+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 12/1 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 12/1 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Here's how I see the guys stacking up after tonight's performances. The guys are clearly stratified, and each week has only entrenched each in their position.

Jakob - The best dancer. But we all know that the best dancer rarely wins. Will this be the year? Whatever happens in the finale - Jakob is clearly headed there.

Russell - In a weird way, Russell almost parallels Jakob. He is wonderful in his street style AND he is never less than very good in any dance genre he attempts. Tonight's Mandy Moore routine is a good example. Watching that I would never guess that he wasn't a contemporary dancer. Major props to Boston's Arts Academy high school for turning out such a wonderful all-around dancer. For people who find Jakob too ballet-trained perfect, Russell is a perfect alternative.

Legacy - We drop a level and find Legacy who has grown so much over the season. The hard hitting contemp number was close to a street style, but the partner work was new for him. And he was very very good - but still rough around the edges. What puts Legacy below Russell in my book is that Russell always puts on a competent routine, while Legacy occasionally fails to master a new genre. Legacy got stuck with that unfortunate Count Choc-u-la number tonight, but fans will probably quickly forget that and just remember the athletic action number.

Ryan - Ryan and Legacy are two sides of the same coin. Excellent in their style; versatile in other styles; but occasionally fail to impress. The office politics number didn't do Ryan any favors. The waltz was beautiful work - but it's hard to get votes with a romantic waltz. I think the clock is ticking for Ryan and he will always be in the bottom from now until he leaves.

Nathan - No one started the Top 20 with a bigger built in fan base than Nathan. People have been looking forward to seeing him dance since the Season 5 auditions. And for the first couple of weeks he and Mollee were being called a "power couple". Then Nigel turned on him, and it seems to have knocked him completely off his game. Nigel wanted to kill off the cockiness, but ended up deflating all his confidence. It's so surprising to find him a the bottom of my list and the most likely to be voted off this week.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 12-02-2009 at 12:00 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;3760685;
    I miss seeing them practice w/the choreographers before the actual performance- it helped explain some of the off-the-wall dances and to see where the dancers were stuggling too. I wonder if they were cut out because of the President's Address.
    I miss the footage of them with the choreographers as well. It give a good sense of the personalities.

And Mollee was in High School Musical 1, 2, & 3 - doesn't that somehow disqualify one from a competition such as this? Guess not. I see her as a gymnast anyway - her moves are very sharp and she just seems too stiff to me, not flowy and versatile like some of the other gals. The first dance she and Russell did tonight was not nearly as good as the one he and Noelle did a couple of weeks ago - I didn't feel their chemistry tonight the way the judges did.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;3760685;
    I miss seeing them practice w/the choreographers before the actual performance- it helped explain some of the off-the-wall dances and to see where the dancers were stuggling too. I wonder if they were cut out because of the President's Address.
    I agree but if the dance is well-choreographed, we shouldn't need an introduction. Like Sonya's piece, I didn't need an intro and I knew exactly what was being depicted in the dance.

FORT Fogey

The girls are mostly clumped together for me. It's hard to predict the two that will make the finale. So, unlike the guys, these are in no particular order:

Ellenore - She's good, consistent, and quirkily different. At this point I think that counts for a lot.

Noelle - She had a good week and a nice solo. But often I find her indistinguishable from...

Kathryn - Like Noelle she had a good week and she has been consistently good throughout the season. But I don't think either of them have much "star" quality.

Ashliegh - Ashliegh has been very good up to now, but tonight she disappeared a bit for me. I don't think I even looked at her in the vampire number - I was so distracted by Legacy's cape. She should survive this week and could easily come back next week with great routines.

Mollee - Mollee gets the "most improved" award this week. And that has been the pattern the last couple of weeks. While Nathan was beaten down by the criticism, Mollee seems to have taken it to heart and pushed farther and farther outside her comfort zone.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 12-02-2009 at 12:03 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KofferMum;3760536;
    The choreography on the Russell Mollee number was horrible.
    I know it's late in the evening but I just got to watch my DVR version and sheesh, I couldn't agree more. Felt the choreography was choppy and thought Mollee "stumbled" on some of her transitions. I guess I don't care for her dancing as much as Nigel.

FORT Fogey

Ellenore and Jakob were wonderful tonight! They got the kiss of death Quickstep, and just owned it. Their carriage was so effortless in that dance. I knew Sonya, Ellenore, and Jakob in a room would be magic. Can't wait to see that number again.

I don't know how the voting will go this year at all. Kathryn wants this so much, and she's really putting in the work every week. Ashleigh seems to be empowered by the show, and she's turned into quite the competitor! Russell is so versatile - Krump, Jive, and Contemporary in one evening? Wow! When he completed his solo, I thought, "now that's how it's done!"

It's going to interesting to see how it all unfolds. Nice to see some truly memorable dances this evening

I couldn't make myself vote because I still don't have a clear-cut favorite. Love, love, love Jakob and Ellenore together, and they knocked it out of the park with Sonya's piece. Wow, just wow! And nailed that dreaded quickstep just like Derek Hough on DWTS...

p.s. I love Russell too!

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3760689;
    I miss the footage of them with the choreographers as well. It give a good sense of the personalities.

And Mollee was in High School Musical 1, 2, & 3 - doesn't that somehow disqualify one from a competition such as this? Guess not. I see her as a gymnast anyway - her moves are very sharp and she just seems too stiff to me, not flowy and versatile like some of the other gals. The first dance she and Russell did tonight was not nearly as good as the one he and Noelle did a couple of weeks ago - I didn't feel their chemistry tonight the way the judges did.
    Sabra was in HSM 1. Others have done modeling and movies, as well. A lot of these people are 'working' dancers. Heck, even Legacy has worked with Lauren from Sabra's season. I believe Ellinore has racked up quite a resume, too. Plus, do you remember Mollee from the HSM franchise? I've seen them all and don't remember her or Sabra. SYTYCD gives them exposure.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

TOPCAT DC I sooo agree with your rating of the dancers thus far. I too find Mollee improving but still not at the level of some of the others, she "performs" well, but never seems to flow or fit the music...I was looking forward to Nathan this season and he was one of my favs at the beginning, however he is needs a bit more "seasoning" to hold up with the rest of the guys this season.

I agree with the Noelle and Kathryn comparison, I think that they are "forgettable" whereas Ellenore is the "quirky" one that in itself stands out...

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;3760817;
    TOPCAT DC I sooo agree with your rating of the dancers thus far. I too find Mollee improving but still not at the level of some of the others, she "performs" well, but never seems to flow or fit the music...I was looking forward to Nathan this season and he was one of my favs at the beginning, however he is needs a bit more "seasoning" to hold up with the rest of the guys this season.

I agree with the Noelle and Kathryn comparison, I think that they are "forgettable" whereas Ellenore is the "quirky" one that in itself stands out...
    I feel like Mollee looks very awkward in heels. It seems like she can't even walk in them. It is very distracting when watching her dance.

+ Reply to Thread