+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nigel Tweets His Fury at Twitters Who Criticize Katie's 'dancing'

FORT Fogey

Re: Nigel Tweets His Fury at Twitters Who Criticize Katie's 'dancing'

Nigel, after all his years in the entertainment business, is not aware that the public DOES NOT have to like what is put out for their revew and if they don't like it, they have the right to say so publically.. ..even if it is for a charity. Nigel should also be aware that it is the public that supports his endeavors and if they don't like his attitude, those endeavors could be at risk

Totally disagree with Nigel on this one. Katie Homes was not very good. She's an actress who can sing and dance a littlie, that's all. They'd have been a lot better off going with someone like Catherine Zeta Jones, who CAN sing and is a trained dancer, or with someone like Bebe Neuwirth or even Chita Rivera. Any one of them would have made that number memorable.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3612496;
    Totally disagree with Nigel on this one. Katie Homes was not very good. She's an actress who can sing and dance a littlie, that's all. They'd have been a lot better off going with someone like Catherine Zeta Jones, who CAN sing and is a trained dancer, or with someone like Bebe Neuwirth or even Chita Rivera. Any one of them would have made that number memorable.
    Those people would have been better options, but Katie did the number because she's a co-founder of the Dizzy Feet Foundation.
    They'd have been better with all three of the other co-founders doing a number, Nigel, Adam Shankman and Carrie Ann Inaba.
    They seem to think Katie is a far bigger star than she is and that doing something for charity means you are above criticism, even when it isn't very good.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3612556;
    Those people would have been better options, but Katie did the number because she's a co-founder of the Dizzy Feet Foundation.
    A founding role she was apparently ASKED to fill. The wording of the interviews seems to make that clear.
    They seem to think Katie is a far bigger star than she is and that doing something for charity means you are above criticism, even when it isn't very good.
    Well, she's a name everyone in the world knows. Isn't that EXACTLY the same thing as being a "big star"? Guess not guys!

She's "famous" for being on a middle of the road teen drama. She's only super-famous for being married to a nut who's own fame is now based on being a has-been and a notable looney tune, even if he WAS formerly one of the most famous people in the world.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3609445;
    Personally, I think that if Nigel hadn't built the appearance up for a month and instead just sprung it on the audience as a special Tyce DiOrio surprise then it would have played just fine. Or to put it another way, Nigel mishandled the appearance from the get-go and is just reaping what he sowed. He built up expectations to an impossible level and then delivered a minor movie star in a cabaret act.

I think Katie was fine - she did exactly what I expected her to do, and I think she has a lovely singing voice. She is every bit as good as Rene Zellweger was in Chicago. Nigel over promised, however, and unfortunately Katie is taking the hit.
    EXACTLY!

Nigel is the first one to say that "(he) expected MORE . . " He expects MORE from the top 8, blah, blah, blah Well WE expected MORE from all the HYPE. My feeling about Katie Holmes' performance was "Wow, I didn't realize that she could sing and dance. . .my conclusion after the performance was "Well, she can't". NIGEL set UP the HUGE expectation himself and he's not man enough to admit it. He's being a spoiled child because he set up his friend and charitable benefactor for a fall. This Englishman misread KH's popularity in this country. He felt we should be awed and honored to see her on our screens. That simply was not the reality. His miscalculation. . . his set up for our expectations.. . HIS FAULT. Just because he needs KH's support and set her up does not make us "children" for criticizing her. He needs to man up and admit it or keep quiet. There is NO WAY that I believe that he honestly believes that her performance provided evidence that she was even a decent song and dance gal. It doesn't necessarily mean that she isn't, but that performance proved NOTHING. Any one of the girls left could have done a much better job and he knows it.

Nigel: WE expected MORE.

FORT Newbie

Katie is meh, and has always been meh. If she hadn't married Tom Cruise, she'd have disappeared a long time ago. She is no more talented than the rabble that hits the Hollywood turnstile every year.

I was actually very annoyed that Nigel put up the kind of hype he did for such an "average" performance. He should be the one feeling the shame, not the viewers.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I agree with both Girlsmom & Shanny. And the first paragraph from TopCat.

If it hadn't been hyped so darned much, I wouldn't have been so critical of the actual performance.

I'm a HUGE Judy Garland fan. I didn't expect KH to sing anything like her - who can? But I expected MORE from the way this was being touted.

I, too, spent more time looking in the background to see which previous season dancers I might recognize.

I will counter one criticism, however, regarding the lip-synching. Most - if not all - dance routines in movies were done to a previously recorded track and then lip-synched. You just can't sing well when you're being that physically active. Ask Britney Spears (OMG - did I just use Britney Spears as a reference? Should I edit and switch that to Anne-Margret or Ann Miller...?!?!?)

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Fierce - I don't think people expected her to sing and dance - but the lip synching was really bad - I think that was the problem. At least that was the problem for me.

And I agree with everyone who said the hype was too much - when something is hyped as much and for as long as this was, we expect something spectacular - and this wasn't.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by shanny;3614552;
    Katie is meh, and has always been meh. If she hadn't married Tom Cruise, she'd have disappeared a long time ago. She is no more talented than the rabble that hits the Hollywood turnstile every year.

I was actually very annoyed that Nigel put up the kind of hype he did for such an "average" performance. He should be the one feeling the shame, not the viewers.
    After they kept going on and on about him and Kat dancing together on one of the finale shows, only to run four minutes of a jibjab video of them, I guess we should have known this was going to be much ado about nothing.

I take the point about lipsynching, but given how little dancing Katie did she probably could have actually sung along.

Nigel apparently went to a Scientology centre on June 5th, so that probably accounts for his sudden fascination with Katie.
    Last edited by fluff; 07-26-2009 at 06:26 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast