+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alex Wong - Season 7

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: Alex Wong - Season 7

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3937622;
    I think he is the best dancer, hands down, and he has personality to spare (could give some of it to Lauren F and Billy B) and just has to bring it to the stage and get the judges to understand that a dancer doesn't need to be GOLLY GEE HUGE SMILE LOOK AT ME! all the time to be a performer.

Every season the judges harp on and on about pointing the toes and feet and I never fully understood what they meant till I saw Alex in action. He leaps and he points his feet and it makes a huge difference in the way the leap looks, he's just amazing. His leaps look like he is soaring through the air. I've seen clips of him doing ballroom, hiphop, and contemporary as long as he doesn't get a crappy choreographer or the judges don't damn him with over praise then I think he will go all the way.

Some have wondered why a dancer who has reached the success level that so many others can only dream about would do this show? I think I understand after watching him dance, a dancers life is very limited and by doing this show it opens him up to so many other opportunities and good on him for thinking ahead and forging a career for himself once his use at the ballet company has expired.

Also, an artist is only truly alive when they are constantly challenging themselves and growing which is what he is doing now by trying out other genres.
    He's getting a lot more exposure than he'd get if he didn't do this show. I would never have had a clue he even existed if he didn't participate in this. I'm glad to be able to enjoy watching him.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3937622;
    Also, an artist is only truly alive when they are constantly challenging themselves and growing which is what he is doing now by trying out other genres.
    I think this is much more important than exposure to someone like Alex. This show guarantees the chance to work with top notch choreographers from many genres, which he would not get if he ever left the ballet company and went out looking for work. Even if he were to get a spot in a dance company, he would still be restricted to one style, and that's IF he could get a foot in the door when the producer saw his "ballet only" background on the resume. True, he won't get a huge amount of training in any style, but he can use what he does get to influence later decisions and performances.
    Last edited by queenb; 06-17-2010 at 11:23 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey

It's only the first episode but I am totally sold on Alex. He is my favorite hands down, no question, absolutely. In other words, stick a fork in me 'cause I'm done. Now I've felt that way before, and Benji won over Travis, but Alex is still my number one choice. (Kent, just because he seems like such a darling kid who also dances beautifully and joyfully, is my second choice. I am happy if either one is the last dancer standing.)

I liken Alex to Travis since, for me who is a non-dancer, they make the music move rather than the music controlling them. It's as if the music and the dancer merge into one entity and they both soar. Alex's lines, height of his leaps, and the absolute precision of his feet and center delight me and I look forward to seeing him in the different styles each week.

Think it's gonna be a good season...

Way overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Doats;3937916;
    I liken Alex to Travis since, for me who is a non-dancer, they make the music move rather than the music controlling them. It's as if the music and the dancer merge into one entity and they both soar. Alex's lines, height of his leaps, and the absolute precision of his feet and center delight me and I look forward to seeing him in the different styles each week.

Think it's gonna be a good season...
    I agree and it's because of him and Kent Boyd and how much joy they bring me just watching them dance.

To me he reminds me of Neil because they both had this ability to make the leaps look gravity defying, they are the only two who have managed to do that in all the seasons. The way they leap through the air as if they think magical hands are going to come up and catch them just leaves me breathless.

Alex has numerous championships and titles under his belt not to mention his position at the ballet company, he's got the goods and it's already been proven.

Will he emerge as America's favorite dancer? More than likely not because I think Kent Boyd has this competition signed, sealed, and delivered. That kid could stand on stage for the next several weeks and do nothing but smile and he will win because there is no overcoming his audition and introduction.

So I will just enjoy Alex while he is on and be happy that he decided to stretch his artistic wings and try on different genres by coming on this show.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Regular

Love Alex Wong. He's an amazing, amazing dancer and I feel happy watching him dance. I just hope he stays on the show long enough for me to enjoy watching him. Overrated? I think not.

Only An Opinion

I don't think Alex is overrated. I think he'll be in the top 4 unless he keeps getting disco and the waltz, then he'll probably leave early.

I assume the judges get to keep eliminating their choice of the bottom three until the top 5 (it was top 10, so halfway, under the old system), so he's safe until then (or whenever it is that they lose their power).

To the Point

This guy is far from overrated! He has plenty of talent and the experience to back it up. Seeing improvement will be more difficult with him, and the viewing public tend to appreciate improvement.

I love to watch him. And Kent.

And word has it that he and Kent are very good friends. I think that's wonderful!
    Team Kent SYTYCD!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast