+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6/10 Show discussion *Re-Posted*

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/10 Show discussion *Re-Posted*

Contestant and Alumni threads are up. Have fun!

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27;3930902;
    This new format will keep couple juggernauts from forming, and not hold others dancers back. I loved seeing the incredible celebration of dance during the show. Early faves are Ashley, Alexie, Alex, Adechike. Forgot how much I like seeing Allison dance, she is just wonderful. I know I'm late to the party, but I really enjoyed Mark tonight! Ade as always is a treat to watch
    Looks like you really like names with the letter A!!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3930442;
    Well the jist of my post was.....why in the world do we have the allstars there? While I love the allstars and really enjoy seeing them its really distracting and I'm not able to focus on the newbies. I just don't get the reasoning behind it. It wasn't broken SYTYCD! Don't "fix" it!
    I'm watching my dvr recording today and couldn't agree more. What's the point of the all stars, besides making it more difficult to watch the contestants? I thought they were going to partner with the all stars so that they wouldn't be brought down by having a bad partner, but this I just don't understand what's going on. I wish they would at least explain stuff to us.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3930545;
    Joshua was amazing. He did well with every dance they threw at him. And he wasn't cocky...he was very sweet. He's one of my all time favorite contestants and if he hadn't competed that year, we would have missed out on a wonderful talent.
    I liked Joshua a lot, but he wasn't really a hip hop dancer. He was a well trained contemporary dancer in reality, but they wanted to have a "hip hop" dancer win so they didn't really tell us that. I don't know the backgrounds of the contestants this year, but they seem to be a lot of professional dancers so I'm not sure what the all stars are needed for.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 06-12-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;3931156;
    I'm watching my dvr recording today and couldn't agree more. What's the point of the all stars, besides making it more difficult to watch the contestants? I thought they were going to partner with the all stars so that they wouldn't be brought down by having a bad partner, but this I just don't understand what's going on. I wish they would at least explain stuff to us.
    I think that starting next week the newbies will be dancing with just one all-star. But I still don't like that. I always enjoyed watching the contestants grow & learn together and really bond (or not so much) in that. This just doesn't seem right. *Siiiigh*
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3931167;
    I think that starting next week the newbies will be dancing with just one all-star. But I still don't like that. I always enjoyed watching the contestants grow & learn together and really bond (or not so much) in that. This just doesn't seem right. *Siiiigh*
    I think you're right. They explained that this wasn't a "regular" show later in the show. It would have helped if they'd told us what was going on in the beginning so we wouldn't all be confused

I agree that I'd rather see just the newbies, with maybe an alumni performance at the end of the show or on the results show.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;3931956;
    I think you're right. They explained that this wasn't a "regular" show later in the show. It would have helped if they'd told us what was going on in the beginning so we wouldn't all be confused

I agree that I'd rather see just the newbies, with maybe an alumni performance at the end of the show or on the results show.
    They did the same thing last season. Had a sort of "pre" show to showcase the dancers in their style and to learn a bit more about them before we start voting. Billy Bell got to dance that night if memory serves me correctly but before the first 'voting' show was replaced because he fell ill.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3930571;
    When the dancer is trained they do very well, when they aren't.....they get crushed by the other dancers, the judges, the voters, and the choreographers.

Which is why I said it's not fair to them because I hate seeing their spirits crushed. The hip-hop and street dancers have some of the purest and best spirits we see on this show and some of them, you can see the light go out of them, by how cruel this process can be.

I don't like seeing that and I would rather the show stuck to those who are well trained so we don't have to watch that. But that's just my preference because I'm a big softie at heart lol.
    I couldn't disagree more.

Legacy is a perfect example. Untrained and inexpert except for B-Boy/Hip Hop - until he got on the show.

A lot of people were down on him for his emotional response to the dances he did, especially the contemporary numbers. But I thought his journey was just amazing, and incredibly inspirational.

I have more often seen hip hop dancers come on the show, be presented with major challenges to stretch and grow - and do just that - than be "crushed."

I'm still on the fence over the change in format this season. While I actually do like the idea of being able to focus on a single contestant by pairing them up with an alumni instead of ANOTHER contestant, paring it down to 10 contestants eliminated the chance for more untrained, inexpert dancers OUTSIDE of contemporary.

I like the "underdog" stories of hip-hop dancers, and even ballroom dancers, who IMHO actually seem more crippled by a speciality than the hip-hop dancers. When they're good - they're GOOOOOOOOOOD - Pasha, Jeanette, Anya are good examples. When they're bad, they'e BAAAAAAAD and kinda pathetic - Faina is a sad example there.

I've seen more sad & crushed ballroom dancers than hip hop dancers. It's like they're trained and trained and trained in very intricate, very JUDGED moves for years and years, so it's almost like ANY dance should be easy to pick up with that kind of history and dedication to work. But when they fall short trying to translate training to "feel" for contemporary, lyrical and hip-hop, THEN they seem almost baffled and to be thinking, "this should have been so easy compared to the rigid structure and rules of what I'm used to in the ballroom, why didn't I 'get' it?"

Nope. I say "bring on the hip hop!"

Just one last observation - if a choreographer isn't crafting a dance based on their emotions & feelings on life, then they're probably not crafting very good dances.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123