+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 7/23 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 7/23 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3606462;
    Wasn't Benji ballroom? Although I do try my best to forget all about him.
    Sorry, I meant they haven't had a female ballroom-like winner. And if you wanna go even further, they haven't had a Hispanic winner either. Nigel likes his variety. That's why he pushed Joshua and Twitch down our throats towards the end of the season just to get a HH winner.

Ever since S3, it seems that the judges have a goal in mind as to who should win. In S3, it was totally obvious they wanted a female winner. They got her. In S4, the judges wanted a HH winner. They got him. And now, in S5, it seems that the judges want another female winner. And with Nigel saying that he thought Janette should have won, he probably wanted a Latin or ballroom dancer to win (even though Janette is technically a salsa dancer).
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 07-24-2009 at 07:48 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Regular

I have to say, I'm an Evan fan, and I am delighted to see him doing so well. He brings a charm and quirkiness all his own to his performances, and I really enjoy watching him. Do I think he is the best partner dancer? Absolutely not. I do think he has the best solos.

As has been said multiple times, this is not the search to find America's Best Dancer, it is the search to find America's Favorite Dancer (of the moment.) At some moments, usually during his solos, he is my favorite.

I enjoyed watching all the top four women. I wouldn't consider it a travesty if any of the them had won. I am sorry Janette went home, but I would have been sorry if any of the top girls left... and one was going to go. My favorite is Jeanine, but it is only a slight preference because I think all the girls bring something interesting to their performances.

I like Brandon and Evan best of the men, but quite honesty, Evan is the only one of the guys I would be happy to see win.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who watched Katie-Bot and wondered if anyone considered what she did "dancing"?? She basically strutted around and stretched out her leg left and right a few times. I laughed when Nigel said she donated her fee to Dizzy Feet - she charged for that??? OMG. I would have rather watched more of the SYTYCD dancers from past seasons! Hok and Jamie were even better this time!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

RE: Evan - dittoing what has been said before, this is the search for "America's FAVORITE dancer." Not best. Not most versatile. Not best at partnering. FAVORITE - period.

It is a huge popularity contest.

I think it's only fair to look at why Evan is, thus, so popular.

Personally - and I've said it before -I think it's because there are enough people still around who remember watching people like Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Fred Astaire (moreso solo than partnered), and similar "MGM Musical" dancers, and remember how great these people and their routines were. We miss it, and don't see anything like it for the most part anymore - with the exception of those of us either fortunate or well-off enough to see actual Broadway musicals in-person.

Evan is my favorite for these reasons. For the fact that, prior to Evan, there has not been another person on the show who danced this as their primary style.

I will say that I sometimes am disapointed by Evan's lack of partnering skill. But, ya know, I preferred Gene and Fred better when they were solo or dancing with other guys than when they were leading Cyd and Ginger around the floor.

I like how SYTYCD changes and rolls with the times. I'd personally like to see an earlier cut-off of partner-based dances and an addition of more SOLO dances upon which people can be judged, possibly by both the panel (Nigel, Mary, etc) AND the public. Yes, it would call for eliminating styles that, by nature, are more partner-based (ALL ballroom), but it'd really focus on the individual skills of the individual dancers themselves.

Perhaps something also could be done such as adding GROUP numbers with non-contestant dancers as back-ups and have one of the competing dancers be the main focus. Such as a Bollywood number with a small group of backup dancers, and have one of the contestants be the "featured" dancer up-front, leading. You could also do this with hip-hop, Broadway (naturally), jazz, contemporary, even some ethnic/folk, though I doubt those styles will EVER work on this show.

<--shrugs. I would like to see more individual dances - FULL LENGTH, not 45 second solos - upon which to truly judge whether a dancer is skilled.

FORT Regular

Poor Judy, she's just rolling over in her grave. What an insult to the great Garland who did this song in her Prime. First of all, Katie Bot was wearing what looked like Fox Fur when she exited the car. Wake up and join the rest of the world who no longer appears in fur (or maybe it was one of Tom's she had remade. She's not much of a dancer or singer and if it weren't for Tom's Scientology connections she would have no career at all.

FORT Newbie

With Evan making it this far, I think it could cost his brother Ryan a place in the top 20 in the next season. I suppose Ryan would share the same fan base and the producers might not want to be ''stuck'' with him all the way to finale of season 6... What do you think?

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Shrug.

I really don't believe most of the conspiratorial thinking that goes on about this show. If I did, I'd believe that after what Nigel said last night about Jeannette being his favorite, she wouldn't have gone home last night.

I think that if Ryan ends up NOT on the show next season, it'll be because there are 10 guys who did a better job auditioning than him.

Re: Katie's dancing:
    Seems to me the empress wore no clothes!

As for Janette going home-to say "America"got it wrong, has to be the mother of all understatements.
    "No matter how lovesick a woman is, she shouldn't take the first pill that comes along!"Joyce Brothers

Hello. Can someone please explain how Mia's show of favouritism translates into the kiss of death? As illustrated with Janette last night. Has this happened before? And does this apply to other judges? Thank you in advance!
    "No matter how lovesick a woman is, she shouldn't take the first pill that comes along!"Joyce Brothers

FORT Fogey

It seems to happen a lot and I don't understand it. A dancer is given deserving praise, and it creates a backlash. I didn't see season 1, so I can't speak for that season. But every season has someone this happens to:

S2: Allison
    S3: Danny
    S4: Will
    S5: Jeanette (I think Kayla falls into this category too, unfortunately)

+ Reply to Thread