+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SYTYCD 5 8/7 Finale: America Has Spoken!

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

SYTYCD 5 8/7 Finale: America Has Spoken!

Hello dear readers! Tis I, iguanachocolate, here to bring you the lasted terpsichorean triumphs. Yes, tonight all the dancing for their lives comes to an end when the winner is finally revealed. Taking place tonight at the immense Kodak Theater, by the end of the night two important questions will have been answered: Will Mia’s ego be able to fit inside the theater? And who is America’s favorite dancer?

But, before we get to the extravaganza, there is some business to get to – yes, indeed, I have received yet another missive from Emmy Award Winning Choreographer Mia Michael:

You know, I wonder if I can get some kind of restraining order? Well, at least Nigel seems to have my back:

Let’s take a take a stroll down my favorite lane - The Cat Walk! Once again for our dear hostess, she’s had a hit and a miss. I really think that her costumers are jealous of her ethereal beauty and strive as often as they can to dress her in potato sacks disguised with sprinkles. Hah, the jokes on then, Cat could wear threads of potato sacks and still look better than anyone else. Hmmmm, come to think of it, I’d love to see Cat wearing just threads….. what? Oh, yeah. Ok.

Glittering trash bag vrs Grecian Goddess:

Love the earrings, love the hair, love to rip it off her…

The opening number is a reprise of the Brand New Day (from the Wiz) group number with the entire Top 20.

I love this number and I love the fact that it has Melissa dancing en pointe and it had our final four dancing out front and center. Cat comes out looking like the Grecian goddess that she is and she tells us that a record setting record 21.6 million votes were cast. Because tonight is so important, there are seven judges sitting on panel: Lil C, Mia Michaels, Tyce Diorio, Debbie Allen, Adam Shankman, Mary Murphy, and Nigel Lythgoe. The other choreographers are slumming it in the audience.

Ah, the ubiquitous retrospective. I knew there would be one and I have been preparing myself, but for the love of the gods, people, just when I thought it was safe to have sex again without the nightmares, he’s back. Sorry, honey, it’s going to be a while again... Also highlighted, as we knew it would be, Mia’s dramatic self-serving dressing down of Brandon. I loved seeing her eat crow all this season and now her ‘disappointment’ is in the final four. Take that Ms. Emmy Award winner! We also get to relive the final decision on the brothers – the one that sent Evan into the top 20 and his brother into oblivion. Well, at least until Season 6 since we already know he has made it to Vegas week.

As in past shows, the judges will be sharing their favorites of the dances this year and we will get to see them all again. I am sure my favorites will be showcased, here’s hoping yours are too!

First up is Adam Shankman and he chooses the very first routine of the season, the hip hop number choreographed by Tabitha and Napoleon and danced to “Mad” by Ne-Yo by Jeanine and Phillip. Nigel picked the Argentinean Tango performed by Brandon and Janette to the music from Forever Tango – “Libertango” Debbie Allen wants to see Asuka and Vitolio dance their waltz to Enya’s “Dreams Are More Precious” and they happily oblige.

Jeanine is back with Jason at Mary’s request to dance their amazing contemporary piece choreographed by alum Travis Wall to “If It Kills Me (The Casa Nova Sessions}” by Jason Mraz. An Emmy deserving piece if I ever saw one. Do you hear me nominating committee? Mia Michaels picks Kayla and Max’s (Max! Miss you!) samba to “Jum Bah Day” by House of Gypsies. A hot hot hot dance from the first week.

Ah, time to pimp someone’s pet project: The final four get a surprise trip in a limo to go see the new Fame movie coming out starring last year’s participant, Kherington Payne, Debbie Allen, and Kelsey Grammer.

Pimping over, Debbie wants to see the Top 16 perform “I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) by Pitbull and choreographed by Dmitry Chaplin, Tabatha and Napoleon. Talk about a hot mess in a good way! Nice fusion of styles.

I have to say it, this may be the Kodak Theater, but they still have the same crappy camera work on the group numbers. Can’t have everything, I guess.

We get a treat next, Talia Fowler, the ballerina who won So You Think You Can Dance Australia, dances a Sonya Teyah jazz routine to “Shot You down” by Audio Bullys. It was a ‘wow’ routine. Wish they would showcase more of the world wide SYTYCD dancers.

Lil C talks in his own language as usual, but picks Caitlin and Jason’s Bollywood routine to “Jai Ho” from Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack. Oh yeah baby, Bollywood. Gotta love it!

Finally, after an hour’s worth of show, we get some results. With little fanfare, Cat announces that it is Kayla who is in fourth place. We see her retrospective, hear her praises and she is gone with a huge bunch of flowers.

Next, we knew it was coming: Mr. Adam Shankman picks one of my favorite routines of the year, Mia Michaels’ Butt Dance. Danced by Evan and Randi to “Koop Island Blues” by Koop feat. Ane Brune. The Butts still have it, I am happy to say.

Louis van Amstel’s brilliant Paso Doble that Jeanine and Brandon danced last night is Mary’s next pick for a favorite. It was brilliant last night, it was brilliant tonight. Of course, the music, Tetsujin: from The Matrix Revolutions soundtrack helps it tremendously.

More results and it is Evan who takes third place. We see Evan’s retrospective and I am sad. I knew it was a long shot that he would win, but he was a sentimental favorite of mine. Reminded me of watching Fred Astaire late night Saturday nights when I was younger. Now I watch them on my dvr anytime, since I have entered the 21st century finally.

Nigel’s favorite moment was when Mary admitted to using Botox. Oh, he is witty. But actually, yes, that was a pretty funny moment. He gets serious and picks Mia’s Addiction routine danced by Kayla and Kupono to Sara Bareilles’ “Gravity”. Say what you want about Kupono, such as the boy can’t dance a solo to save his life, but he was amazing in this routine. That last look from him was chilling.

Rage Boyz Crew don’t seem to be so much as raging as they are flipping and hip hopping to “Feel It” by Colby O’Donis & Maili-b. The flying child was at a much lower altitude this time. Bummer. How adorable was it when Cat asks if they will let her in their crew! Cat – you can be in my crew, anytime. Call me…

Tyce Diorio picks the Disco routine from Doriana Sanchez danced by Brandon and Janette. Still fast, still wild, they dazzle with disco dancing to “Loving is Really My Game” by Brainstorm. Mia was moved by the Cancer dance and before Melissa and Ade come out to dance it again to “This Woman’s Work” by Maxwell, Tyce lets us know that the friend he dedicated the routine to found out today that she is cancer free! A magnificent feeling, I can tell you.

Finally, the Top 8 dancers in Mia Michaels “One” from A Chorus Line and they have special guest stars - the judges! Performing the final chorus line. They were hammy, but cute.

We see retrospectives for both Jeanine and Brandon before Cat tells us who America’s Favorite Dancer is:

Jeanine. Good choice, America.

And that is all, folks. Season 5 of So You Think You Can Dance is over.
    Join me September 9th when we can start all over and pick America’s Favorite Dancer again. We Americans are so fickle, aren’t we? See you then!
    Last edited by iguanachocolate; 08-08-2009 at 09:50 PM.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

FORT Newbie

Re: SYTYCD 5 8/7 Finale: America Has Spoken!

iguanachocolate, thank you (and Critical) for all the nice and funny recaps from this season.
    Looking forward to season six and the recaps ;-)

Whatever will you do until Season 6 begiins??

Looking forward to the witty and entertaining work you and your compadres produce.

Loved reading all about it again--- THANK YOU !!!!!

+ Reply to Thread