+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: 7/23 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 7/23 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3619018;
    I am guessing, but I think the strong, opposing reaction you're getting may be due to implied authoritative statements like this one.

You're not a staffer on the show, nor present in the homes of the viewing public outside of your own home. So you can't really make a statement like this and expect not to get a reaction.

I'm not a "tween." I'm a 41 year old woman who was raised on MGM and Broadway musicals. Evan is getting MY vote based COMPLETELY on his dancing. I know he's not partnering as strong as others, I'll agree with that. Sometimes it makes me a little exasperated seeing him not hit a dance really hard, especially ballroom or hip hop.

(Side note: I think he did a good job of changing his "sweet" character for the "Rich Man's Frug" number - he definitely had a surprisingly haughty/sassy air about him for that number and I think that was sadly missed by a lot of people.)

However, I see what he does in his solos, and I've seen what else he can do when he gets the opportunity to dance his style. And thus, Evan and his style of dancing gets MY vote.

If there was another BROADWAY dancer doing a BETTER job than him, even if said dancer came off as a jerk, THAT person would get my vote, not Evan.

I wanted desperately for him to make the top 20 last year, and was massively upset that he didn't make it. I'm tired of not seeing Broadway/tap dancers on the show.

It might not seem fair, but I really, really feel you're missing the "America's FAVORITE dancer" part. You obviously strongly feel this is a competition that should be based primarily on skill across the board, not on personal preference for a style/individual. There's nothing wrong with that, except for that's NOT how the show is focused, so you - and others who stress technicality over personality/style - are doomed to be upset over situations like this.

Who do I think should win if Evan wasn't my favorite? That would have been Jeanette. I thought she came out and hit the most dances the hardest, the most accurate, the most technically well - and with plenty of personality to boot. I think she did better than Janine by far - Janine kept disappointing me in her solos.

But I prefer Evan's style, and thus, even though he's not dancing the partners dances as strongly as others, Broadway of his style is MY favorite type of dance, he's the ONLY person doing it during the solos, and thus, Evan is MY favorite dancer.

I'm re-watching season 1 and almost finished and ready to go on to watching season 2. The technicality of the dancers on season 1 was pretty sad. But they did stress the "best dancer" thing more than "favorite dancer" thing in that season. I'll see upon re-watching if it was in season 2 that they realized they had to change the focus from it being a technical competition to it being a competition of "preferences."

Your observations are, IMHO, as valid as the next, except when you paint with a broad stroke. I'd say that to anyone saying the same things on the other websites you mention. Unless you're in the homes of all the people calling in, you can't really make those kinds of statements authoritatively.

Now, all that said, if they were to change the focus of the show to specifically "America's BEST dancer," then I would expect them to change the show by taking the voting out of the viewing public's hands and decide themselves. That was how they started out in season 1 - the judges picked the bottom couples, they all had to "dance for their lives" and THEN the viewing public had to call in. Much as I am glad they've revamped the show since that season, I think some of this controversy could be averted if they returned to that methodology.

I don't know if any of this cleared anything up, and I'll apologize in advance if I said anything to offend you, I re-read and edited in an attempt not to.

I'm also woman enough to also add that I could be completely and totally pulling all this out my @$$ and might just be totally full of $4!+.
    I had this all typed up, but since we were having this discussion on the night of The Bachelorette finale, the site decided to crash on me right before I submitted this. Thank goodness I copied and pasted in Word right before I tried to submit this because I would have lost this post entirely.

I knew what I was in for. I have strong opinions, so I knew that that I was bound to get strong opinions back. But being the only one talking negatively about Evan and having his multiple, numerous fans coming to his defense, I can't help but being taken aback a little bit.

If all of the voters were like you, then Evan would be getting through just based on his dance ability. If all the voters loved the style of Broadway, then he would be getting through on his dance skills. But not all of his voters are like that, so he isn't getting through just (and I really want to emphasize the word just) based on his dance skills. It isn't the only reason why he gets through each and every week (which I was trying get at with the sentence you quoted). But I'm not saying that no one likes his dancing. He's not a terrible dancer at all.

I may come off as authorative in my posts and state what I say "matter-of-factly." But part of the reason is that this is the internet. No one knows how I emphasize or how I saw my words. I don't want to come off as a mean person, because I'm not. I really don't think I am. I just state what my opinion is and what I've been reading on other sites, and 9 times out of 10, I'm the only one who thinks like I do on this site. And by having the "unpopular opinion," I know what I'm in for when I post on this site.

I totally understand that this is America's Favorite Dancer. I've been a fan of this show since the first day, and by now, you'd think that I realize that fact. But I have a problem with how these contestants get to be America's Favorite Dancer. I would prefer it if the winner becomes America's Favorite Dancer just based on their dance ability. But obviously, I think that Evan hasn't been getting votes just based on his dancing. That's my problem. If this show was about finding America's favorite, then you might as well not have the performance shows because these dancers become favorites during the audition stages. Truthfully, if Natalie Reid made it to the Top20, then she would probably make it to the Top4. She just would have had to be decent every week. That has been my biggest problem with this show and American Idol. The editing team can pick and choose who to show, and the ones that do get shown will benefit from it greatly. And the ones who don't get shown will almost always be screwed. Luckily, with SYTYCD, it seems that people's opinions wear off, and the dancers will gain favorites with their dancing. But with Evan, I think he for sure has gained some fans throughout the performance shows, but I feel like he's still enjoying the benefits he got from the audition stages the most out of everyone who's left.

Not everyone is like you, and not everyone is like me. The things I have said in this thread are not for sure things. I would like to think they are definite, but they're not. Realistic, but it’s not definite. I may come off strongly with my opinions, but I know what I say isn't true with every, single voter there is.

But the same can be said about you Evan fans. Not everyone is voting for him just because of his dancing. He's a fine dancer, but there is more to it than that. That's what I'm getting at.

People think I'm saying that his dancing has no impact on his voters at all. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that it seems that he's still enjoying the benefits he got from his edit during the audition stages the most out of everyone left. And I know there is not a for sure way to know how everyone is voting. But I have friends who vote for him just because he's likable. And I've read on other forums that have the same opinions as me. So I'm not alone in this; I'm just the only one on FoRT.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

If it's true that not everyone that votes for Evan is voting because of his dancing, the same thing can be said for every one of the contestants. I base my vote on dance and I think Evan is as good as any of the men left. I don't claim to be a qualified judge, but I started dance lessons at age 3 and kept going until I injured a knee in my teens.

Some people vote for or against based on dance, or based on personality, or based on ethnicity or hairstyle or who choreographed for them or the style of dance they like or don't like, or costumes or makeup, or looks or cuteness.

I'd prefer the judges do the voting. Even if I don't always agree with them, at least they have some basis for their selections.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

It's very true that Evan isn't the only one that gets votes for other reasons. Brandon has his sob story of Mia hating him. Kayla has her grandparents. Jeanine has Phillip's fans. Melissa has her age (I don't know, maybe some people like seeing a more mature dancer). And Ade... well, I don't really know what Ade has. I would say his pick, but that's more annoying than likable. But like I said, I just think that Evan is benefiting from the other things more than other contestants are.

But it has always been a complaint of mine. I have always hated how some people get golden edits during the auditions. That's why I appreciate winners like Kris Allen or Sabra, the ones that were able to build a fanbase mostly (and I say mostly, because Kris had the looks and Sabra had the hair also ) on their talent.

And the problem with the judges having the control is that it's not necessarily always the dancers' fault. I have to admit that Evan has gotten the shaft a few times. There were a couple of times where I think he probably could have hit it out of the park with the choreography (like with the Broadway and the V. Waltz, but I'm biased since I love V. Waltzes), but things like the Halo HH did him no justice

(On a side note, I'm kind of getting sick of how NappyTabs have to take every single lyric of the song and make a dance move that can literally go along with it--like when Beyonce sings "baby they been tumbling down" and Evan/Randi roll their hands down. I'm also sick of their storylines. Randi pregnant? That was the worst story they have come up with yet).

But anyway, dancers can get bad choreography, and they can't do anything about it. But the judges will never hate on the choreographers, only the dancers. So if the judges had the control, then it would be unfair to the ones that get bad choreography.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fan

So to sum up, we just can't win no matter what!

I'm just going to watch tonight and hope that Evan nails his Broadway routine. If he doesn't, I will have to conclude one of two things - either I've been wrong all along and he's not that good, or they are royally screwing him with the choreography (which I kind of believe they've been doing all season, even if it is unintentional). Until then, I still believe he deserves to be there as much as or more than Ade, and will be hoping that Evan and Brandon are the final 2 guys. I think Brandon is totally safe this week - partly because he deserves to be, but mostly because his fans will go crazy after last week's scare.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by sjjmom;3622604;
    So to sum up, we just can't win no matter what!

I'm just going to watch tonight and hope that Evan nails his Broadway routine. If he doesn't, I will have to conclude one of two things - either I've been wrong all along and he's not that good, or they are royally screwing him with the choreography (which I kind of believe they've been doing all season, even if it is unintentional). Until then, I still believe he deserves to be there as much as or more than Ade, and will be hoping that Evan and Brandon are the final 2 guys. I think Brandon is totally safe this week - partly because he deserves to be, but mostly because his fans will go crazy after last week's scare.
    Yeah, I'm really hoping he nails the broadway routine. Evan's worked with Tyce before so that might help him. He nailed Tyce's jazz piece from the first show. Tyce is a pretty good chreographer so I think he can really get the performance out of Evan. Him being with Melissa could help him or hurt him. Melissa could suck and he could seem a lot better than her... or they could both do well. I really hope this broadway is more Evan's style than that Bob Fosse routine (from that scary choreographer lady lol, jk) and that he does brillilantly!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by kasprzakara;3623573;
    Yeah, I'm really hoping he nails the broadway routine...
    Welcome, Kasprazkara! Come back for the show tonight. We're all going to be going crazy, I'm sure.

+ Reply to Thread