+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 12/15 - Show Discussion - FINALE (part 1 of 2) - **SPOILERS**

Re: 12/15 - Show Discussion - FINALE (part 1 of 2) - **SPOILERS**

I think tonight would have been a lot more memorable if we had a top 4 of Jakob, Russell, Ellenore and Kathyrn...we could have seen solos and some outstanding partnerships/dances. A shame it didn't go a week longer and end with the normal format, I think those would be the final 4 with only Ellenore and Ashleigh being interchangeable.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RomanticHeart;3769513;
    I liked the paso tonight, but I have to say I really hated the graphics of the fire in the background.
    I didn't care for that background either. It detracted from their dancing. Also, I've noticed that a couple of times when Ellenore has done something out of her "zone," and those have been few, she has had the longer dress to cover her legs and hide some of her lack of tecnhique. It works though, and she looked stunning in this number!

And maybe it's just me, but I don't believe the whole "random drawing from a hat" story when it comes to choreographer/style they choose. Some of those contestants are VERY lucky if that is the case!

FORT Fogey

And I may have to miss tomorrow night or DVR it to fast forward through all of their fluff - I'd much rather have seen a 2-hour show tonight, with back stories and group dances, and less of their "star-studded" (yawn) time-waster tomorrow night. I can youtube those acts anytime, but won't because I don't want to see them anyway!!!

FORT Fogey

If you watch SYTYCD as a horse race to the finale, this has got to be the most boring season ever. I made the comment during the Top 20 show that it looked like Russell and Jakob would be slugging it out in the Finale. That was two months ago, those guys never let up and no one has come close to knocking them off their game.

We can talk about which one will take the top spot, and we can talk about how the others will place, but the choice of a favorite dancer comes down a preference between two worthy contenders.

Jakob - Let's talk about the Richardson / Rhoden number. This is the performance I just knew Jakob had in him. But all season long I've felt like Jakob has been doing routines that barely touched what he is capable of delivering. Yes, his strength and flexibility are incredible, but so what? Unless it's set loose in the serviceof real art, it's just a bunch of tricks.

That's why the Connections guys, as Nigel said, are exactly the company Jakob should be keeping. And I will echo Nigel's sentiments, I don't want to see Jakob dancing behind Lady Gaga on the Grammys. I don't want him doing the Cha-Cha with some has-been on DWTS, or buried in the chorus of a Broadway show. He should be with Alvin Ailey, Connections, Hubbard Street, or even New York City Ballet or American Ballet Theater. This is Baryshnikov-level talent here, and that is precious and not to be wasted. I would love for Jakob to win, but it's immaterial. He is so far beyond this show it hardly matters.

Russell - I love watching Russell dance. He is talented, but he also exudes a joy that screams "This is what I was born to do!". Or at least part of what he is born to do, because he is also an artist. No street dancer on this show has ever come as far as Russell in maintaining credibility in every dance style they attempt. (Although Sara in Season Three comes close.) While you can nit-pick over the details he may miss, he always captures the essence of each style.

And while the subject of his training has been controversial, I think it comes down to a simple distinction: Compared to the other dancers, Russell has a definite lack of training. His parents never drove him to classes after school; he never "studied" under anyone; he never did the competition circuit. But, lack of training is nor the same thing as no training - which is where I think a lot of people get thrown off. Russell went through a four year public high school dance program. Now, this was an exceptionally good program, obviously. But that's where his foundation comes from. Still, the judges are understandably amazed that he is mastering these dances without spending years in a private studio like the others. Russell is an inspiration, and an example of why the arts important in our public schools.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 12-15-2009 at 11:33 PM.

TopCatDC, I agree with your above post. For me, Kathryn is right behind them. Give that girl a just little more experience and she is going to be amazing.

This season was weird. Jakob was by far the "best" dancer and nobody really came close to him in technique and style. Usually there are several that are on par with each other at that high of a level and it really makes it exciting. I think most of the other dancers were on par with each other but nobody was really fighting to knock Jakob off the throne. I also think (and this is only MHO)that besides Russel, there was a definite lack of personality this season.

Overall, I'm happy with the final six and enjoyed the show tonight. I didn't think anyone lacked anything in their dancing but I thought Jakob and Kathryns dance was the highlight of the night. I'm rooting for Jakob, Russel or Kathryn to win.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3769670;
    Still, the judges are understandably amazed that he is mastering these dances without spending years in a private studio like the others. Russell is an inspiration, and an example of why the arts important in our public schools.
    I have to agree with this. While Russell is not my very favorite, and I think his lack of training shows in comparison to some of the others, he is truly a joy to watch! And in my neck of the woods, his number was the only one with a busy signal! (I had to try all of the lines to see how it was sounding.)

If the school Russell attended is similar to the Orange County School of Arts, then it is not just a public high school ... it is a public school because it obtains public funds, but it's definately a school for the arts, with dance/singing/music, etc., as the core curriculum, with academics to meet the state requirements. Very much like Otis Parsons for fine art.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by kiariclois;3769485;
    Obviously. Everybody at SYTYCDism seems to be team Jakob cause the creators are friends with Jeanine...
    What do you mean? I know from an earlier episode that Jakob and Jeanine are friends, but what do you mean about the creators?

Only An Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3769699;
    What do you mean? I know from an earlier episode that Jakob and Jeanine are friends, but what do you mean about the creators?

The creators/writers of the website sytycdism are friends with Jeanine, who is best friends with Jakob.

FORT Fogey

Kathryn - I hope Kathryn is sending Noelle a big bunch of flowers tonight, because Noelle's elimination is the best thing that could have happened to Kathryn. The two of them were so alike, they devalued each other. It made Kathryn's talent seem like it was common. Like colliding galaxys, one had to absorb the other. Now, away from Noelle and Legacy, we can see and appreciate Kathryn on her own. And she was breathtaking in the Richardson / Rhoden Contemporary number with Jakob tonight. They fit together perfectly - I wish they could have been paired together earlier. Kathryn reminded me of Jeanine in that routine, very earthy and grounded - adjectives not usually associated with her performances.

I am convinced that Kathryn will place higher than any of the other girls, maybe just behind Russell and Jakob.

Ellenore - Reasonable people will disagree with me and put Ellenore ahead of Kathryn. I can see where that may be - it really comes down to preference, much like Jakob and Russell. But I think Ellenore's quirkiness has gone from being a positive early on (she stood out from NoelleMolleeChanningKathryn), to being a negative. Now the quirk reputation is making people overlook how substantial and varied her performances are.

Ryan - Ryan has done a wonderful job this season. He has proven (like tonight) that he can handle a Contemporary style like a pro. He showed his ballroom chops with the smokin' Samba. But ultimately I think Ryan has limited appeal. As good as he is, he feels too old for this competition (though I know he is inside the age limit - barely). He seems like somebody's dad - you see the dancers all lined up and it's like "Which of these is not like the others?" My hat is off to him for a great season, but really, stacked up against Russell and Jakob he was never going to be anything other than the last place "boy".

Ashleigh - Ashleigh didn't have a good night, comparatively speaking. Her best number by far was the emotional Travis Contemporary routine with her husband. But I think people will see that more as an emotional performance than a dance performance. If you are already a fan you will vote for her, but I don't think she won a lot of new fans tonight.

+ Reply to Thread