+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6/10 Show discussion *Re-Posted*

Re: 6/10 Show discussion *Re-Posted*

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3930348;
    Re: Hip-Hop dancers - You're right that they are at a disadvantage. But how does the fact that the show has produced two hip-hop winners (Joshua and Russell) figure in to this?
    In looking at the audience, it's easy to see this show appeals to primarily teenage and late teen young ladies sometimes guys. Hence, the hip-hop..popping...pumping..tweeti ng..twatting..whatever you call it...BUCK! As for me..one of my favorite dancers was last year (I think) and she was a ballerina. Very well trained. Brought the judges to tears with a dance about breast cancer. Also performed a segment of Romeo and Juliet. Wish I could think of her name. I also love the ballroom...and Benji Schwimmer winner of Season 2 whose genre is West Coast Swing...could mop up the floor with everyone.

Maybe its been addressed here..but why the cut back in the number of contestants...ratings? Wouldn't surprise me.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

Well the jist of my post was.....why in the world do we have the allstars there? While I love the allstars and really enjoy seeing them its really distracting and I'm not able to focus on the newbies. I just don't get the reasoning behind it. It wasn't broken SYTYCD! Don't "fix" it!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter;3930437;
    In looking at the audience, it's easy to see this show appeals to primarily teenage and late teen young ladies sometimes guys. Hence, the hip-hop..popping...pumping..tweeti ng..twatting..whatever you call it...BUCK! As for me..one of my favorite dancers was last year (I think) and she was a ballerina. Very well trained. Brought the judges to tears with a dance about breast cancer. Also performed a segment of Romeo and Juliet. Wish I could think of her name. I also love the ballroom...and Benji Schwimmer winner of Season 2 whose genre is West Coast Swing...could mop up the floor with everyone.

Maybe its been addressed here..but why the cut back in the number of contestants...ratings? Wouldn't surprise me.
    I think her name was Melissa. I agree about Benji, but I've heard he's a bit primadonna-ish; I think he's only been back to the show once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3930244;
    She's aged 4 years since then and has a two year old little girl. She's no longer that 18 year old young lady we remember.
    Actually, I think she looks better. She's matured quite well, IMO.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Re: Hip-Hop dancers - You're right that they are at a disadvantage. But how does the fact that the show has produced two hip-hop winners (Joshua and Russell) figure in to this?
    Joshua was amazing. He did well with every dance they threw at him. And he wasn't cocky...he was very sweet. He's one of my all time favorite contestants and if he hadn't competed that year, we would have missed out on a wonderful talent.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3930542;
    Actually, I think she looks better. She's matured quite well, IMO.
    I think so too.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3930244;
    She's aged 4 years since then and has a two year old little girl. She's no longer that 18 year old young lady we remember.
    I didn't realize she'd had a child and that it's been that long. However. The others like Anya have also aged and so has Lauren and they don't look quiet as different. Like I said, I didn't recognize her. Her smile is still the kind that lights the stage up.

Well in the case of Joshua and Russell, they weren't exactly untrained. Now were they? The show decided to slap the label of hip-hop on them when they could have very well had contemporary or something other than hip-hop. Same with Sarah who had the label of b-girl. When the dancer is trained they do very well, when they aren't.....they get crushed by the other dancers, the judges, the voters, and the choreographers.

Which is why I said it's not fair to them because I hate seeing their spirits crushed. The hip-hop and street dancers have some of the purest and best spirits we see on this show and some of them, you can see the light go out of them, by how cruel this process can be.

I don't like seeing that and I would rather the show stuck to those who are well trained so we don't have to watch that. But that's just my preference because I'm a big softie at heart lol.

RE: Mia and her absence. There are tons of articles out there saying why she was gone. Her mother had a prolonged illness and eventually lost the battle with breast cancer. She wanted to keep all that private out of respect for her mother so she let every body speculate while she was gone. It makes sense now why she lost it and why the other judges did during that Tyce routine, they all knew what was going on. I still think she's very hit or miss with her choreography but I think I like this new Mia that has emerged, she seems more balanced and as if a light is radiating from the inside (yeah...yeah...shush lol but it's true). Watch her during the show, she's not exactly happy.....but she's content and at peace. It's nice to see.

Ah yes and something I'd posted and got gobbled up by the server monster:

I'm very impressed with Alex's credentials. The guy is not just a ballet star, tap and jazz also factor heavily into his background. Search Alexdwong and you will see tons of videos he's posted showing him doing various routines, focus on the parodies. The guy is funny and has a 4-part series mocking the various dance genres.

I found it highly amusing that those videos are out there and now he is on this show doing the very dance styles he mocked in the videos. Alex....meet irony. LOL
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fan

I just watched the show. My thought was... why not let them dance in their own style for the first time without the all stars? Then bring them in each week as a side note - not featured dancers.

I do love Mark though - one of my all time faves.

I do like that they'll switch up partners so I guess if you pull the style of that all star that's how they'll choose partners. All the girls are short this year so looks like there won't be a problem with some of these small guys with a big tall lanky girl.

I'd rather have seen no all stars, but switch partners up every week, but they may have thought it would be difficult to keep up with all those new faces constantly switching.

Not to minimize Mia's loss, but I'm dreading another season of her making it all about her and her feelings and emotions on life.

FORT Fogey

This new format will keep couple juggernauts from forming, and not hold others dancers back. I loved seeing the incredible celebration of dance during the show. Early faves are Ashley, Alexie, Alex, Adechike. Forgot how much I like seeing Allison dance, she is just wonderful. I know I'm late to the party, but I really enjoyed Mark tonight! Ade as always is a treat to watch

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I agree with the other posters who said the all-stars distracted from the new contestants. I couldn't take my eyes off Mark and Neil. They either should have had the new contestants do some routines together, then have the all-stars dance separately, or just showcase the contestants and save the all-stars for next week.

I did enjoy seeing Mark, Neil and Pasha though...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast