+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 12/1 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Re: 12/1 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

I love Pasha & Anya's choreography... I would love to see more of their routines on this show!
    Also, I wish they would bring back Benji to choreograph a West Coast Swing routine - the piece he did for Pasha and Sara is still one of my favorites.
    And didn't Dimitri choreograph something in a previous season?
    I also agree with the poster who wanted to bring back Travis Wall for more contemporary routines - I have really enjoyed his (2?) routines this year.
    I love to see the old contestants come back as choreographers.

Quote Originally Posted by sjjmom;3761019;
    I am so glad that the judges finally aimed some criticism at the choreographers last night. A couple of the dances were awful, especially that vampire thing and the rumba. I felt sorry for the dancers who had to dance those.
    I'm glad they did too, but once said, they should have been critiquing how the dancers worked with the material they were given. Instead they turned the criticism of the choreography on the dancers - telling them they should be showing us more complex things at this stage of the game. Ashleigh and Legacy did not do a good job on the vampire dance - beyond the bad choreography. The rumba on the other hand was danced well even if it was not truly a rumba.

Best of the night:

Jakob/Ellenore (Contemporary) - Mostly because of Sonya's routine, and Jakob fantastical lines; seriously -- Jakob really killed us. Ellenore was just "meh" for me. I still hate her lines... Maybe it's her not-so-pretty legs. lol.

Ashleigh/Legacy (Contemporary) - I dunno why, but I loved the routine. Is that a new choreographer? Cause I don't remember him. The moves are all kinda acrobatics, but it seems like effortless when Ashleigh and Legacy danced to it. They're both of different style of dancing, and yet, they're both manage to amazing lines... Ashleigh keeps saying that her whole body is swollen; I can see why. The end was amazing!

Russell/Mollee (Lyrical Jazz) - I see that Russell somehow brought the maturity out of the kid. The routine was amazing... and the song helps a lot too with the emotion from the dance.

Jakob's solo was breath-taking (though, I still think Billy Bell's was way, way better )... Ellenore's solo annoys the crap out of me. My sister was like, wth is she doing? lol... Legacy was amazing!!! I think he finally incorporate some of his moves with the music...

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Only just got to watch my tapes of this and the results show.

I don't have much important to add at this point. Except regarding the Sonya Jakob/Ellenore number - I was a HUGE fan of the "Garden" number with Mark and Courtney. When watching this one, I kept thinking, "This is that routine rehashed."

Even though I like Jakob and Ellenore, and even though I think Jakob is a better technical dancer than Mark (a personal favorite), and Ellenore better than Courtney, I was not as blown away by this as everyone else.

Probably because I've re-watched the Garden number a dozen times, and this was just a major re-do.

I'm noticing a lot of rehashing of moves & gimmicks this year. The Tabitha/Napoleon number for Noelle & Ryan included a LOT of the moves from the Mark/Chelsea "Bleeding Love" routine.

JMB - I believe Dimitri choregraphed one of my favorite numbers - the Hip Hip, Chin Chin samba by Lacey & Danny in season 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3762383;

I don't have much important to add at this point. Except regarding the Sonya Jakob/Ellenore number - I was a HUGE fan of the "Garden" number with Mark and Courtney. When watching this one, I kept thinking, "This is that routine rehashed."

Even though I like Jakob and Ellenore, and even though I think Jakob is a better technical dancer than Mark (a personal favorite), and Ellenore better than Courtney, I was not as blown away by this as everyone else.

Probably because I've re-watched the Garden number a dozen times, and this was just a major re-do.

I'm noticing a lot of rehashing of moves & gimmicks this year. The Tabitha/Napoleon number for Noelle & Ryan included a LOT of the moves from the Mark/Chelsea "Bleeding Love" routine.

JMB - I believe Dimitri choregraphed one of my favorite numbers - the Hip Hip, Chin Chin samba by Lacey & Danny in season 3.
    "Chelsie", Chelsea was a different dancer that season with a much darker skin tone.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

LOL - there is no way I'm going to remember the spellings of people's names from season to season, it's hard enough for me to remember the names, period.

FORT Fogey

Yup, I thought I watching that routine all over again. Maybe even the choreographers are exhausted with the back-to-back seasons. I know I am. I was so happy when Cat said that we'd have a winner in two weeks.

FORT Fogey

I completely agree with you on the deja vu feeling of some of the moves!

The main thing I noticed, watching the results show and finally the whole performances - the solos took away from seeing the rehearsals, showing developing of new chemistry with new couples, and getting an explanation of the story of the dances - I REALLy Missed this because I don't get the concept usually without knowing what to look for.

I think I may have enjoyed Jacob/Ellenore more with an explanation. That is one reason that the Bleeding Love, Sabra/Neil table dance, and Heidi/Travis bench dances were so moving to me. BRING BACK the rehearsals!

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3762438;
    The main thing I noticed, watching the results show and finally the whole performances - the solos took away from seeing the rehearsals, showing developing of new chemistry with new couples, and getting an explanation of the story of the dances - I REALLy Missed this because I don't get the concept usually without knowing what to look for.

I think I may have enjoyed Jacob/Ellenore more with an explanation. That is one reason that the Bleeding Love, Sabra/Neil table dance, and Heidi/Travis bench dances were so moving to me. BRING BACK the rehearsals!
    Agreed. I don't remember, but is this the first season that they didn't show the rehearsal footage before they perform?

As for the comparison between Sonya's work with Jakob/Ellenore and her work for Courtney/Mark; the Garden routine is still at the top of my list of Sonya's best work. So far, here's my top 5 list:
    1. "The Garden" Jazz (Courtney/Mark)
    2. "These Arms of Mine" Contemporary (Chelsie/Gev)
    3. "Time Flies" Lyrical Jazz (Jakob/Ashleigh)
    4. "Tore My Heart" Contemporary (Ellenore/Jakob)
    5. "Eyes On Fire" Contemporary (Kayla/Kupono)

Quote Originally Posted by kiariclois;3761686;
    Ellenore was just "meh" for me. I still hate her lines... Maybe it's her not-so-pretty legs. lol.
    Huh? Ellenore has amazing legs...

+ Reply to Thread