+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 12/2 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 12/2 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Technically, Jacob beats everybody hands down and is the complete package; however, Russell at this particular moment is the one I think you have to watch out for! With supposedly little training in anything but krump, he quite acceptably dances everything else, and he is loaded with charisma

From what I read, Russell attended a school of the arts, and has had some training in other genres of dance. Maybe not extensive, but he's had exposure to other styles than krump.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3761650;
    ...I have never seen Benji dance, but I have heard folks discuss him on the DWTS board ( often not very favorably - did he have an attitude?).

Technically, Jacob beats everybody hands down and is the complete package; however, Russell at this particular moment is the one I think you have to watch out for! With supposedly little training in anything but krump, he quite acceptably dances everything else, and he is loaded with charisma.

How much influence do the judges end up having on this show? I know that it isn't supposed to be much, but I know that nevertheless it is considerable on other shows. They do have the power to sway a good many people's opinions by what they think and say. ("herd" mentality)
    Re: Benji - if people are critical of Benji it is definitely not for his attitude. He is just a sweet goofy guy that wouldn't hesitate to stop and help an old lady and her cat across the street. Some are justifiably critical of his dance technique, particularly in contemporary styles. But that has to be balanced with the fact that he is a ballroom dancer - he never claimed to be the next Baryshnikov. And as a West Coast Swing dancer, his specialty will come off as cheesy to some. C'est la vie. He's doing just fine - getting a lot of choreography work at the moment. (I'm a twitter eavesdropper.)

Re: Russell - his lack, or non-lack of experience, as the case may be, has come up before. See my previous post in his thread for details on his background.

Re: Judges influence - it is funny, as others have said, that the judges comments on this show tend to have the opposite effect that one would expect. If they criticize a contestant with an acitve fan base (like Evan last season), said fan base will vote twice as hard to save their favorite. That's not too unusal, it happens on DWTS and AI all the time as well.

What's particularly weird on SYTYCD is that if they praise a dancer week after week, a lot of people turn off. You will hear comments to the effect that so-and-so is being "shoved down our throat".

I think that the judges have now caught on to this. I'm pretty sure they manufactured the whole "Mia Michaels Hates Brandon" story line this past summer just to keep the technically excellent and hard working Brandon from seeming an inevitable finalist.

Similarly, their handling of Jakob this season as been very careful. Jakob got very little exposure in the audition/Las Vegas weeks. This despite that fact that he was quite obviously head and shoulders above almost everyone there. Rather than wax eloquent on his amazing technique, I think they have tried to let the audience discover Jakob for themselves. It's worth noting that last night was the fist time all season that Jakob danced his style (contemp) and that he danced a solo, and that he was at the end, rather than the beginning of the show. I think this has all been part of an effort to play him down to keep the audience from turning on him.

And, trust me, they would turn if there had been five weeks of "Jakob, no one else is even in your league" comments. That may be true, but they know better than to have that come out of their mouths on TV.

FORT Fogey

I can't help but wonder how different this season would be if Paula and Billy had been able to stay in the Top 20. I imagine Paula and Ellenore would've really pushed each other, and the same for Billy and Jakob. There would've been some "knock your socks off" dancing every week!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3761944;
    Re: Judges influence - it is funny, as others have said, that the judges comments on this show tend to have the opposite effect that one would expect. If they criticize a contestant with an acitve fan base (like Evan last season), said fan base will vote twice as hard to save their favorite. That's not too unusal, it happens on DWTS and AI all the time as well.

What's particularly weird on SYTYCD is that if they praise a dancer week after week, a lot of people turn off. You will hear comments to the effect that so-and-so is being "shoved down our throat".

I think that the judges have now caught on to this. I'm pretty sure they manufactured the whole "Mia Michaels Hates Brandon" story line this past summer just to keep the technically excellent and hard working Brandon from seeming an inevitable finalist.

Similarly, their handling of Jakob this season as been very careful. Jakob got very little exposure in the audition/Las Vegas weeks. This despite that fact that he was quite obviously head and shoulders above almost everyone there. Rather than wax eloquent on his amazing technique, I think they have tried to let the audience discover Jakob for themselves. It's worth noting that last night was the fist time all season that Jakob danced his style (contemp) and that he danced a solo, and that he was at the end, rather than the beginning of the show. I think this has all been part of an effort to play him down to keep the audience from turning on him.

And, trust me, they would turn if there had been five weeks of "Jakob, no one else is even in your league" comments. That may be true, but they know better than to have that come out of their mouths on TV.
    All of this is true. And I'm glad that the judges have learned NOT to make those "no one else is even in your league" comments. I'd rather discover that for myself. And I think the problem is pretty simple - if Jakob is the obvious winner, if he's the favorite of all the judges, then what am I watching for? We might as well just end the season now, give Jakob the crown, and be done with it. And while it may be true that Jakob is the best overall dancer, the fans are looking for other things as well, such as growth, that we may see more in other, less technically perfect dancers.

The only thing that I disagree with is that I don't think the "favorite fatigue" is unique to SYTYCD. I think that when the judges overly praise a contestant on almost any show, they risk a backlash. I've seen it on AI, for sure.

They have toned it down quite a bit. You get the feeling that the judges would love to see Jakob win, but they are praising without gushing and it's made all the difference. He's getting lots of positive comments and he's quite popular. The judges just need to realize that we aren't stupid. We know talent when we see it. Let's face it....Jakob could dance the jig to a nursery rhyme and he'd still make it work...
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

True... It's truly annoying...

I don't see the fact that they're "handling" it well.

Talking about the judges; I came to really get annoy every time Mr. Nigel Lythgoe open his mouth. He tends to compare the couple who just danced with the couple from the previous dances. It's really annoying to hear him comparing the dancers. Just comment on the CURRENT dancers and just them alone. Just on this week show, he started off talking about Ellenore/Jakob's routine before he even started commenting on Russell/Mollee's Jive routine. It annoys the crap out of me. I get it, Sonya Tayeh's routine was AMAZING, but jeez, Nigel -- Comment on the CURRENT couple and NOT the other couple/routine. It's this kind of favoritism (yeah, it was quite apparent to everyone of who he WUVES) that turned people off...

I remember back when the top 20 did their performance; when Billy Bell weren't able to dance. When it was Jakob's turn, Nigel started off about how great it would be for the show if the audience were able to see Jakob and Billy compete in the competition... Something like that. I was like, why would you say that?? I felt offended for the other dancers, really. If I were one of the contestants, I would ask myself, "then what am I? Chopped liver?"... and if I'm Jakob, I would say "huh... what's Billy Bell's got to do with this routine?"

I'm not saying that the judges shouldn't praise or show their excitement over the dancer; just do it when it's appropriate... They're being like the fans instead of professionals, obviously favoring one over the other...
    Last edited by kiariclois; 12-04-2009 at 01:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456