+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SYTYCD 5 Results Recap 7/23: Celebration and the Victim of Hype

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

SYTYCD 5 Results Recap 7/23: Celebration and the Victim of Hype

Hello dear readers! Tis I, iguanachocolate, to bring you the latest in dance news. I am so anticipating this show, after all, why would Nigel have hyped it so much if it wasn’t going to be the most spectacular show ever in the history in dance shows? I mean, come on, it has Katie Holmes! I am not sure really what she is famous for other than marrying Tom Cruise and having his baby, but apparently she is some sort of dancing savant! Last night we were treated to a lot of mediocrity along with some real highlights. If you missed the show last night, or even if you did and just want a snarky take on it, be sure to read Critical’s most excellent recap, here.

But first, yet another freakin’ missive from that wacky pundit, Mia Michaels (anyone notice her dress on the performance show? I swear she pulled a Scarlet O’Hara and made her dress from the upholstery off the couch from a Motel 6!):

And of course, it’s not a results show without a look at the Cat Walk?

Two hits in my book. Love the shoes!

The group number on this auspicious night is to One, from a Chorus Line. It is a bit jerky, but I liked it. Cat lets us know that it was choreographed by Mia Michaels. Wow, Mia did a Broadway number? Guess she has enough Emmys and is going for a Tony. Not.

Cat, in her lovely shiny animal print dress talks to the judges about their involvement with the show all these years – Mia says she likes to see the former contestants all grown up and showing off their stuff as the camera pans a whole row or two of past contestants. I saw Comfort and a few others I recognized. Mary says the show means the world to her and she has witnessed some bad dancing along with some of the most brilliant dancing she’s ever experienced. Nigel sites Tyce’s routine from last night as an example of the country coming together to share a common experience. He name drops Olivia Newton-John (a breast cancer survivor, I believe) as calling him and telling him the routine meant more than words could ever say. He wants to use the show as a platform to showcase even more difficult subjects.

The show launches into a retrospective of this season and seasons' past auditions and performance shows. We see again the four winners from the past seasons – I only recognize Joshua from last year, which was the first season I began watching the show. Up next they show a recap of last night’s performances. Afterwards, the four girls remaining are out on stage to learn their fates. Melissa is quickly told she is safe and I am happy. Despite accusations that the cancer piece pulled at heart strings and was therefore inherently unfair, I believe it was a strongly choreographed and beautifully danced piece. Even though the back story they told was emotional, the piece would not have had the impact it did if it was danced badly. The choreography was risky and so much could have gone wrong, yet Melissa and Ade danced it exquisitely. Cat turns to Kayla who finds herself in the bottom two. Now, between Janette and Jeanine, it is Janette who finds herself in the bottom two for the first time this season.

The Emmy winning Season 3 Wade Robson choreographed hummingbird and butterfly routine is brought back for a well deserved spotlight. I had never seen the routine before and I am very much impressed. Danced by Hok and Jaime, it was a fascinating glimpse into a fantasy world that is only made possible through dance. Emmy worthy, indeed!

Back to the reason for the show this week, the guys are brought out onto the stage to hear their results. Cat tells us that either Jason or Ade is in the bottom two. I am thinking my prediction of Jason in the bottom two would come true and so it does. Now it is between Evan and Brandon and I am sure I was as shocked as anyone else when it was Evan who was declared safe and that Brandon was in the bottom two. It’s Brandon’s first time in the bottom two.

We see the bench routine by Mia performed again by Travis and Heidi. Another routine I have heard much about but have not seen, I really enjoyed it. Though I can only think of reason why Travis would walk away from Heidi and her sunflower at the end. Mmmm ‘k?

We see the bottom four dance their solos from last night again. They were good last night, they are good tonight, they just mean less tonight.

The Season two dancers plus Wade Robson come out to do Ramalama which I absolutely adored and was not surprised to hear it also won an Emmy. I am so happy that Wade is back doing choreography on this show, because he is really a dancing treat. It’s hard to think, as well as they danced last night, that this group has not been together for three years.

We hear a little more about Dizzy Feet, and I do mean just a little more, from Katie Holmes in an interview with Cat before The Performance from Mrs. Cruise. Watching her dance and sing to Get Happy in a tribute to Judy Garland was somewhat painful. She has a passable singing voice but very bad lip synching skills. She really rather posed than danced and the only highlights I could really point to would be the glimpses of Mark and Josh from last year in the group of men who were actually dancing in the pre-taped piece. I realize that I will risk the torture of having Nigel drunk tweet me when I say this, but I was not happy. It was his fault, though, really. Between last night’s performances by Ade and Melissa last night and the three showcased performances tonight, Katie didn’t really have a chance. It’s a compliment, Nigel, to your show. Through this show, we have come to expect more from dance than some poses by a girl with nice legs and a passable singing voice, especially when it has been built up for over the month as must see tv. We did get to see one of Judy Garland’s children in the audience, though. No, not that one, her brother Joey Luft.

No Comparison.

And here we are folks, the end of the show and you know what that means: Time to say goodbye to two more of the dancers. For the girls, it is Janette who will be going home. She tells us that being on the show made her realize how important dance was to her and that accounting is not her true passion. Good lord, I should hope not, Janette! You’re way too young and too talented to be a teller. Of the guys, it will be Jason who is going home. Poor Jason, he didn’t even get his goodbye montage because the folks started to swarm the stage to grab the cake brought out for the 100th show celebration. Well, at least he was first in line for the cake!

And that’s all, folks. Stay tuned next week when I am sure we will have to sit through a lecture by Nigel on how we are all horrible people for not worshipping Katie Holmes as the star she is. Yeah, I’m scared. Well, ok, I’m not, but I think I will turn off the text messaging on my phone for a few days….
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Re: SYTYCD 5 Results Recap 7/23: Celebration and the Victim of Hype

THANK YOU for the recap. I wondered if I was missing something with Katie Holmes' routine. So she can pose. Big Whoop. I don't text or twitter, so I have no worries about the English muffin raining wrath on my head......Still am shocked that Janette is gone.

I really wasn't feeling the love for Katie either. I didn't see the talent there...but since she donated her fee...I guess it all balanced out. They could have easily found someone who could have done it better. Nigel is on my twitter page...but he'll never recognize me. I'm just a flunky who follows him. Hugs and kisses Nigelllllllllllll!
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Iguana, I ALWAYS check in for the Cat walk!

FORT Newbie

Wade Robson chorepgrahed the "Hummingbird and the Flower", not Butterfly. You can tell Jamie was a flower by her movements. In the end, the flower embraces the hummingbird unto itself.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

According to the So You Think You Can Dance website, it was called The Hummingbird and the Butterfly, so that is what I went by.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

The show paid Katie Holmes, and she donated that payment to charity. They could've skipped the middle man and made the donations themselves. That way the time would have been donated to the viewers by showing another dance from the past. It would've been a better show.

+ Reply to Thread