+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6/10 Show discussion *Re-Posted*

FORT Fogey

6/10 Show discussion *Re-Posted*

It looks like the discussion of the June 10 - Meet the Top 11 and Alumni show went to that great bit-bucket in the sky. Probably due to the server transfer. Bummer!

So let's start again here with any comments on that show and the exhibition dances.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 06-11-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Re: 6/10 Show discussion *Re-Posted*

Drats! And there were so many great comments in here too about Mia and the routines and Tyce and Pasha and...gah lol (over in the help desk area it does say it was because of the server issues. I first thought I'd done something wrong and all my posts were deleted till I stepped back from massive paranoia land and realized that made no sense so I did a little research and came up with server issues).

I'm going to rewatch it now and see what I come up with to help recreate this post.

I do remember commenting on how I didn't like the way some of the routines focused on the all-stars over the contestants and felt that really only Mia's and the hip hop were executed correctly because they high lighted the contestants. The latin ballroom was a complete failure because it didn't, poor Cristina was lost in the shuffle and Pasha was the star of that routine.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

While I didn't really enjoy the hiphop, I do agree that the choreo highlighted the contestant.

I thought it was little insulting to Mary that there was a lot of gushing over Mia's return.
    That might just be because I like Mary and don't really like Mia much.
    Last edited by fluff; 06-12-2010 at 07:39 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Alright, just finished rewatching it and odd how my opinion has changed. This morning I gushed about how amazing the show was and how much I loved it, blah blah. On second watching? Not so much. Now that the excitement of the show being back has died down I see it all differently.

What a bunch of over indulgent drivel!

Seriously. It was more about the dang blasted all-stars than the competitors. This is their time, not the all-stars. The all-stars have had their chance and if I were one of the competitors? I'd be very ticked off that I had to share my time with them.

The only way this whole experiment can work is if...and a huge IF here....the all-stars are used as mentors. The competitors have very little time to learn the routines and aren't given much time with the choreographers. Hopefully being with somebody who is a dancer in that technique will mean that they will be able to use the practice time to help them fine tune the routine (unless they pull Comfort who probably will make them look worse).

And I stand by original thought that hip hop dancers and street dancers have no business being on this show, there are other shows for them. Not just because I don't like that style of dance but also because it's not fair to them. How on earth are they to compete with kids who have spent a lifetime (short as it is lol) training? They will always be found lacking or be treated in a condescending manner.

Also, I had posted that Mia frustrates and annoys me. When she is on, she gives us some of the best routines ever seen on this show. When she is off, they are the worst. Last night was for me one of her better routines, knowing what I know about her recent loss made it even more poignant but even without that knowledge the routine did exactly what it was supposed to do. It played to the strengths of the competitors while keeping the all-star in the background where he belonged and because of that? For me, this was the routine of the night (and you guys know how hard it is for me to give Mia credit but she deserves it this time).

Travis....I don't get the love. I don't understand it. He's not that good. Really. He's like a Wade Light, a poor man's version. He cribs movements from other routines and throws them into his own, it's like he took everything that was quirky from Wade and combined it with everything "moving" from Mia and made up this routine. Where is the originality? Where is HE? I didn't see anything in that routine that made me think Travis. Wade does a routine? You know it's him, he's got a signature. Same with Mia. Travis....he's still growing...and if this show doesn't get off the inappropriate and undeserved tongue bath they give him? He will never reach his potential, they are stunting his growth by giving praise where it's not due.

And I'm done with that but it was annoying seeing it.

Allison....this is the same girl that danced with Ivan? Really? I didn't recognize her! I still don't. The overly frosted hair, the extra weight, the over plucked eyebrows. What has happened to her? She went Hollywood in a bad way, I'd like the old Allison back. Thanks.

Pasha....Anya...are not the best ballroom dancers in the world. Not even close. Does Nigel even watch ballroom competitions? They'd wipe the floor with those kids. Their routine annoyed me because it was all about them, dang blasted spotlight hogs. And people are saying that about Dom. Pasha/Anya were no better.

Again, on second viewing this show wasn't as good as I remembered. This morning I thought there were more hits than misses, now I think it's the other way around. Too much emphasis on the all-stars, not enough on the competitors.

However, I will give them a chance to show me that they can do something with this and make it work. The concept is good, now let's see how they execute it.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3930229;
    Allison....this is the same girl that danced with Ivan? Really? I didn't recognize her! I still don't. The overly frosted hair, the extra weight, the over plucked eyebrows. What has happened to her? She went Hollywood in a bad way, I'd like the old Allison back. Thanks.
    She's aged 4 years since then and has a two year old little girl. She's no longer that 18 year old young lady we remember.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Ah well, so much for what was of course my wittiest and most insightful post ever... Seriously though, the one part of my lost post I'd like to repeat is this: I know when Mia was off the show last year there was some speculation here as to whether or not she might be sick. I'm curious what with her routine and the discussion about how short life is, as to what really is going on. I'm sorry if this has been addressed here and I missed it, but was she actually ill? Or did someone close to her pass and that's why she took her break last year? If any of you know, I'd sure appreciate an update. Thanks!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;3930290;
    Ah well, so much for what was of course my wittiest and most insightful post ever... Seriously though, the one part of my lost post I'd like to repeat is this: I know when Mia was off the show last year there was some speculation here as to whether or not she might be sick. I'm curious what with her routine and the discussion about how short life is, as to what really is going on. I'm sorry if this has been addressed here and I missed it, but was she actually ill? Or did someone close to her pass and that's why she took her break last year? If any of you know, I'd sure appreciate an update. Thanks!
    I responded to that: we saw her say during her visit to a top 10 (Adechicke I think) that she had lost her mother a couple of months ago. If there were personal reasons involved in her leaving the show, it is entirely possible that her mother's health could have been what people heard about.

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;3930290;
    I'm sorry if this has been addressed here and I missed it, but was she actually ill? Or did someone close to her pass and that's why she took her break last year? If any of you know, I'd sure appreciate an update. Thanks!
    She mentioned during the show that she just lost her mom.

If I remember correctly from last night's thread, no one here really liked the ballroom routine, right? Maybe it's because I'd never seen Pasha and Anya before tonight (I've only been watching for the last 2 seasons), but I thought that routine was smokin' hot! Yowza! And Cristina, while clearly not as accomplished a dancer, held her own. The routine did favor P & A more heavily, I agree. But given that they have danced a long time together and could do all those flips and tricks, I'm sure the choreographer could not resist highlighting their skills.

I'm not sure how I feel about the changes, but I think it will make more sense once the competition starts. I believe the role of the all-star is supposed to be more of a mentor, as someone suggested. Plus, there will only be two people on stage, so hopefully the contestant will have an opportunity to shine without being held back by a weak partner.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3930229;
    Alright, just finished rewatching it and odd how my opinion has changed. This morning I gushed about how amazing the show was and how much I loved it, blah blah. On second watching? Not so much. Now that the excitement of the show being back has died down I see it all differently....

And I stand by original thought that hip hop dancers and street dancers have no business being on this show, there are other shows for them. Not just because I don't like that style of dance but also because it's not fair to them. How on earth are they to compete with kids who have spent a lifetime (short as it is lol) training? They will always be found lacking or be treated in a condescending manner...
    Yes, it's interesting how the show changes with another viewing. I find that the good tends to get better and the not-so-good becomes really irritating.

Re: Hip-Hop dancers - You're right that they are at a disadvantage. But how does the fact that the show has produced two hip-hop winners (Joshua and Russell) figure in to this?

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv;3930330;
    I responded to that: we saw her say during her visit to a top 10 (Adechicke I think) that she had lost her mother a couple of months ago. If there were personal reasons involved in her leaving the show, it is entirely possible that her mother's health could have been what people heard about.
    Thank you so much jsciv! I was sporadically watching that episode and I must have missed that part. That would make sense then. I'm sorry to hear about her mother, but glad she's OK. I definitely fall into the love Mia category. As had been said often before, she doesn't always hit the mark, but when she does she's genius.

ETA: Oops...thanks everyone
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast