+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 6/3 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 6/3 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3922845;
    She is Toni Redpath, a ballroom choreographer.

Robert Rolden (Contemporary)

Very good, but we've seen better. Can he compete with Kent Boyd who we saw yesterday?

Rebecca Hart (Contemporary)

Again, very good - but there are better. My lack of enthusiasm may be because we see so much of this modern bendy-jumpy-reachy stuff that someone really has to be different to make an impression.

I couldn't agree more !

Has it yet been explained by anyone why they are going to have a top 10 instead of 20?

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3922974;
    Oh, Teddy is gone! He was so incredible in his audition. Really moving. Sad to see him go - I hope he keeps working and comes back.

I agree 5 girls and 5 guys is going to be a brutal cut. But it's so the kids don't get chained into tragic partnerships that stunt their growth and kill the audience's chances of finding them. It doesn't matter who the professional partner's are. They will change with every dance.

Ha! Nice quote from Billy Bell:

"Toni's kind of like a Nazi Barbi."
    They could have a top twenty again and just have them change partners amongst themselves weekly.
    I'd rather see a full "all star" season with twenty people from previous seasons returning than this hybrid season.
    Of course I reserve the right to change my mind once the season gets underway
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3922931;
    Brian Gaynor is back! Does anybody know the song that he is dancing to?
    Fireflies by Owl City. Lee Dewyze sang it on Idol, too.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win;3923010;
    Has it yet been explained by anyone why they are going to have a top 10 instead of 20?
    Producers Nigel and Simon Fuller are trying to address some of the drawbacks built in to the previous format.
    • Each show eliminated one male and one female. They had to do it that way to maintain an even number for the boy-girl partnerships. However this always meant that in a year where there were, for example, more strong girls that really good girls would go and so-so guys would still be safe. And vice-versa for the years with lots of strong boys.
    • Contestants were limited at times by their partners. For example, last summer a lot of people didn't even notice winner Jeanine Mason until after partner Phillip Chbeeb left. Last season, the Nathan Trasoras / Mollee Gray partnership looked good on paper, but later the judges agreed that it prevented both of them from growing. And even in weeks when the partner's changed, a contemporary dance done by two contemporary dancers was probably going to be better received than one done by a contemporary and a hip-hop dancer.

So, the goal was to try to even the playing field as much as possible. Also, fans of the show become invested in the dancers and were always happy when someone from a past season would come back for some reason. So the producers decided to take advantage of that interest in alumni, and bring some back to function kind of like the professionals on DWTS. But there are some key differences.

Here's how the show will work (according to my understanding - anyone with more info please feel free to chime in):
    • There will be 10 contestants chosen in the "Green Mile" episode, five girls and five guys. Except this year instead of being called in front of the judges, each member of the semi-final group will be visited by a judge at their home to tell them if they made the show or not. Drama! Tears!
    • There will be no couple pairings between the contestants. Each week they will pick a dance style out of the hat. Just like before, that style comes with a choreographer attached. But now, there will also be a SYTYCD alumni partner attached, as well. So each contestants dances with a partner who specializes in that genre.
    • Each week, one contestant is eliminated. The show no longer has to maintain an equal number of guys/girls, so it could be anyone of the group. (This is why they can't do 20 contestants - the show would go on twice as long with one elimination per week.)
    • We will not see every alumni partner every week. They only dance when someone gets their genre and needs a partner of their gender. So, they are simply a pool of partners for the contestants to use.
    • Unlike DWTS, there are no permanent pairings between contestants and alumni partners. They change with every dance. Also, the alumni do not choreograph. I assume that they may do some coaching, and help the contestant master the style.

I think that kind of sums up what they are doing. Anyone want to add to that or comment?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Jordan Johnson, at the end of the show, looks like he's either back on crack or soon will be.

Too much contemporary this season. This could be a good season to skip.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3923430;
    • Each week, one contestant is eliminated. The show no longer has to maintain an equal number of guys/girls, so it could be anyone of the group. (This is why they can't do 20 contestants - the show would go on twice as long with one elimination per week.)
    • We will not see every alumni partner every week. They only dance when someone gets their genre and needs a partner of their gender. So, they are simply a pool of partners for the contestants to use.

I think that kind of sums up what they are doing. Anyone want to add to that or comment?
    Interesting, this is not how I was expecting it to work. Does this mean that there will be more than 10 alumni partners available? It also makes me wonder if they will have a more limited pool of dance styles if they need to have an alumni dancer who specializes. For example, they have never had a male ballet dancer on the show so does that mean no girl would be allowed to draw a ballet style of dance? And have we ever seen a dancer that actually listed Broadway as their specialty...?

I kind of like the idea, I'm curious to see how it works out. I' still a little bummed about some of the choices for the alumni I have seen so far. Especially with the girls, I'm not sure any of them were my favs in their seasons...

FORT Fogey

Question: Did we see Brandon Dumlao in Vegas? He replaced Billy Bell last season, and was given the chance by the producers to come back to Vegas this season. I don't recall seeing him. Did I miss him?

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3923524;
    Question: Did we see Brandon Dumlao in Vegas? He replaced Billy Bell last season, and was given the chance by the producers to come back to Vegas this season. I don't recall seeing him. Did I miss him?
    I didn't see him either and I'm sure they would have mentioned who he was and why he was back if he had been there.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3923524;
    *steps right up to that grassy knoll and takes a seat*

That's probably because they didn't live up to what they promised on TV :nono and rather than admit it will just pretend like it never happened.

*steps off the grassy knoll*

He probably didn't want to get his heart crushed a second time and just didn't try out.

OK about the the post you made discussing the way things may work with the new system. My main issue with that is that somebody is going to get saddled with Comfort, who was a dismal failure at her own style, and she is supposed to be the expert? The one helping them? I feel sorry for whoever pulls her and they couldn't find somebody else? Surely there was another female dancer who could fill that spot.

Was it last season when some girl got hurt and the guy with dreads (man my memory stinks and I liked him!) had to dance with the assistant and actually did a really great job and was well received? Maybe they got the idea from that.

I, overall, like the concept because as you said it eliminates that whole somebody better gets sent home because of the forced boy/girl eliminations. However.....with the way voting trends go on these types of shows....I will not be at all surprised if our final three are the hot boys. That's the one down side that I see, the cuteness will prevail over talent.

Hopefully I am proven wrong.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3922972;
    I'm not happy that only ten people will get through this season.
    A lot of good dancers won't make it and why, so we can see Twitch and Comfort again?
    I'm with you fluff... It is making it hard for me to get excited about ANY of these contestants since I know only 10 will make it to the show.
    The odds for anyone making it are awful.
    Not sure that this new format will be better than... let alone as good as the original format.

On the other hand, it will be great to see Pasha and Lauren again... but maybe they could have had an "All Stars" special instead... or an "All Stars" season where ALL of the dancers were previous contestants??

Cat Deeley still is awesome though!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast