+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 7/23 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fan

Re: 7/23 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3607862;
    well im not a grandma or a teeny bopper and Im voting for him!
    I second that!
    And he has made me smile every dance and I am getting more and more angry at the way Nigel cuts him down for things he can't help.
    (eyes, height, color).
    And I am just positive it will be Kayla that he is paired with and in a dance style that is not an audience favorite.
    Nothing emotional or much fun I am sure.
    IMO.

What a waste of air time with Kate Holmes (ugh) I knew it would be. I was disgusted about it when they announced she was going to be on knowing full well it was bought and paid for and had absolutely nothing to do with talent. Oh, and where exactly did she dance. I would've loved to seen Twitch and Katee and the door dance. That is one of my favorites. But anything would have been better than what they showed and then it wasn't even lied. Far be it, she might make a mistake. OK, sorry for the ranting.
    Sometimes right back where you started from is right where you belong.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;3608240;
    Man I can't believe Janette is gone. Melissa or Kayla should have went home. I don't usually vote, but next week I'm going to have to. I'll be throwing all my votes to Brandon. If Brandon or Jeanine don't win this, I'll be extremely disappointed. I liked Kayla during auditions, but now think she's highly overated and needs to go. If Evan wins this I don't know if I could watch another season. Unworthy winners is the reason why I stopped watching American Idol. He's great in his own style but I want someone that can do everything great.
    I was shocked to see Jeanette go, I too thought Melissa or Kayla. (I actually thought Melissa & Ada would go out with their swan song being the "breast cancer" piece). I think that Ada is a physically strong dancer, and he jumps, and leaps like no other, but his actual dancing in my opinion is a bit stiff.

Melissa is a beautiful dancer, but she does not adapt well to other genres.

Okay, well I think I should probably speak up because I see that there were a lot of posts made to defend Evan after I said he's the weakest partner left in this post.

I think it's fine that you guys like Evan. We all have our favorites, and I definitely have mine. And it's great that you guys come to his defense. I constantly do with Kayla.

But honestly, if he wins, then I will have a problem with it. Sure, you guys can say that this is America's Favorite Dancer, but I want a winner that deserves it because he or she danced well on the performance shows. With Evan, he had this fanbase right from the beginning. It could have been his backstory with his brother auditioning also, or it could have been his audition itself. But whatever it is, he got the fans.

Then hearts were deeply shattered when Ryan and Evan were the last two standing. (On a side note, I personally wanted Ryan to make it through.) But when Evan made it over his brother, people felt badly for him. And now by this point, Evan's fanbase has been built. The performance shows haven't even started! It was all based on selective editing. And I think you guys know how much I hate how some people get more airtime than others. It's totally unfair to the "underpimped" dancers.

The icing on the cake was the Top20 week, when he landed Randi as a partner and they both got that jazz. When they were dancing, no one noticed that they were short. When the judges brought it up, I think it strangely appealed to some voters. Little things are cute. I smile when I see a small little puppy dog. So in a way, his shortness is key.

After that, the only outstanding choreography he has ever gotten was the butt routine. Then, it seemed that Evan couldn't nail his routines anymore. You can blame it on the choreography, or you can blame it on him. But he hasn't had any memorable routines lately.

But his fanbase is still building. After all of the negative comments he gets from the judges, voters probably feel badly for him and want to vote for him just because they feel badly for him. And who knows, maybe some people only vote for him to make Nigel angry. But whatever the reason, the negative comments help. The negative comments probably do more for Evan than good choreography does for the other dancers.

I'm not saying that these are the only reasons why a good handful of you FoRTers like Evan. But among a good amount of the viewers, I think these are the main reasons why they like him.

But the reasons I stated above have almost nothing to do with dance. It was his brother (and editing with his brother), his audition, his shortness, and his negative comments. His solos probably hold an importance to his popularity, but I want to see more from him dance-wise. I want to see him blow some of the choreography out of the park as he did with the butt routine. Because I'm not blaming it all on the choreography; some of the blame falls on him. He could have been spectacular in that Rumba he just did with Janette.

I must end this post with this: it's all just my opinion, of course.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 07-24-2009 at 06:58 PM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

its possible that his fanbase has nothing to do with selective editing, backstory, and negativity... and everything to do with the fact that he entertains them..they like his dancing..they like his style..they like his personality...

p.s. I have never voted for someone because the judges were negative toward them. Im sure there are those that feel sorry for him, but its possible he has the votes and he has the fans because people like him...and even because they like the way he dances..
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3609000;
    its possible that his fanbase has nothing to do with selective editing, backstory, and negativity... and everything to do with the fact that he entertains them..they like his dancing..they like his style..they like his personality...

p.s. I have never voted for someone because the judges were negative toward them. Im sure there are those that feel sorry for him, but its possible he has the votes and he has the fans because people like him...and even because they like the way he dances..
    I know it's possible, but I think it's realistic that a good amount of the viewers are voting for him because he's just likable. And how did he get to be so likable? Because of the way he was edited. And because he has been hammered by the judges. And because he does show his personality.

Also, tweens have a special way of voting. They don't care about the dancing. They mostly care about looks. And with there being no knockout guys left (sorry, but I think most of you all would agree), I think that most of them flock to Evan.

And I did mention his solos. Like I said, they're awesome. But I doubt there are many people who only focus on the solos. If they did, then Kayla and Melissa would be looooong gone. He probably does gain some votes, though, with his solos.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I have to say that I am pretty shocked about Janette's departure Thursday night. I really thought it would have been Kayla. Honestly though, I thought it should have been Jeanine that left this week. Neither of her performances were very strong and I just am not getting a great personality vibe from her in her dances. There are a few select dances she's been good in, but overall Jeanette has been much more consistent and she brought it every week. I wasn't surprised with Jason's cut though.

I did like seeing all the dancers from the previous seasons. The Bench is one of my favorite performances. I agree that the Katie Holmes bit was a complete waste of time. She lip sync'd, barely danced, and there was no point to it. I would have much rather seen more past performances. Oh well.

FORT Fogey

Just rewatched the anniversary show and I think the later numbers and elimination controversary has taken attention away from the wonderful Mia Michaels opening number: One from A Chorus Line.

I think Mia choreographed the best Broadway routine for the show since Tyce's Lioness Hunt (from The Lion King) in Season three. While she did give a "tip of the hat" to a couple of Michael Bennett's signature moves from the original, the whole conception was pure Mia. (And of course, in Mia's version the mirrors are all cracked!) I would love to see what Mia could do with that whole show.

And here's an idea: Mia, cast the whole show with SYTYCD alums and tour it.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 07-25-2009 at 09:41 PM.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3609045;
    I know it's possible, but I think it's realistic that a good amount of the viewers are voting for him because he's just likable. And how did he get to be so likable? Because of the way he was edited. And because he has been hammered by the judges. And because he does show his personality.

Also, tweens have a special way of voting. They don't care about the dancing. They mostly care about looks. And with there being no knockout guys left (sorry, but I think most of you all would agree), I think that most of them flock to Evan.

And I did mention his solos. Like I said, they're awesome. But I doubt there are many people who only focus on the solos. If they did, then Kayla and Melissa would be looooong gone. He probably does gain some votes, though, with his solos.
    I'm not a tween, or a senior citizen, or a spoiler. And actually I rarely vote. But when I do vote, I vote for Evan. I like him, and sure, that has something to do with his "edit". And it ticks me off when the judges are negative about his looks. But not because I feel sorry for him. Because I feel they are being unfair. I like his dancing, and I think he hasn't been given many great routines to work with. Everyone's opinions are different. I'm sure there are people out there who vote for Evan for reasons that have nothing to do with dancing. Other people vote for him for reasons that have everything to do with dancing.

Oh, and I can't imagine any tween voting for Evan because of his looks. How do you figure that?

^Looks are the most important to the tween girls. It's the ugly truth. That's how Neil made the final 4 in S3. It's how Nico won the Canadian version of this show.

And when there are no good-looking guys around, the tweens flock to the likable one. Benji was likable in S2, and it eventually led to his win. Twitch was the tweens' favorite in S4 (there are videos on YouTube that show some of their meltdowns when it was revealed he lost; they're hilarious ). And now it's Evan this year.

I've been keeping this bottled up for a while now. I haven't said anything bad about Evan until now. But now we're down to the Top6, and I'm sorry, but I don't think he's on par with the other dancers. I will say, however, that he did deserve to make the Top10 because he did have some good routines before the Top10. Plus, the male half of this cast are arguably weaker than the girls this season (I would say the Top5 guys would be Brandon, Max, Jason, Evan, and Kupono--just for his partner dances, not his solos cause they sucked). But with that said, I still think Evan's a weaker dancer. Not a bad dancer, by any means, just weaker.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 07-25-2009 at 10:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread