+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam Shankman - Judge

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Adam Shankman - Judge

Sorry if I missed a post on this somewhere else, I looked, but didn't find anything.

I think this is great. I really enjoy him on the show, much more than Mary Murphy's screaming.

Adam Shankman Made Permanent Judge on So You Think You Can Dance - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

ADAM SHANKMAN - Judge

Adam Shankman is a master of comedy, yet is still able to capture the sensitivity of each story, making him one of the most loved and commercially successful filmmakers of his generation.

Shankman's most recent film, "Bedtime Stories," opened on Christmas Day 2008. The family comedy, starring Adam Sandler and Keri Russell, has grossed over $173 million worldwide. Shankman also produced "17 Again"Â through his Offspring Entertainment banner. The film, directed by Burr Steers, opened in April 2009, and starred Zac Efron. The film has since grossed over $117 million worldwide. Shankman also recently directed the hit viral video "Prop 8: The Musical" for FunnyorDie.com, which has been honored by GLAAD. The video has been viewed over 4 million times.

Shankman's "Hairspray," the feature film adaptation of the Tony award-winning Broadway production, opened in July 2007 to rave reviews. It has gone on to gross over $200 million worldwide, and has become the third highest grossing musical of all time. The film assembled a remarkable collection of talent to retell John Waters' classic story about racism in 1960's Baltimore.

Shankman is set to direct a number of new projects though his and sister and business partner Jennifer Gibgot's Offspring Entertainment, including a new version of the classic tale "Sinbad" for Sony and a revamp of the popular musical "Bye Bye Birdie" for Columbia as well as "Bob: The Musical" through Offspring for Disney.

Shankman began crafting an enviable career with his directorial debut, Columbia Pictures' "The Wedding Planner." The Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McConaughey film was the heart-felt hit of 2001. Shankman's following grew with his next film "A Walk to Remember," distributed by Warner Bros., starring Mandy Moore and Shane West.

Shankman followed this up with "Bringing Down the House," a Walt Disney comedy starring Steve Martin and Queen Latifah, which was number one at the box office for three weeks in a row, grossing over $130 million. Shankman followed that up by directing another Disney film, "The Pacifier "starring Vin Diesel. In addition, Shankman directed the box office success, "Cheaper by the Dozen 2," the sequel to the 2003 20th Century Fox smash hit family film. To date, Shankman's films have grossed over one billion dollars.

Through Offspring's overall deal with Disney, Shankman and his sister, Gibgot, produced "Step Up," "Step Up 2" and the Sandra Bullock film, "Premonition," for Sony. "Step Up," directed by his co-choreographer Anne Fletcher, garnered critical acclaim and grossed over $114 million worldwide at the box office, and its sequel, directed by Jon Chu, "Step Up 2: The Streets," grossed over $148 million worldwide. Shankman is also producing the third film in the series, STEP UP 3-D, which is currently in production, with John Chu directing. The company will also produce "Going The Distance," a new romantic comedy starring Drew Barrymore and Justin Long, for New Line, as well as "The Last Song," a Nicholas Sparks-script film set to star Miley Cyrus for Disney.

Prior to directing, Shankman was one of the entertainment world's premiere dance and physical comedy choreographers, putting his creative stamp on many well-known comedies, dramas, thrillers, and animated films. His projects include "The Addams Family," "Casper," "Inspector Gadget," "Anastasia," "George of the Jungle," "Boogie Nights," "Miami Rhapsody," and "The Flintstones" for which he was nominated for a Bob Fosse Award. Shankman won the Bob Fosse award for his work with Simon West.

Shankman teamed up with influential video director Julian Temple as a music video choreographer. One of the first videos as choreographer was Whitney Houston's "I'm Your Baby Tonight."Â He has also choreographed videos for The B-52's, Barry White, Aaron Neville, Chic and Stevie Wonder.

A native of Los Angeles, Shankman developed a love for the theater at an early age. After high school, he moved to New York and attended the Juilliard School. After five years as an actor and dancer in New York and regional theater, he moved back to Los Angeles and began dancing in music videos, including videos for Paula Abdul and Janet Jackson. He also performed at the 1989 Academy Awards.
    Last edited by paridy; 10-24-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: adding Adam Shankman Bio

Re: Adam Shankman Made Permanent Judge on So You Think You Can Dance

I'm pleased about this, I like his personality and enjoy his comments.

They regularly have four judges on the Canadian version of the show and make it work.
    Of course the Canadian version of Idol has always had four judges and that set up has always worked too, while (imo) the US version didn't.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I love him. This is great.

I posted it about an hour or so ago in the spoilers thread, but I didn't think of making a new thread about it. I also think its a great move for the show.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I really like him. But I hope it won't be a case of suffering too much from a good thing. We all loved Mary's screams when she was a guest judge, but now many of us are sick of her.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I am excited about this I enjoy Adam's presence and comments whenever he's on.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Yay! I always got a little burst of joy when I saw that Adam was the guest judge - his commentary is insightful and he geniunely seems to want the contestants to be successful and do well. I'll be happy to see him every episode. He doesn't have any annoying schticks so I don't see getting tired of him. YAY!

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I'm loving this decision. Adam is such a ray of sunshine on the show. I loved it every time he was a guest judge. To see him every week is going to be amazing!
    Way to go Nigel! Great decision (I guess the people at SYTYCD are 100 times smarter than the people at AI).

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I think if Adam wasn't so busy with a bazillion other projects, he would've been a permanent judge quite a while ago. He loves this show and is very dedicated to it

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

So I'm confused. The article states that there is an extra chair that will be filled by guest judges. So that means there will be FIVE judges? But then he (Nigel) goes on to say that he doesn't think that the 4 judge format works because it steals time from the talent (paraphrased). So there won't be four judges all at once? Are they going to rotate these permanent judges and then have guest judges with them?

The thought of 5 judges, just no. I don't even like the thought of 4 judges at the same time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast