy was only just ok and unfortunately for some of us we've just seen a routine with Footloose (DWTS). He did not fill up the stage.
    -Cristina was good considering this routine was a rehash of the "Garden" routine Sonya did with Mark and Courtney. music was similar, beat was similar, movement was... well you get the idea! Love, love seeing Mark again!
    -Jose was average. I'm going to reserve any judgement until I see something really outside his comfort zone. I didn't think either of NappyTabs routines were all that special- just generic stuff.
    -Adechike was in a bad situation - crappy partner (I'm not a Kathryn fan at all) and bad choreo (what happened Travis?) He didn't rise above it.
    -Melinda should be going home IMHO. To be that disconnected from PASHA?? She was very, very aware of the cameras (of course she was, she's an actress!), and couldn't stop mugging for the camera. ugh...go home. I couldn't believe she even made the show.
    -Alex was very, very surprising and good. And LOVED seeing Allison on stage again. Was it the best ever? no, of course not, but it was thoroughly enjoyable and one of the best of the night.
    -Alexie is adorable and this should save her. To me she is much more memorable than Melinda or Ashley. But she needs to dig down and bring it. Again, choreo from NappyTabs was lame, boring and the music was odd.
    -Lauren is the other one I feel is in real danger. That routine was a hot mess. And everyone was to blame. Stupid song, too much use of the couch and Lauren obviously has a hard time doing "sexy". Mandy Moore's choreo is hit or miss and this was a huge miss.
    -Kent was a hoot! Yeah it wasn't perfect but boy he tried and for the most part he succeeded. And enjoyed himself. Loved it and loved seeing Anya let loose!
    -Ashley - meh. nothing special. she just doesn't stand out for me in any way. I watched Neil the whole time.
    -Robert WAS overpraised. Mia all but gave him a tongue bath The dance was good, energy was there, but seemed a bit too flowy.

Overall I liked most of the routines and loved 2 (Alex and Kent). I'm hoping the girls step up their game because none of them impressed me that much tonight.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I sort-of thought Nigel's comment to Sonya was a little rude, although I don't think he meant it that way. He said something to the effect that choreographers usually make dancers better with their choreography, but in the case of Alex and Allison it was the dancers who made the choreographer better. Ouch.

By the way...where is everyone? This forum is usually packed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast