+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SYTYCD and Music

Re: SYTYCD and Music

I'm different. The music makes me appreciate the dance moreso than the dance makes me appreciate the music. There are times that I come to enjoy a song more after watching someone dance to it, but more often, I find that a good song can take a so-so dance to an all-new level.

Take Mollee Gray's audition, from the first episode this season. Her audition has been my favorite so far, but without her song, I don't know if I would have felt the same way. Her dancing was definitely good, but it was just another contemporary dance. But with the music ("Against All Odds" by Postal Service), it made me love it.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I asked this on the 10/6 Thread, but if anyone knows what song was used for Pascal N's audition, please let me know. He's the guy who shook a lot and tore his shirt off on Tuesday's show. I'd like to include that song on my mp3 player. Thanks!

Premium Member

Pascal N danced to Weight Of The World- Dave Tweedie & Stephen Bradley (you can find all songs used on Fox's SYTYCD site)

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3721086;
    Pascal N danced to Weight Of The World- Dave Tweedie & Stephen Bradley (you can find all songs used on Fox's SYTYCD site)
    Thank you!

+I'd never heard Mirah's The Garden before Mark and Cortney danced to Sonia's piece a couple of seasons ago. I fell in love with the song after hearing it that one time and frankly, I think the song made that dance. It just wouldn't have worked with any other song.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3724000;
    +I'd never heard Mirah's The Garden before Mark and Cortney danced to Sonia's piece a couple of seasons ago. I fell in love with the song after hearing it that one time and frankly, I think the song made that dance. It just wouldn't have worked with any other song.
    I had the same reaction to that song and the dance.
    I bought the song because I liked it so much, and listening to it reminds me of the dance every time.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

FORT Fogey

I too really appreciate the music from this show! I never listen to the radio or pay attention to songs (other than AI), but some of the interaction between the movement and dances with the lyrics, music, etc. really make me pay attention. I still wouldn't know the name of the song or who sings it, but I recognize it when I hear it again.

The show SHOULD feature the artists from the Music for the favorites as much as the choreography, because, as someone said, the music MAKES the dance, and without it even with great choreography, it would not work!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3717446;
    I'm different. The music makes me appreciate the dance moreso than the dance makes me appreciate the music. There are times that I come to enjoy a song more after watching someone dance to it, but more often, I find that a good song can take a so-so dance to an all-new level.
    I agree. I don't have many examples, as I've only been watching for a season. But the music to Janette and Brandon's robber dance was perfect. And Tyce couldn't have chosen a better song for his breast cancer dance. Old people like me may remember "This Woman's Work" from an otherwise unmemorable movie (probably from the 80's?) called "She's Having a Baby". As soon as I heard that song start to play I was moved. And now whenever I hear the song I'll think of Ade and Melissa dancing.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

"This Woman's Work" is originally a Kate Bush song.

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH a HUGE Kate Bush fan. Initially, I thought it would have been better to use her version.

However, in keeping with the theme of the dance in which it was used, I think it was actually more appropriate using a version sung by a man. It changed the direction to a man singing about the difficult time his woman is having and how she needs his support.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I have to say that Chelsea and Mark's dance to "Bleeding Love" totally changed my attitude toward that song, and Pasha & Sarah's West Coast Swing routine to "Rockafella Skank" made me love that song and I'd never heard it before.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12