+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Season 7

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Season 7

I don't read the spoiler threads, and don't read much about the show outside of this forum.

Is there any news on whether they're going back to summer-only next year, or is it going to be in the fall again?

I hated the changes they made this season due to the fall scheduling. I'd rather see it back in the summer only.

FORT Fogey

Re: Season 7

Cat said that they would start auditions in February - so that seems to indicate they are back on the summer schedule. Anyone have definite info?

I read that Nigel wants to go back to summer only format while the network likes the two times a year format and is quieting any talk of returning to one time a year. Apparently it boosted ratings for Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by thetinydancer;3767992;
    I read that Nigel wants to go back to summer only format while the network likes the two times a year format and is quieting any talk of returning to one time a year. Apparently it boosted ratings for Fox.
    Really? I was under the impression that the shows ratings dipped considerably but I suppose even with the dip it was still a gain for the network this time of year.

I personally think it's too much of a good thing. I haven't enjoyed season 6 as much as I've enjoyed the others because I'm feeling a little over saturated and more than a little bored. What I think makes this show better for me is the anticipation of the next season. I start getting really excited as the months and weeks get closer.

What's to get excited about when the next season starts barely 2 months after the last one?

Also, the season 6 kids got shorted BIG TIME. Went to the official website and there is no mention of a tour. If I were a dancer trying out for this? I would never do one of the fall seasons. The tour is a big deal for these kids with the exposure and the pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3768012;
    I personally think it's too much of a good thing. I haven't enjoyed season 6 as much as I've enjoyed the others because I'm feeling a little over saturated and more than a little bored. What I think makes this show better for me is the anticipation of the next season. I start getting really excited as the months and weeks get closer.

This is exactly how I've felt about this season. I feel like it was too much to watch another season right behind the last one. It hasn't kept me interested like when it only airs in the summer.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by thetinydancer;3767992;
    Oh, I hope they don't do that. I follow American Idol as well, so this year that has given me four weeks in the summer, and now three weeks over the holidays when I can make plans for Tuesday / Wednesday nights. This is getting to be exhausting! And I'm only watching the thing.

I totally agree with everything that has been said. But yes, I read that even though the ratings have dipped for the show, it has still helped FOX overall.

I feel like the choreographers have been hurt by the 2 seasons as well. I feel like the pieces aren't as original this time around.

This season doesn't come close to any season as far as I'm concerned. I haven't connected to the dancers as I have in previous seasons.

I have to disagree with everyone's sentiments about S6.

But first off, I'll begin with the negatives. I was really bored with this season in the beginning. The auditions were a snoozefest, except from maybe a few bright spots (I still remember the bounce guy--loved his audition!). Then I got really behind after the Top20 rolled around. I missed the Top18, Top16, Top14, Top12, and Top10 shows when they initally aired. That just shows how much I was invested before.

At first, I remember cheering about the fact that the audition shows were an hour each (2-hour long shows get a bit tedious after a while--just ask fans of The Biggest Loser ). But in retrospect, that is another one of the low spots of this season. It dragged on the audition stage, which made it even more boring. Plus, with the hour-long audition shows, there was less time for the performance shows to air, which I believe is the cause of there being a F6 this season.

Speaking of the F6, it's another thing I dislike. The F4 has always been a special moment to the few that acheive it; a six-person finale seems like just too much. Plus, we have one less week to see dances that the contestants can possibly shine in. Not to mention that the performance finale is only an hour long! Does FOX really deem it necessary to air a show of Gordon Ramsay cooking live!?

And lastly, the idea of there being a fall season just fatigued me. Two seasons back to back was a little tiresome. I needed a break for a while (I guess that's why I missed so many performance shows! ).

But for me, the negatives don't outweigh the positives in this case. One positive: S6 is so much better than S5. I was on another site, looking for pictures of this season (I wanted to make a new avatar, which you can see right now ). While searching around, one site said, "S6 was such a disaapointment after the amazing season that was S5." Wow, you've got to be kidding me, right? S5 sucked! After catching up with all of the episodes I missed, I have found myself more interested and more invested in this season. I may be one of the few who thinks this, but S6 is a good season and is definitely a step up from S5.

What makes it a good season? One reason is the couples. The lack of any power couples was one of the reasons why S5 disappointed. But this season had many strong couples from the get-go. I think the strongest couple was Jakob/Ashleigh. Yes, maybe I'm biased, but they worked so well together. Their chemistry was great, and they had so many great dances together, from their Mandy Moore cane dance, to the Sonya jazz routine, the their NappyTabs break-routine, to their chair cha-cha.

Another great couple would have to be Kathryn/Legacy. They surprisingly worked out! I didn't expect them to, but they never once touched the B3 when they were paired with each other. I've read rumors that they're actually dating now. I don't see it, but if it's true, then that just shows how much they clicked as a couple. I remember their Stacey Tookey contemporary giving me goosebumps. They were paired perfectly. Kathryn taught Legacy to become a better dancer, and Legacy brought this sense of joy in Kathryn (definitely a different side to her, compared to the waterworks we witnessed from her right before she made the Top20 ).

Then there was Ryan/Ellenore. Yes, they landed in the bottom a few times, but it has been said time and time again how great of a partner Ryan is. That was definitely showcased with his partnership with Ellenore. One particular dance I'd like to point out is their Argenitine Tango. Hot, hot, hot!

As for the other couples, I personally thought Mollee/Nathan were perfectly matched at the beginning. Then the judges came down hard on Nathan, and that's when things started to fall apart. I thought Victor/Channing were great together also. But that didn't really turn out to be anything, after she was eliminated during the Top14. Karen/Kevin danced well, but they never really connected with the audience. But when Karen/Victor came together, they turned out that really awesome tango. If a couple who had just been together for one week can turn out an awesome dance like that tango, then that just shows how awesome the couples were this season.

Another reason why I liked this season was the dances. I have to disagree about the choreography being lackluster this season. If anything, the choreography was lackluster during S5. With this season, I can name many memorable dances off the top of my head; I've already named a few above while mentioning the couples.

Also, with this season, I've found myself enjoying the Broadway routines! Broadway has been my least favorite style on this show, but this season has definitely showcased how great the style can be. One of my favorite routines this season is Ellenore/Ryan's Razzle Dazzle routine (Top12). I also liked Jakob/Mollee's routine last week. The hip-hop routines have also improved from last season. Let's face it: HH kinda sucked last season. I only remember liking Jeanine/Phillip's Bed routine, and Kayla/Jason's zombie routine. But I've liked more HH dances this season, with Ashleigh/Jakob's break-up HH, to Kevin/Karen's car garage to HH. And I also liked Mollee/Nathan's Alexander Bell HH.

Oh gosh, look at me. I think I went a little overboard here! This is such a long post that I don't expect any of you to read it. The point is, I thought S6 was pretty awesome. I'm definitely excited to see how it will all end this week.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 12-14-2009 at 06:16 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

I agree with much of what you posted - I didn't watch any of the auditions, and when I tried they were BORING - I would much rather have simply had a sprinkling of the auditions that were good and straight to vegas so there was time for performances - esp.t he new "intheir own style" introduction of the top 20, AND get us to a final FOUR. I missed most of the shows due to the competition from Biggest Loser, so next year try to go to Monday and go up against DWTS instead - that would be incredible (DWTS is so boring to me now that we have SYTYCD).
    I have loved the pairings, but hated that the judges made the early decisions - let's get this scheduled AROUND baseball but still make it work that we can select!

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3768345;
    I have loved the pairings, but hated that the judges made the early decisions - let's get this scheduled AROUND baseball but still make it work that we can select!
    I may be in the minority, but I really liked the fact that the judges made the first few cuts. At that point in the show, we knew so little about some of the dancers. Others had been shown extensively in the audition rounds. It becomes very easy in those first weeks for the whole thing to turn into a who-got-the-most-camera-time-during-auditions game. By having the judges make the first few cuts, it really kept America from saving a lesser dancer (and I know, they're all GREAT to get to the top 20!) just because we knew more about them. By the time America started deciding the bottom 3, we'd seen enough of everyone to make a decision based on dancing, not face-time.

I've been a little disappointed with this season, but I think it's because we came right off of Season 5 and straight into 6. I still love the show, but don't find myself as enthralled as I did previously. I'm also getting the feeling that the judges may feel the same way. How many times have we heard Adam wonder out loud when the season would get started? We come off such a high of the Season 5 finale and start all over again from the beginning so quickly afterward. I don't know, it just seemed like a bit of a let down to me. I hope they don't do back to back seasons again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast