+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alex Wong - Season 7

FORT Fan

Re: Alex Wong - Season 7

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3971787;
    I'm disappointed he had to leave too. I'm wondering how important this show is to him. Will he put everything else on hold so he'll be available next year? Will huge opportunities come his way in the meantime?
    You make a great point to ponder and observe -- Alex's return (or lack of it) will speak volumes as to the true quality of the show!

Alex did come back for this season, so I think he thinks enough of the true quality of this show to come back. However, because of what he has learned this year doors may open up for him and he won't need to come back.....definitely our loss.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

FORT Fogey

I am sorry it was the injury that took him out of it but he shouldn't be able to return next season. They haven't allowed injured contestants to return in the past and this would be his third time being selected for the live show. As much as I admire Alex's technical abilities, it should be over for him! Remember that guy Anthony? Was that his name? He was a fan favorite during the auditions and Vegas. He hurt his leg in Vegas. I am pretty sure he was not cast this season because the producers needed to include both Billy and Alex in this cast. I wouldn't like another outstanding dancers to be denied a spot so Alex could have a third chance at winning.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3973429;
    ...I wouldn't like another outstanding dancers to be denied a spot so Alex could have a third chance at winning.
    I am assuming that when Nigel invited Alex back, he was inviting him back to Vegas, just like Billy was. Because, as you say, they have to cast the show based on who shows up.

And I said this in the show thread, but I'll repeat it here - Alex has already garnered the national exposure this show gives. In addition, the publicity of being the "fallen front-runner" may be just as beneficial as winning. His reputation will certainly hang over the eventual winner. There would be a lot of time and work spent returning to the show next year, for not all that much additional reward. Dancers do not have long careers, so I would not be surprised if he was ready to go on to the next challenge and accept another offer. Although, like everyone else, I selfishly want him to come back because I love to see him dance.

If Alex is getting the chance to come back to Vegas, what about the other injured dancers in the past? Jessi (S3) was eliminated in Week 3 after she couldn't dance. Jessica (S4) was let go with a rib injury after 5 weeks of competing. They weren't given the chance to come back! Meawhile, it seems Alex is getting the chance to come back to Vegas after last until Week 4. That's a bit unfair.

Other injured dancers were Noelle and Ashleigh (S6), who were given the chance to be voted upon by the voters (a chance that Jessi didn't get). I don't remember Nigel giving them the chance to come back if things didn't go their way. Granted, things did go their way, so he probably didn't need to bring it up. And Ashleigh made it far enough that it would be really unfair to bring her back if she had been injured for a long period of time.

As for Billy, he didn't make it to the performance shows, so I saw no problem with him being invited back to Vegas. He had some fans after being featured during the auditions, but his fanbase back then does not amount to the fanbase that Alex has now.

I know that the Simon-Mia comparison was brought up as a double standard, but I see this as more of a double standard.

I say, bring Alex back as an All-Star. Don't bring him back as a competing contestant.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3973474;
    Alex has already garnered the national exposure this show gives. In addition, the publicity of being the "fallen front-runner" may be just as beneficial as winning. His reputation will certainly hang over the eventual winner. There would be a lot of time and work spent returning to the show next year, for not all that much additional reward. Dancers do not have long careers, so I would not be surprised if he was ready to go on to the next challenge and accept another offer. Although, like everyone else, I selfishly want him to come back because I love to see him dance.
    Well put! I would say that the return of Alex would only serve to dissuade potential contestants from even entering next season, knowing the results would likely be pre-determined. What would the point be? And it certainly would not be fair!
    Ted: Dougal, you can't sit around here watching television all day - chewing gum for the eyes!
    Dougal: Oh no thanks Ted, I've got these crisps, here.

According to my Saturday newspaper, Alex is back home in Van(couver) and surgery is scheduled for next week. He is looking at a three month lay-up.
    "Wong is a life-long dance devotee, starting his training in JAZZ and TAP at the age of 7, and winning two WORLD junior titles, in TAP and SHOW-DANCE, in 2000." Who knew?! I would love to see video of him at that age!
    Ted: Dougal, you can't sit around here watching television all day - chewing gum for the eyes!
    Dougal: Oh no thanks Ted, I've got these crisps, here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGuyWing;3974656;
    "Wong is a life-long dance devotee, starting his training in JAZZ and TAP at the age of 7, and winning two WORLD junior titles, in TAP and SHOW-DANCE, in 2000." Who knew?! I would love to see video of him at that age!
    I did. I've posted that somewhere around here when he first appeared on the show and how young he is for the position he held at the Miami City Ballet. That was a huge deal as well.

As much as I adore this kid, he should not be allowed to come back next year as a contestant. At some point it becomes an unfair advantage over that seasons contestants, I feel sorry for him but I think he's gotten enough exposure out of this to be able to go in any career direction he wants now.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fan

Alex tap dancing at age 9

YouTube - Alex Wong 9 Years Old Tap Solo

Nancy

As much as I like Alex, I do agree with people here in saying he shouldn't come back to win. While it's likely he could win it all if he did, there's a chance he could fall the fate of Billy this season - a dancer who is a bit despised for his dancing and more so his attitude. I Don't think Alex has the similar stink-face attitude Billy has, but I don't want him to fall victim to it.

That said, I do think the producers would be ill-advised to not cast him as an all-star dancer, even if he was there for three weeks (dancing, four including the injury). He has the skills and talent needed to help with the show, and he could also show some of his other styles when they do the all-star feature. If he has enough time to learn other dances, he could also help in more than one specialty with the show, making him versatile and - more importantly - cost effective to hire.

I hope Alex has a successful surgery and recovery - he has a gift, and I'd like to see him be able to show it for a long time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast