+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 7/15 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 7/15 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

The necklace didn't bother me all too much, except when it was dangling from her mouth...a little overkill there. Many routines over the years have featured much more obtrusive props - i.e. Twitch and Katee's door, Twitchington's bed (hhmmmm - think they were covering his lack of overall talent?!).

Anyhoo...overall though, for me it was one of the most memorable routines so far this season and honestly in quite awhile.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Jason and Kupono did these character solos that really don't get the audience to pick up the phone. Jason's had more straight dancing in his solo, but Kupono always likes to do these things that are more movement than dance. Not that what he does is easy. It just does not jump out at you. Now Evan did a solo that had great characterization and dancing. I guess it helps to have a brother who is a choreographer. I wonder if the other dancers get help with their solos? They should, and the solos should be longer, so we get to see what they can really do. God knows there is plenty of time in that show. All they have to do is cut out some of the useless banter. I thought the African dance was great. Repetition is a feature of any tribal dancing, so it didn't bother me because I got caught in the rhythm and the energy of the piece. Evan gave it his best try. I don't think he was all that bad. Think about it, Phillip could have been in that lineup too. I love what he does, but the thought of him doing that choreography makes me shudder.

Don't the dancers choreograph their own solos? Did Ryan come typ choreograph Evans? I didn't watch so I don't know..
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3578017;
    Don't the dancers choreograph their own solos? Did Ryan come typ choreograph Evans? I didn't watch so I don't know..
    They do, but the common opinion is that Ryan was smart enough to send Evan off to Hollywood with a bunch of solos tucked away. If you are going on this show, I'd think the smartest thing to do would be to work with a choreographer and have a bunch of solos that are the right length of time lined up so you don't look like some fool rolling and spinning around up there.

Epecially at this stage of the show...this is the 5th season, they should know what to expect and be prepared!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

FORT Fogey

Equal Prize Money for Men and Women: I’m surprised Women and/or Civil Rights and/or Union attorneys haven’t sued or pressured the producers because of the $50,000 prize money awarded last season. If the producers want to separate out, and award prize money, to the winners based on sex; that’s fine; but they can’t create an obvious financial inequity payout in the process. The show’s premise is that a female and male dancer must be voted off each week until the finals. Why change the format just for the finals? Wouldn’t it make more sense to continue what was started; e.g., see it through to the very end; for example, to crown both a female dancer and a male dancer; and then pay them equal prize money? Yeah, I’m a bleeding heart liberal, I know, but since the rules allow for it, and the rationale provided for last year $50,000 prize was based on sex, my suggestion is in harmony with what was started last year, and is certainly more politically correct, legally prudent, and forward thinking than the current system.
    actually, she got 50,000 for being the last girl left (that did not win). if she had won, the last guy left would have taken the 50,000

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost;3577542;
    Men Should Act Like Men?... With respect, Brandon, although brimming with self-confidence (which annoyed Mia and Lil C), and powerfully built, is soft-spoken and frankly, a little fey, when not on stage. But once the lights come on, he somehow transforms himself into character; is able to play the part, no matter what it is. For example, every thing he does is believable. I love hip-hop, and, Brandon is the only dancer I’ve seen this season who brings to the stage an authentic hip-hop swagger. ...What matters is that male dancers must be able to play the part; especially if the part is the romantic lead. If they are not a convincing lover and.or leading amn, the routine can't succeed. Not only must he play the part; he must make us believe it. Brandon does this very, very well. Unfortunately, Kapono does not. Kapono is a good guy and good dancer but will never be a convincing romantic lead.
    liedenfrost...you express this so well. Brandon transforms on stage - he becomes the dance/character. Kupono is playing a part and it shows. (pardon my editing, ALL of your thoughts on Brandon were right on, I just thought I'd save some space lol)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3578017;
    The show does not provide a choreographer for them, but other that I don't think there are any restrictions. So they can come up with it themselves, have a friend do it, steal it, improvise it, or hire someone to do it. Where the steps come from is totally up to them.

I'm actually surprised at how little thought some seem to put into their routines. Evan, Kupono, Jason, Melissa, and Jeanine obviously put a lot of thought into their numbers. They were thematically matched to the music, steps flowed together, and there was a sense of there being a "whole" concept.

In the past we have seen folks just get up and do 100% improvisation. That doesn't seem prudent with this much at stake. The solos are one of the few things they can actually control and prepare for in advance.

So anyone can use someone elses routine, I don't think Evan has an unfair advantage, except he has a brother who can chorogesph, I'm sure others have people in their lives who can as well..
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3576244;
    Many thanks!

<-- checks library system for copies of these in circulation
    I haven't watched many Ballywood films, but I did rent Bride and Predujice mainly because Naveen Andrews of Lost is in it. I enjoyed it and found the dancing highly entertaining.

Regarding Evan in a Gene Kelly biopic: I would estimate Gene's height as closer to 5'9 than to 5'7 based only upon visual comparison to other actors he worked with. The main thing for Evan, whose dancing I really love, is that Gene Kelly was EXTREMELY athletic. He incorporated some amazing feats into a lot of his dances and anyone doing a biopic would need to be able to do at least some of that. You'll know what I mean if you've ever seen "The Pirate."
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread