+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 7/23 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/23 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Parasolpink;3607073;
    Hello. Can someone please explain how Mia's show of favouritism translates into the kiss of death? As illustrated with Janette last night. Has this happened before? And does this apply to other judges? Thank you in advance!
    Here is my personal point of view on this.

First, "showing favoritism" is not the same thing as saying that someone is your favorite. Favoritism means bending the rules to the advantage of one particular person. Having a favorite just means that out of a group, one person appeals more than others.

So, I have to start my response by saying that Mia did not show favoritism (that I could see) to Jeanette. I know of no rules set aside, no advantages given. She just stated that she liked her dancing the best of all the girls left in the competition.

That said, I have seen in the past that some viewers will turn on a contestant that gets constant praise from the judges. (See "Wingfield, William".) I am not completely sure why this is. Maybe they have a favorite that is being criticized (always unfairly from our point of view, of course) and it seems unjust that someone else gets praise time and time again? Maybe they feel that someone is being "shoved down their throat"? Kayla has gotten some flack this season along these lines.

But we are talking about a pattern of behavior here, not a single comment made on one dance.

Along these lines, I think the best thing that could have happened to Brandon was Mia and Lil C hating on him so vehemently at the beginning of the season. It gave him a sympathetic story line. If all the judges has come in feeling about him the way Nigel and Mary did from the beginning, I think he would have been toast.

Kind of sad, but that's what I think.

yay evan!

I think he does fine on partner dancing....I definitely think he deserves to be there and im pulling for him.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3606751;
    Perhaps something also could be done such as adding GROUP numbers with non-contestant dancers as back-ups and have one of the competing dancers be the main focus. Such as a Bollywood number with a small group of backup dancers, and have one of the contestants be the "featured" dancer up-front, leading. You could also do this with hip-hop, Broadway (naturally), jazz, contemporary, even some ethnic/folk, though I doubt those styles will EVER work on this show.

<--shrugs. I would like to see more individual dances - FULL LENGTH, not 45 second solos - upon which to truly judge whether a dancer is skilled.
    Agreed! I think this is a great idea. With the solos, I'm always left wanting more. And if I'm not, then that means that the dancer did not put together a decent solo and should be rightly affected by it.

FORT Fan

As an Evan fan, I don't think he does that badly in the partner dances. It's more that I don't think he's been given any stand-out dances to do. Some of the choreography, like Ade and Melissa's cancer dance or Brandon and Janette's robber dance, is simply spectacular, and it makes the dancers look great. I honestly believe that a lot of the other "top 10" dancers could have done those dances and looked just as good, but didn't get the chance.

As far as favoritism - I don't think that's why Janette's gone. I honestly think the top 4 girls were all pretty comparable. If you look through the posts on this board, as well as others, you'll find that there seem to be groups of haters and lovers for ALL of the girls. You'll also find lots of people who feel the judges unfairly favor Kayla, and some who think Jeanine or Melissa get special treatment. I wouldn't necessarily have guessed that Janette was such a big favorite with them. So I wouldn't say America got it wrong. Janette's fans just were not voting the way they should have been this week. It could have been anyone to leave.

OTOH, I think the judges' negative opinions have HELPED Evan. As a fan, I get pretty angry when Nigel goes on and on about Evan's heavy eyelids. Or calls him a "dancing milkshake" because he's whiter than the others (I watched him carefully in that dance - he did not stand out as dancing the African dance worse than the other guys - he only stood out for his color). Or when they make fun of his man-heels. I'm sorry, but if he didn't dance well, tell me why. I can accept that he didn't do well with the style, or the emotion, or he wasn't strong enough or whatever. But don't put him down for things he can't possibly help. And, hello? What do you think happens when you partner the shortest guy with the tallest girl and then ask them to do a WALTZ? Was that really fair? Nigel's comments have Evan fans dialing like crazy.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3605400;
    Ramalama! Wade is in Benji's spot.

Correction - Wade was in Benji's spot at the beginning then moved to become a new character.

To me, It looked like Wade was in Ryan's spot.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;3605583;
    I am struggling not to be thoroughly disgusted with this result. Evan, who was by far the weaker of the two is not even in the B2, yet his partner is sent home. hmmm

If Evan wins this, I am going to be very, very po'd
    He very well may. He has the Benji factor going for him I think. Totally unsexy, but you tend to just love him to death anyways.

Grandma's all over and little teeny boppers are voting for him in droves. And of course those awful spoiler folk who love nothing better than to skew the results.

well im not a grandma or a teeny bopper and Im voting for him!
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by kendra143;3606661;
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who watched Katie-Bot and wondered if anyone considered what she did "dancing"?? She basically strutted around and stretched out her leg left and right a few times. I laughed when Nigel said she donated her fee to Dizzy Feet - she charged for that??? OMG. I would have rather watched more of the SYTYCD dancers from past seasons! Hok and Jamie were even better this time!
    Katie was pretty dreadful.
    Apparently Nigel isn't too happy about the criticism she's been getting.
    He said that she isn't a dancer and did it to help the charity etc.etc.
    Well, if you do a routine like that on a dance show people are going to comment on your dancing, or lack thereof.
    I did enjoy seeing Mark and Joshua as back up dancers though.

I agree about Hok and Jamie. They were wonderful.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3606462;
    Wasn't Benji ballroom? Although I do try my best to forget all about him.
    Benji was West Coast Swing.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Man I can't believe Janette is gone. Melissa or Kayla should have went home. I don't usually vote, but next week I'm going to have to. I'll be throwing all my votes to Brandon. If Brandon or Jeanine don't win this, I'll be extremely disappointed. I liked Kayla during auditions, but now think she's highly overated and needs to go. If Evan wins this I don't know if I could watch another season. Unworthy winners is the reason why I stopped watching American Idol. He's great in his own style but I want someone that can do everything great.

+ Reply to Thread