+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SYTYCD and Music

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

SYTYCD and Music

I've been surprised at the kind of music I've been introduced to and come to like as a result of this show.

New songs that have brought a new artist into my collection (Roisin Murphy - most notably for the Ramalama Bang Bang group number from season 2, but also Night of the Dancing Flame from Neil & Lauren's jazz number, season 3, and Ruby Blue/thieves number by Jeanette & Brandon).

Songs I might have heard, said "meh" but now love with the visual of the routine to go with it (Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis from Mark/Chelsea's Hip Hop on season 4 most notably).

Songs that are absolute favorites just based on hearing them on the show (The Moment I Said It by Imogen heap from the season 3 group routine, Dancing by Elisa from the season 3 Lacey/Kameron contemporary)

Even some of the Latin numbers have given me a totally new direction to explore (Club Des Belugas : Hip Hip Chin Chin from the Lacey/Danny Samba).

How has the music of SYTYCD affected you? Favorite combinations of music/routine? New styles/artists you either didn't know existed or didn't appreciate the way you do now? Songs you now listen to regularly that you didn't before SYTYCD... etc.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: SYTYCD and Music

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3712170;
    I've been surprised at the kind of music I've been introduced to and come to like as a result of this show.

New songs that have brought a new artist into my collection (Roisin Murphy - most notably for the Ramalama Bang Bang group number from season 2, but also Night of the Dancing Flame from Neil & Lauren's jazz number, season 3, and Ruby Blue/thieves number by Jeanette & Brandon).

Songs I might have heard, said "meh" but now love with the visual of the routine to go with it (Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis from Mark/Chelsea's Hip Hop on season 4 most notably).

Songs that are absolute favorites just based on hearing them on the show (The Moment I Said It by Imogen heap from the season 3 group routine, Dancing by Elisa from the season 3 Lacey/Kameron contemporary)

Even some of the Latin numbers have given me a totally new direction to explore (Club Des Belugas : Hip Hip Chin Chin from the Lacey/Danny Samba).

How has the music of SYTYCD affected you? Favorite combinations of music/routine? New styles/artists you either didn't know existed or didn't appreciate the way you do now? Songs you now listen to regularly that you didn't before SYTYCD... etc.

I had responded to another post of yours concerning “Bleeding Love,” in which I agreed whole-heartedly. I ended up liking the song a lot more because of the dance.

Recently I was at a store and I heard “Mercy,” which Katee and Twitch danced to with that door. Prior to that day, the only other times I’d heard the song was when I saw them dance. But I do like the song, and it brought a smile to my face to hear it.

Also wanted to thank you for reminding me about “Night of the Dancing Flame.” That is one of my favorite dances from the show.

In summation, I definitely agree with you about the effect the dances have on songs. I would love to know if the artists see much of a bump in their songs’ popularity due to it. You’d think so, but it probably depends on how many people are buying the songs because of it.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Here's one that's not so flattering. The Soup showed the audition by the 46 year old guy with the light blue turtleneck. I think he used to be an ice skater. Regardless, he was rather humorous, much to his chagrin. He "danced" to "Rule the World" by Coldplay. I can't say that I'll always think of him when I hear that song, but now that I've seen it twice, I just might! And it doesn't help endear that song to me.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

OMG - yes! Now I see him acting out that song and I just roll my eyes.

Long story, but that song already causes a laugh between my husband and me for unrelated, but equally silly reasons. Now it's even funnier.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I definitely agree that there have been songs on this show that I saw in a new light after seeing the dance routine... I just can't think of the names of any of them right now!!! Definitely Bleeding Love (Chelsea was awesome in that routime), but I know there have been more.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3712743;
    {snip}.
    Recently I was at a store and I heard “Mercy,” which Katee and Twitch danced to with that door. {snip}
    I just heard that on the radio yesterday while driving home from work... always brings a smile to my face and I can picture them dancing to it

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Last season Jeanine and a partner I can't remember danced to Battlefield by Jordin Sparks... really liked that one and hadn't heard the song prior.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I too loved Danny & Lacey's Samba to "Hip Hip Chin Chin" as well as Mark and Chelsea's routine to "Bleeding Love".

Speaking of Danny, I totally loved his and Anya's Contemporary to "Apologize" by One Republic and loved Mark and Courtney's Jazz to "The Garden" by Mirah.

All 4 of those songs were new to me at the time of hearing them on the show.

FORT Newbie

For me it was the Gavin Degraw song that Mia choreographed the Vegas round to--- great song. Belief-- stripped. Also Mercy. And the song from Tyce's choreography for Ade and Melissa.

Bleeding Love became a favorite for me after the Mark/Chelsie number, and I have learned to appreciate music styles I previously never listened to as a result of the show. I can't hear John Mayer's Waiting for the World to Change without seeing the dance that all the contestants had to do--was it Sabra's season?

It's amazing how much the dancing adds to my appreciation of the music.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast