+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 11/3 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 11/3 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

It's no secret I'm not a fan of Legacy, but I'll admit.....he's doing much better than I thought he would and I actually enjoy watching him dance. Can't believe I'm starting to like him....
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3743035;
    ... Its hard to paint a full picture on the floor in 30 seconds with tap, even though its a style that is just as beautiful and entertaining as contemporary, etc..

... My best guess is that you could train a fairly athletic person for one year to do each dance (Noelles and Biancas) and they couldnt come close to the intricacy and rhythm that Bianca achieved.
    I agree. I thought Bianca's skill level in her style was much higher than Noelle's. Do you think they are feeling sorry for Noelle because of the injury?

And as for tappers in general - I think they do well in the solos (assuming they are good) because they are fresh and different. The ballroom folks are the ones that are really handicapped in the solos. But the tappers, like hip-hop, can really go to town and show us their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gracie727;3743083;
    Is it just me? Everytime I watch Karen and Jakob dance, I have a hard time seeing their partners. They both seem like **stars**.
    Imagine them dancing together in the top ten!

Philip is a great tapper, but he probably is the weakest of the guys in terms of versatility. However, that samba did him no favors. Why three lifts? Didn't the choreographers see how hard it was? His partner really was a beautiful sack of potatoes which, added to Philip lack of expertise, just made things worse. I noticed the tango choreographers did modify that lift and drop in their routine, probably to make it safer. Why couldn't the samba choreographers do the same? Oh well, Philip wouldn't have stayed anyway, but it is annoying when everything is set up so unfairly. The tango wasn't all that dance-wise. I think the one last season (cycle?) was way more intricate and powerful. Ryan didn't do much more than being there (wonderfully) for his partner, but the man is just sex on two legs. I hope he doesn't start to overdo it.

If it had been up to the audience Bianca probably would have stayed it. People identify with her commitment and her joy of doing this. Too bad she wasn't a beautiful sack of potatoes.

I believe Bianca should've stayed. It was heartbreaking to see her go after all her hard work and dedication and her genuine likeability. Bianca was robbed!!!!

On another note, wonder if the producers paired Legacy and Kathryn because they both cry so much? LOL! I was prepared to hate them from the start, but I really liked them last week and this week too.

The Bollywood number was disappointing. Katee and Joshua's was so samazing and even last year's was better than this one. It just seemed a little too slow.

FORT Fan

I just watched this morning, and haven't read the comments yet, but here are my thoughts:

at Bianca going. She was a favorite of mine, and she looked devastated. I thought Noelle should have gone. I have to admit, though, that I wasn't very impressed with Bianca's solo. Phillip's tap choreography was much more interesting. Of course, he never stood a chance against Victor.

Bianca and Victor had the worst dance of the night, but I blame Tyce, not them. A contemporary about Southern-style worship could have been very powerful, and I didn't think it was the dancers that were lacking. The whole dance seemed very disorganized and meaningless to me.

Russell and Noelle weren't great, but I felt they were better than the judges gave them credit for.

For me, there were A LOT of good dances last night. Karen/Kevin and Legacy/Kathryn both did great, and I'm not even a particular fan of any of them. Ashleigh and Jakob were really good. I didn't like Ashleigh during auditions, but I'm growing more and more impressed with her. I don't know how she ended up with Jakob for a partner, but I have no doubt that the judges would have axed her in the last 2 weeks without a second thought if they were afraid she was holding him back. Clearly they didn't.

I know Mollee doesn't have a lot of fans here, but I've liked her from the beginning because of her perkiness and infectious smile. And I loved the Bollywood routine tonight. I thought she and Nathan were both great, and she showed she can be more serious and mature when necessary.

Not a great fan of the tango or the dancers, but I have to admit that Ryan and Ellinore were great as well.

Seems like it's shaping up to be a very good season!

Quote Originally Posted by busilis32;3743187;
    Philip is a great tapper, but he probably is the weakest of the guys in terms of versatility. However, that samba did him no favors. Why three lifts? Didn't the choreographers see how hard it was? His partner really was a beautiful sack of potatoes which, added to Philip lack of expertise, just made things worse. I noticed the tango choreographers did modify that lift and drop in their routine, probably to make it safer. Why couldn't the samba choreographers do the same? Oh well, Philip wouldn't have stayed anyway, but it is annoying when everything is set up so unfairly. The tango wasn't all that dance-wise. I think the one last season (cycle?) was way more intricate and powerful. Ryan didn't do much more than being there (wonderfully) for his partner, but the man is just sex on two legs. I hope he doesn't start to overdo it.

If it had been up to the audience Bianca probably would have stayed it. People identify with her commitment and her joy of doing this. Too bad she wasn't a beautiful sack of potatoes.
    I have to agree as well, I think Bianca should have stayed. Phillip was the least versatile of the boys and was rightfully the right one to send home; but I enjoy watching Bianca's dancing, energy, and spirit. Noelle is "another" contemporary dancer we have seen a million of them...

Legacy surprised me, I enjoyed watching him this evening (can't believe I am actually admitting this).

Ashley is improving (surprisingly) but there is something I just don't like about her...maybe it is her constant smile (same face) throughout every performance...

Nathan & Mollie have more energy than two wound tops!..I love watching them their partnership is already growing, it will be interesting to see what happens when they get a "ballroom" number with a slower tempo...

Overall I am enjoying the dancers this season, I think there is a variety of styles, personalities, and ages. It will shape up to be most interesting once America starts voting!

I'm kind of surprised they got rid of two tappers. I had predicted that they wouldn't because I thought Nigel would want them for the tour so he can keep harping on about "history" being made.

So instead we are once again left with an over abundance of contemporary.

Oh....hum.

Please please audience vote them off quickly and keep the different ones around for a long time so this season doesn't disintegrate into a boring pot of same grayness like it has every other season when it was too heavy with contemporary.

FORT Fogey

I WISH we got to vote in the bottom 3 couples so it wasn't just up to the judges to keep their contemp favs!

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebella;3742927;
    Someone help me out--why would the Wade Robson dance be controversial? Am I missing something?
    I honestly have no idea why the Wade Robson number might be considered controversial - maybe just cuz it was different?? The only thing I thought was "controversial" about it was the terrible idea of pairing those costumes with the VanGogh painting in the background. I agree with the PP who said they blended in too much with the backdrop. I am really disliking the electronic background changes in general. I think they detract from many of the performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebella;3742927;
    And what was that gesture Pete did that Nigel didn't like? Help an old lady out here!
    Nigel made a remark that Pete's shoulders were tight and it was probably because he worked out. In response Pete did a really tacky/cheesy move where he licked his fingers and smoothed down his eyebrows with a kind of "come hither" look in his eye. If any woman in her right mind ran across a guy who tried to look cool with that move, she would burst out laughing. I thought it was kind of funny because in the intro Pauline was saying the worst thing about him was that Pete thinks he is a ladies man and believes that all the women in a room are drawn to him - but really they aren't. That move was a classic example of a guy who thinks he's hot...but really he's not so much...

ETA: I am also really annoyed about the judges having all the power in these early eliminations. I think Bianca shoudl have stayed longer. She is talented and has a great personality - I think she could have been a fan fav if we had the chance to vote for her!! She did a better job than her partner in that number, and I agree that Tyce should have done a better job with the choreography. And speaking of poor choreography, I was annoyed that they were slamming Philip for the awkward lifts with Channing. She is in great shape, but she is certainly not a petite girl. The judges like to applaud the choreographers for working with the dancers' strengths, but in this case they could easily have altered or eliminated those awkward lifts to work with Philip and Channing's strengths, but clearly did not. I certainly don't think they should "dumb down" the routines, but maybe they could have focused on getting one really good lift in instead of trying to cram in three bad ones.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 11-04-2009 at 03:25 PM.

I haven't been able to hang around the boards as much this season as I normally do, so I really had no idea who everyone's faves have been this season. I guess my tastes must be drastically different than alot of you.

First, my thoughts on last night -
    My favorites of the night were (in no particular order) Mollee and Nathan, Ashleigh and Jakob and Ryan and Ellenore. I see the Mollee's not getting much love here, but I completely adore her. I already see so much growth in her, and I want to see her continue.

I liked Kathryn and Legacy last night, and truthfully, I liked their routine last week, too, but I just can't get past the fact that I can't stand Legacy. His drama seems so contrived to me, it just doesn't seem like it's coming from a genuine place. When he said last night that he didn't mind when Kathryn cried because it meant he could cry too, all I could do was roll my eyes.

The other standout performance for me was Karen and Kevin, but I can't put them in my top because I feel like they're just not well matched. I feel bad for Kevin because she really does stand out and makes him look like a back up dancer rather than a partner. The two of them need to find some happy medium. I know that Karen just has this "it factor" thing going on, but in order for the partnership to be successful, both partners need to be more even. I'd much rather see them with different partners.

Now, my thoughts on the elimination -
    I see alot of people saying that they felt Noelle's solo was a lot of flailing. I couldn't disagree more. I saw some wonderful technique, amazing extension, a full use of the stage, a variety of levels and interesting choreography. She also danced with a great deal of passion. When Nigel said that she truly danced for her life, I was nodding in agreement.

I was fine with Bianca going home. Her solo was good, but I thought Noelle's was better. Maybe I don't "get" tap, but I kept trying to figure out how Bianca's footwork was supposed to be interpreting the music. Both weeks, so far, I was thinking the same thing during the opening sequence of the show when they each step out for their introduction. I always feel like she's just trying to dazzle with her brilliant footwork rather than interpret or dance with the music. I've also been rubbed wrong by her personality several times, starting with her temper tantrum (last season??) when she pouted about not coming back, and she's not a person who will keep coming back just to be told no again. So, all in all, yes, she's a good dancer and yay for 3 tappers in one season, but I'm not that sad to see her go.

For the guys, I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone here. Phillip was the right choice. I was REALLY shocked to see them cut Phillip after they already cut Bianca because I was sure they wouldn't cut two tappers in the same week, but kudos to the judges for making the right choice there. Victor really lost the character in his duet with Bianca, he had no frame of reference for the style, but his solo was fantastic. I'm glad he stayed.

- Judges eliminating contestants
    I like it. I know that's not a popular opinion, but I think it's great! I like that weaker dancers are not able to save themselves with winning personalities, and dancers who were not featured as much during the audition process are getting a couple of weeks to shine before America starts picking the bottom 3. Bianca is a perfect example. She was featured so heavily in the audition process that America would have easily kept her safe from the bottom 3, regardless of what the judges said, all the way to the top 10. She really showed last week and this week that she's just not as versitile as they originally thought, and that's why she's gone.

The audition process helps to determine who has the potential to succeed on the show, but until they get into the studio for a week of the same choreography, you don't really get to see who has the capacity for growth and who's just not going to get much better. I feel like this format allows the judges to weed out the weak and leave a strong top 16 for America to vote on.

+ Reply to Thread