+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Russell Ferguson - Season 6

Re: Russell Ferguson - Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3736327;
    Actually, I've read (and posted here) that the confusion was explained because when he was initially asked he responded in the positive because he had taken some classes in those styles and considered that training. Then he goes to Vegas week and sees people who are truly trained in those styles and when he is asked again he says that no, he has no training because he was comparing himself to those dancing around him.

I don't think he's made a secret or the show has of his taking a couple of classes in the other styles, he went to an Art School, I don't think it was extensive training and I can see why he would consider himself not trained in those styles when compared to the others who are.

It would be like saying if one of the contemporary dancers took one or two classes in Hip Hop, they are now trained in it. Not quite.

I really hope this isn't used against him somehow and he winds up getting an early boot because people/voters think he and the show are lying and hiding some sort of extensive training.
    This isn't a contest to find the favorite "untrained" dancer, so I don't know why people would hold it against him. It's clear that he's had more training than some b-boy who is self-taught and hasn't had exposure to other styles. It's also clear that he isn't expert level in the other styles. When I heard he had gone to a performing arts school, I just assumed he probably had a significant amount of all-around dance training. That would stand to reason unless he was there with a focus on visual arts or music. There's nothing wrong with that. One of the hip-hop guys said in his audition that he had gone to get training in other styles after not making it last year. It's expected that someone who wants to make it on this show would have at least taken some classes in all styles.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Fogey

I posted this in last night's discussion, but I'll leave the essential information in this thread as well since this is where people will likely be looking for it.

Russell went to high school at Boston's "Fame" school - Boston Arts Academy. He did an extensive dance program there for four years. The Boston Public Schools blog posted a bit on Russell's background when he started on SYTYCD. They are very proud of him making it into the competition.

So, while Russell hasn't had private dance classes like most of the others, he probably has the best breadth to training of any of them, since he has gone through a four year dance curriculum.

FORT Fanatic

I thought he smashed the Cheeseman Afro-Jazz, but for me, I've seen better Afro Jazz numbers from Sean...I love his slower more melodic and rhythmic ones... this one felt a little manic.

But, If this kid Russell can do that piece like that, he's definitely a front runner, no question about it. It takes a very special soul to do Afro Jazz well.

I have liked Russell from Day 1! He really was super tonight. That hip hop was just crazy good. Loved the Bollywood too. He did get a good partner with the Bollywood. I would have thought Shane's assistant would have been better.

Go RUSSELL!

FORT Newbie

I sooo agree with you about Russell in the Bollywood dance... he was fantastic. His personality has really come across since day 1.

He was fantastic this week. I'm so happy to see Russell in the finale!

FORT Regular

I didnt like the hiphop routine at all,lol
    but the bollywood was great

I liked him from the mment I saw him.
    I'm so pleased he won.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3771220;
    I liked him from the mment I saw him.
    I'm so pleased he won.
    Me, too!

I was so disappointed that we didn't get to see him and Ashleigh do their bollywood routine. I wanted to see that so bad!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123