+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: 12/9 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Re: 12/9 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3765874;
    Donyelle finished ahead of Heidi? I placed Heidi third without looking it up because I was thinking no way.
    Hard to believe, but that is true according to Wikipedia.
    They list all the contestants, and what place they finished in for each season.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3766320;
    Hard to believe, but that is true according to Wikipedia.
    They list all the contestants, and what place they finished in for each season.
    I'm not sure that we can be certain that the order in which they were eliminated on the finale is in fact the order in which they placed by votes. If you read Wayward's recap, you can see Cat does girls first and then guys. Possibly done for drama, possibly done beacuse Travis & Benji were the top 2 vote getters. The show didn't actually say.

Back on topic -
    With Ashleigh, it's a completely different situation. We've seen her dance to other styles week after week until this last week which determine the finalists. Unlike the Jessi/Noelle, the decision was made entirely by the audience by this time; the judges won't be the ones who have the power to eliminate the bottom two/three. So the judges let the audience decide was actually a fair thing to do, and it's no free pass...
    I think this is the main reason why I am okay with/happy about her making it through. She's earned it. I also think that the show has evolved over the past several seasons. Matured, if you will. Each season presents new scenarios that the show has to handle, as a production. I feel that the way it's handled the injuries & sicknesses this year is a culmination of the show's learned experiences of past experiences. Just like we all use our past experiences to make decisions as we grow up, so does the show. Therefore we shouldn't necessarily expect the way Ashleigh or Noelle or Billy's situation to be dealt with in the same manner that Jessi's situation was handled. Sure we can still say it was unfair for Jessi at the time and were she on the show this season, it likely would have been different for her.
    Last edited by MiaT2; 12-11-2009 at 09:02 AM.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3766273;
    Russell's at the bottom of my list, but I'm fully expecting him to win. I'm preparing myself to not be too disappointed when/if it happens.

(snipped for space)

And that leaves Ashleigh. I think it would be a great underdog story if she happened to win. She definitely began the show with many people against her, doubting her talent. But week after week, she brought it. I think what helped that was her partnership with Jakob. They were a great couple. I want to see Ashleigh win, but I doubt it'll happen.

Plus, there's the injury. I really wish it never happened. If she actually happened to win, then there would be a lot of backlash, and I'm kind of dreading that. I definitely understand why people are upset with her getting through without having to dance, but at the same time, she couldn't do anything about it. It was just an unfortunate circumstance, and it sucks it even happened.

First, I like Russell's personality and charisma. He appears to be the naturally but humbly talented person which makes it hard not to like him!
    However...someone else up thread pointed out that Ashleigh's injury took place at the hands of a guy who was very inexperienced in the kind of move they were trying to make at the time when the injury occurred. As we watched a playback of an extremely difficult move ( between the very experienced pro assistant and Russell), Adam (?) pointed out that was where Ashleigh's injury happened.
    It is possible that Russell's lack of experience and skill just may have caused Ashleigh's injury.
    If that is indeed the case, then life may have been fair ( for once!) in allowing Ashleigh the vote to procede on to the finals.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3766404;
    However...someone else up thread pointed out that Ashleigh's injury took place at the hands of a guy who was very inexperienced in the kind of move they were trying to make at the time when the injury occurred. As we watched a playback of an extremely difficult move ( between the very experienced pro assistant and Russell), Adam (?) pointed out that was where Ashleigh's injury happened.
    It is possible that Russell's lack of experience and skill just may have caused Ashleigh's injury.
    If that is indeed the case, then life may have been fair ( for once!) in allowing Ashleigh the vote to procede on to the finals.
    I said it.

While I think that Russell has had across the board exposure to various dance techniques at his arts school, I don't in anyway think it was extensive and that this showed when the choreographers asked more of him than he was able to give.

I do feel that the injury was caused by him not being all that experienced (exposure and the extensive training that some of these kids have had since they were 4 - 5 are two different animals).

So if that injury was caused by his lack of experience? Then yes, life was very fair to her. Besides, I just love the whole underdog story and how she was so sick and couldn't dance for so long and managed to go back to dancing.

Her joy and appreciation of the "gift" she was given comes across so much and just makes me happy to see it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3766414;
    I said it.

While I think that Russell has had across the board exposure to various dance techniques at his arts school, I don't in anyway think it was extensive and that this showed when the choreographers asked more of him than he was able to give.

I do feel that the injury was caused by him not being all that experienced (exposure and the extensive training that some of these kids have had since they were 4 - 5 are two different animals).

So if that injury was caused by his lack of experience? Then yes, life was very fair to her. Besides, I just love the whole underdog story and how she was so sick and couldn't dance for so long and managed to go back to dancing.

Her joy and appreciation of the "gift" she was given comes across so much and just makes me happy to see it.

We can speculate as to how this injury happened, but no one reallys knows. If we're going to call into question Russell's experience, you have to include every guy exceptfor Ryan into that argument. He's the only guy with partnering experience. Dancing is demanding on the body, and injuries happen.

It's good that the fans stepped up to save Ashleigh, and I hope she's healthy enough to dance in the finale.

I agree - we don't know that Ashleigh's injury was Russell's fault! We have no way to know that. Maybe it was dangerous choreography. Maybe it was Ashleigh herself's fault. Maybe it was due to a pre-existing medical condition of Ashleigh's. As SpringMaiden says, injuries happen to dancers all the time. It was probably just a freak accident.

Have you noticed all the bruises on the girls? Especially Kathryn, she seems to have big bruises all over her legs each episode. Dancing looks to be rough on the body.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789