+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So You Think You Can Put Seasons on Back to Back?

So You Think You Can Put Seasons on Back to Back?

Hell's Kitchen did this too (Season 5 = Winter 2008/Spring 2009; Season 6 = Summer 2009/Fall 2009). But Hell's Kitchen isn't mostly done LIVE.

So I'm wondering what the possible ramifications and issues are with back to back seasons of SYTYCD. Will the public get tired of the show? Is it unfair in some way to the Winner of Season 5 that her "reign" as champion is a month long instead of most of a year (and that she'll no doubt have to be on tour while Season 6 airs)? Are there intangible things she loses out on? Are there other issues which have to be considered with back to back seasons of this show? Will poor Cat ever see England AGAIN??????????

I also wonder if this means that SYTYCD has to lock up Paula Abdul, pronto, since they seem to intend on getting her.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Re: So You Think You Can Put Seasons on Back to Back?

I think it's a bit unfair to Jeanine because she won't get to do the special appearances in the audience like the past winners have done because she'll be on tour.

While I'm excited as a fan that I get to see more dancing and the spoilers as to who made the hollywood round are AWESOME! and I can't wait to see them in action! But I do feel that she got cheated a bit out of enjoying her win.

One issue is that the judges and choreographers are tired and I think we won't see as many outstanding routines as we have in the past. Think how many times a choreographer who has two routines in one show can only manage to put one good one out and the other one tanks. I think this same thing will happen with the seasons being so close to each other.

FORT Fogey

I think we've been living with the ramifications for the whole fifth season. When they weren't on our screens Nigel and the judges have been flying all over the place holding auditions. No rest for the wicked now! Dancers are arriving in Vegas today and Vegas week starts tomorrow. DizzyFeet foundation is planning events. The 5th Season dancers get about two weeks off before tour rehearsals start. Nigel has been seriously overworked and I think that contributed to the Katie Holmes / Twitter meltdown.

And, yeah, Jeanine has her "reign" as America's Favorite Dancer™ cut short, but I'm sure the prize money will help soften the blow.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3646387;
    And, yeah, Jeanine has her "reign" as America's Favorite Dancer™ cut short, but I'm sure the prize money will help soften the blow.
    That made me smile hehhee

See I'm thinking about the fame and you cut right to the chase. Money. Yep, should make it all better.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I'll take everything I can get.

I have been re-watching seasons 1 and 2 over the past few weeks. And will keep re-watching the past seasons until I run out of past seasons.

But I've always been a dance fanatic. So I don't tire of it easily.

I don't think it will impact it at all. All I know is that I don't have to wait until next summer this time, and that makes me all happy inside.

I honestly believe the impact was felt more during this summer's run more than anything else.

FORT Fogey

I agree that it will cut into Jeanine's reign, but I suspect they will fly her back for an appearance or two, or even she and Brandon to reprise their Paso as the f1 and f2. Did they give Brandon $ like they did Katee? I didn't hear it...

I agree that the choreographers is where it may slip being in the fall - do they have other commitments elsewhere? do they have the creative juices? Do they create a routine first then adjust to the pair, or create the routine based on the pair?

I think FOX gets the huge benefit, as their previous fall season viewership was pretty much a dud until Idol started, now they have powerhouses in fall, spring and summer to build around. Did they not get the baseball playoffs this year? (snore)

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

New, fresh choreographers. That's all it'll take, IMO.

And maybe bring back some that are consistently interesting or haven't been around in a while. Mia's always great. I kinda miss Shane Spark's more hard-hitting routines over Tabitha & Napoleon, who lost me with the "pregnant" routine. I liked the new stuff from Laurianne. DEFINITELY more Travis.

Does a Fall season mean no more summer SYTYCD though??
    Reality TV Addict.
    Why can't my life be this interesting?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by EmmasMama;3647112;
    Does a Fall season mean no more summer SYTYCD though??
    That's my understanding. They are repositioning it as an autumn show to balance out AI in the spring. So they will need to come up with something else for the summer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast