+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 7/15 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 7/15 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

From reading around I don't think randi has many fans, I think paired with Evan got her this far, because he is suppe popular, and his fans voted for him which saved her
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Fanatic

I think this competition is for one of the girls to lose.

LOVED to finally see Jason have a great number. LOVED Bollywood number.

Don't care what anyone says, I'm loving this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3576149;
    2) The more Bollywood routines I see, the more I want to see some actual Bollywood movies. Any recommendations?!?!?
    I recommend "Om Shanti Om". It's a great movie. And Katee and Joshua dance to its song last season.

Ha! I just caught the guys group number, Evan sticks out like a sore thumb poor guy, in height and coloring..he is so cute "as you can see, I'm not African" lol
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Fanatic

My husband watched the whole show with me tonight and we both were way impressed with Travis Wall routine. I've always liked Jason and am still so sad that Caitlin left - talk about a mistake after seeing Randi's solo and paso effort! I think she and Kupono will be the ones leaving for sure though I did like Kupono's solo tonight better than his past solo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3576149;
    3) Oh.My.God. OHMYGOD. Travis' choreography and Jason & Jeanine's execution of that contemporary number??!?!?!? OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG... Absolutely, positively, my favorite dance EVER now, for ANY season. Now I HAVE to get to see that tour...
    I think that's all I have to say for now... Except, maybe, OMG! That Travis/Jason/Jeanine number?~!?!? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wow!! That was soooooo hot!!! I had fan myself after seeing it! I want to see them do it live on the tour! Excellent job, Travis, Jeanine and Jason!

My favorite was the Travis Wall routine. Fantastic! I really like Randi. I wish she'd done better tonight.

Travis, Jeanine, and Jason: I don’t spend a lot of time watching this show. I like it but there’s not much singing (my first love) in it, so I tape it, then scan the interesting parts. Glad I taped this episode. I wanted to extend my heart-felt appreciation to Travis Wall for the romantic vision he created, and, congratulate Jason and Jeanine for bringing that vision to life. As a die-hard romantic, I love choreography that explores the physical chemistry between a man and a woman. The judges are experts, so I respect their opinions, but despite the examples they point to, the only romantic routine I've locked away in my vault, before tonight, was Tyce Diorio’s Why, with Ivan and Allison from season two. Tonight, I added a second. Jeanine is a beautiful presence; has been from the start, but was unfortunately coupled with the likeable but reclusive and introverted Phillip Chbeeb, so was unable to maximize her talent. Early on; even as recent as last week, I still didn’t understand what America (or the judges) saw in Jason. I didn’t like him very much at all. He smiles a lot but appears aloof, pre-pubescent, and asexual. He might be a good dancer but before tonight, showed no interest in, or chemistry with, his ladies. But something wonderful and unexpected happened tonight. The beautiful and sexy Jeanine finally got the technical partner she needs to show case her talent, and, because she clearly likes Jason, was able to convince him to play the part of her romantic lover. I don’t know how she did it but somehow she did. I know these two have no off-camera romance; that’s not the point. I believed them; I believed what they did on stage. That’s what matters. Better late than never, I guess, but this partnership, if only for a week, is a match made in heaven. Tonight is why I continue watching this show; for moments like this. It figured to unveil another romantic gem sooner or later. Tonight, thanks to Travis, it delivered. Now I have two romantic routines to enjoy. The only criticism I have is the music. I wish Travis had chosen something else. I love Jason Mraz too but I can think of eight or nine slow romantic emo rock songs that fit this theme and this choreography better than If It Kills Me.

Men Should Act Like Men? This is Nigel’s favorite phrase. But what does it mean, if anything, in 2009? When I first heard these words, I thought Nigel meant male dancers should act heterosexual. But that had to be wrong because there’s no such thing. If you’re ever bored and in need of a circular conversation that goes nowhere fast, try defining heterosexual and homosexual behavior and characteristics. Then, I thought perhaps Nigel meant that male dancers should be strong and powerful on stage. But that doesn’t stand up to reason either. I’ve seen male dancers who own and exude a very masculine presence on stage (e.g., remember this season's Tony?) but aren’t physically strong or powerful. I think I know, finally, what Nigel meant. It was Brandon who provided the answer. With respect, Brandon, although brimming with self-confidence (which annoyed Mia and Lil C), and powerfully built, is soft-spoken and frankly, a little fey, when not on stage. But once the lights come on, he somehow transforms himself into character; is able to play the part, no matter what it is. For example, every thing he does is believable. I love hip-hop, and, Brandon is the only dancer I’ve seen this season who brings to the stage an authentic hip-hop swagger. He personifies Nigel's favorite phrase. No matter the sexual preference; no matter the age or maturity; no matter whether the off-stage persona is feminine or masculine; none of it matters in the end. What matters is that male dancers must be able to play the part; especially if the part is the romantic lead. If they are not a convincing lover and.or leading amn, the routine can't succeed. Not only must he play the part; he must make us believe it. Brandon does this very, very well. Unfortunately, Kapono does not. Kapono is a good guy and good dancer but will never be a convincing romantic lead. I didn't care about this routine because it was doomed fom the start; I knew Kapono wouldn't be able to do a Paso Doble. I don't like the Paso Doble much any way. The only one I really enjoyed was Jean Marc Genereux’s We Will Rock You (Queen) as performed by Sara Gillern and Jesus Solorio, but that was roundly criticized and panned by the judges (more evidence that I don’t anything about dance; I liked it). Kapono should have prepared for his Paso Doble by watching Jesus Solorio; that little dude was loaded with fire and passion.

The Winner: In a just world, Brandon would win; he seems to be the best dancer to these untrained eyes. But we can look to Blake (season one) or William (season four) to know the best dancers not only don’t win, they routinely get sent home earlier than their talent warrants. Since we are asked to pick our favorite dancers, I want Evan Kasprzak or Janette Manrara to win. Why? Evan is a pasty nerd; short; and not very camera-friendly. He’s a lot like me when I was younger, so I’m voting for him. Why Janette? This one’s easy. She’s far and away the sexiest dancer on the show, so I’m voting for her.

Equal Prize Money for Men and Women: I’m surprised Women and/or Civil Rights and/or Union attorneys haven’t sued or pressured the producers because of the $50,000 prize money awarded last season. If the producers want to separate out, and award prize money, to the winners based on sex; that’s fine; but they can’t create an obvious financial inequity payout in the process. The show’s premise is that a female and male dancer must be voted off each week until the finals. Why change the format just for the finals? Wouldn’t it make more sense to continue what was started; e.g., see it through to the very end; for example, to crown both a female dancer and a male dancer; and then pay them equal prize money? Yeah, I’m a bleeding heart liberal, I know, but since the rules allow for it, and the rationale provided for last year $50,000 prize was based on sex, my suggestion is in harmony with what was started last year, and is certainly more politically correct, legally prudent, and forward thinking than the current system.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 07-16-2009 at 04:31 AM.

Was I the only one who thought Jeanine/Jason's piece was just good? After I was done watching the dance, I thought, "Alright, they danced it well. Travis did a pretty good job, but the judges are probably going to congratulate him nonstop, being a former contestant and all. As for Jeanine and Jason, the judges are probably going to give them a few critiques about being a little clumsy with the necklace but are probably going to praise them about the chemistry that they found so quickly."

But to my surprise, that didn't happen. The praise was universal for everyone involved; they even stood it up! I was actually really shocked. And so I came here to see what everyone else thought, and it turns out that everyone else loved the dance also. I'm almost always the one with the unpopular opinion, but I think I truly stand on my own with this one.

I'm not saying it was bad. Like I said, I thought it was a good piece when I was done watching it. But I didn't think it would receive this much praise. And not to mention that I like Jeanine and Jason. They would tie with Janette as my favorites behind Kayla and Melissa. I'm just a little taken aback, that's all.

liedenfrost, I love your posts. I especially loved the one about Shane Sparks a few weeks ago. But about the male/female winner, the main premise of the show is to find America's Favorite Dancer. The premise isn't eliminating a girl and a guy each week. That's just how the eliminations work. The dancers do dance in couples, but those couples eventually disintegrate and the game turns into an individual one. Even though a member of each sex gets eliminated each week, they're still competing against everyone else. They're not playing a competition within their own sex. As much as I love her, Katee should consider herself lucky that the producers decided to change to rules, starting with her season.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3577575;
    Was I the only one who thought Jeanine/Jason's piece was just good?
    No, I also didn't think it lived up to the hype by spoiler or with the judges comments. It was basically dancing sex and not much more. I wasn't impressed. I don't like when songs are taken so literal, dangling heart, seriously? I couldn't stop staring at the stupid thing and it really ruined the routine for me.

Another thing I couldn't stop staring at were Kayla's feet....was she or was she not wearing shoes? I knew she was but couldn't see them, missed most of the routine trying to find her shoes.

What did impress me was Ade and Janette. Now that was awesome dancing! I wanted to jump up and down and give them a standing ovation. They deserved one, so did Napoleon and Tabitha for finally doing something I actually liked. Loved everything about it, from the magical pick to the characters they were playing and can we get rid of Mary and have Debbie Allen as the permanent judge?

The best solos of the night were Evan (I see big bro did send him off to the majors with some great routines) and Ade. I stayed up late just to catch Ade's solo because last week's impressed me so much.

Nobody else stood out for me in a great way last night, matter of fact I've ready forgotten them all except for how horrible Kupono and Randi were in their routine. Heading home!

Ade is by far my favorite male this season with Janette and Jeanine tied for my favorite female. It took me this long to finally zero in on some dancers I actually want to see win. I think the final 4 should be Janette, Jeanine, Ade, and Brandon but I see Evan knocking a much more deserving male out of that slot.

Finally, I don't like the way this show boots the bottom girl and the bottom boy. What if the girls are getting votes way above the guys? That means that a very popular girl could go home over a boy that didn't get anywhere near her votes. I wish there was a way for the show to work around that.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 07-16-2009 at 07:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread