+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nigel Tweets His Fury at Twitters Who Criticize Katie's 'dancing'

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Nigel Tweets His Fury at Twitters Who Criticize Katie's 'dancing'

'So You Think You Can Dance' executive producer Nigel Lythgoe vs. the fans
    12:09 PM PT, Jul 24 2009

"Katie-holmes-1-b So you think you can opine?

Not if you don't want to hear from "So You Think You Can Dance" executive producer Nigel Lythgoe, who took to Twitter last night and today to bash viewers who weren't so taken with Katie Holmes' tribute to Judy Garland in last night's show.

It was the Fox reality show's 100th episode and Holmes performed to raise money for the newly established Dizzy Feet Foundation, which she, Lythgoe, director Adam Shankman and "Dancing With the Stars" judge Carrie Ann Inaba created this year to offer children access to dance education.

Were her motives positive and well-intended? Of course. None of the show's fans are questioning that. But when fans went on Twitter to express their disappointment with a lip-synched song-and-dance routine that was more about posing than actual movement, Lythgoe took exception, even threatening to ban those Tweet followers that dared to express an opinion.

"I'm going to ban all the Katie haters. You make me sick. Your attitude stops 'stars' doing charity work. Understand why she did it CHILDREN," Lythgoe wrote on his @dizzyfeet account.

The sparks flew (and are still flying) across the Twitterverse, with fans firing back:

"Don't hate on the VIEWERS who watch the show," wrote @brandonik. "We r entitled to our opinion of every dancer on the show. Dont be rude."

"nigel needs to untwist his panties already," replied @RAQ3UL.

One thing that Lythgoe seems to be forgetting is that though it may be easy to ban Twitter followers -- click unfollow and you're done -- it's just as easy for the record 8.4 million viewers who tuned in to "So You Think You Can Dance" last night, a 17% increase from the previous week, to change the channel.

-- Maria Elena Fernandez"

Article link: link to LA Times
    Last edited by iguanachocolate; 07-24-2009 at 09:46 PM.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Premium Member

Re: Nigels Tweets His Fury at Twitters Who Criticize Katie's 'dancing'

Wow Nigel needs to lighten up some, some people aren't going to like the Katie Holmes routine and as long as they weren't rude in their displeasure he needs to let it go. People have a right to differ from him.

Just because it was for charity doesn't mean that people are automatically going to fall in love with her performance. Me personally, I liked it somewhat, but I wasn't blown away. Sadly, I focused more on who the background dancers were and trying to see if I could recognize their faces.

Also, Katie Holmes isn't exactly the most popular celebrity out there. It's pretty random, in fact, for her to be on this show. I know she's part of the charity, but maybe they should have gotten someone who's known for dance. Someone like, Jennifer Lopez.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I always enjoyed Katie on Dawson's Creek, but I thought it was silly that they referred to her as a "star of the silver screen". I mean, really? The only reason she is on anyone's radar is because of her marriage to Tom Cruise. I was hoping that she would surprise with some really great singing and dancing, or at least some major charisma. I thought the performance and its production elements were awful. She needs to take some lip syncing lessons from Britney Spears. She is no Judy Garland.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Re: Nigel Tweets His Fury at Twitters Who Criticize Katie's 'dancing'

Nigel is acting like a child.

He's reaping what he sewed. Nobody held a gun to his head and told him that he had to hype Katie's performance as "Oscar Worthy", "the performance of a lifetime", and other glowing superlatives for a month or two straight.

Even subtracting those who are mocking just because Katie is married to a weird little person who believes in Space Aliens, there are still plenty of people who just were reacting to the enormous buildup and the rather dim reality. It's also a bit of manipulative B.S. on Nigel's part to do all this "how dare you, she's doing it for charity" stuff. As if Katie couldn't just drop a hundred times the "fee" she might have collected otherwise for the appearance and donated it directly. She made a choice, as did Nigel, to do what she did, and she doesn't need to be "protected" from it because she didn't live up to the enormous hype. She's a grown woman, who made her own decision, and Nigel is a (mostly) grown man who made his OWN decision to put this on the 100th episode, and sell it like Jordache Jeans in the 1970s.

There's also his hypocrisy on other levels. He certainly can't claim to be surprised by any of this, when he's had the tape of the performance to stare at for the past few months. Unless he's drinking Xenu Juice, he HAD to know that Katie's version of "Judy Garland" was a heavily edited remixed vocal, added to lots of leg stretching and strutting. Did he check his brain at the door and assume that the wife of a former superstar would automatically make people blind to that? Or that people would just go "awww, 4 da kidz!" and not mock the combination of the buildup vs. the reality? Come on, English Muffin!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I too was quite disappointed with her performance. If that was dancing, to quote Ellen DeGeneres "I can do that". I appreciate the charitable intent, but intent doesn't excuse a mediocre performance by someone who is most noted for her husband and their shared philsophical beliefs. Nigel needs to stop taking himself quite so seriously and realize that just because someone doesn't agree with you they're not idiots. Silly English muffin!!

It also occurs to me that if Nigel had any brains, he'd realize that people out there are occasionally kind of skeptical of "charity performances" which theoretically do more to boost a failing star's career than help an actual charity.

Katie's "act of charity" was apparently to donate the fee she otherwise would have gotten for the appearance. Fine. If she made scale, like a lot of celebs do for charity related performances, that's next to nothing. If it WASN'T scale, then the difference is coming from the production company's pockets and/or the Network ANYWAY, not Katie Cruise, er. Holmes.

And in return Katie gets talked about for 2 months solid on prime time TV, gets innumerable articles written about her, and then a much highlighted prime time solo performance. Which, if it hadn't wound up sucking, could have been worth a hell of a lot to a career.

So skepticism of her "charitable intentions" are natural, just as are expectations that she ought to have delivered. What's so unnatural, or unfair, about either of those things?

Again, the capper is that this was "in the can" quite a while ago. They could have re-done it. Or they could have adjusted the hype a bit to change expectations. They could have quietly slotted it as part of an earlier show, or made it a lower profile "exclusive online video" instead of a "major on-air event". The options were endless, so Nigel's bitching and moaning is just insulting.

FORT Fogey

Personally, I think that if Nigel hadn't built the appearance up for a month and instead just sprung it on the audience as a special Tyce DiOrio surprise then it would have played just fine. Or to put it another way, Nigel mishandled the appearance from the get-go and is just reaping what he sowed. He built up expectations to an impossible level and then delivered a minor movie star in a cabaret act.

I think Katie was fine - she did exactly what I expected her to do, and I think she has a lovely singing voice. She is every bit as good as Rene Zellweger was in Chicago. Nigel over promised, however, and unfortunately Katie is taking the hit.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3609445;
    Personally, I think that if Nigel hadn't built the appearance up for a month and instead just sprung it on the audience as a special Tyce DiOrio surprise then it would have played just fine. Or to put it another way, Nigel mishandled the appearance from the get-go and is just reaping what he sowed. He built up expectations to an impossible level and then delivered a minor movie star in a cabaret act.

I think Katie was fine - she did exactly what I expected her to do, and I think she has a lovely singing voice. She is every bit as good as Rene Zellweger was in Chicago. Nigel over promised, however, and unfortunately Katie is taking the hit.
    My thoughts exactly, which is why I wasn't at all disappointed in the performance.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

This is also an object lesson about something that MOST of Hollywood has been learning over the past few years, and now it's Uncle Nigel's turn. Do you guys have ANY idea of how many YouTube channels, Myspace Pages and Twitters are now P.R. agency controlled? Where the star either never directly posts or gets vetted? I bet Nige's Twitter presence goes that way sooner or later.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast