+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This season vs. previous seasons - WOW

FORT Fanatic
    Oregon-moved to Calif for school- finished school, still in CA

Re: This season vs. previous seasons - WOW

I mostly post in a different Forum, but I love this show. After watching the routines last night from S4, I recognized the lack of really memorable ones from this season. The only one I really liked was the Butt routine.

I get tired of the judges pushing their own favorites during their critiques, thinking this will influence the voters. I don't think it does. Nigel is right - it is the choreography. Some of the choreographers were really trying too hard and Nigel commented a lot about them (think slow Russian folk dance). His comment last night asked us to consider the whole season when voting. Well - who is going to do that? This year's dances have been pretty unforgetable to remember what they did early on.

I liked Melissa because she came a long way and did pretty well in other genres - that showed growth. Same with Evan. Brandon is just down right great. I never did warm to Kayla.

Thanks for letting me put my .02 in.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3626186;
    My favorite routine this season is Kayla/Max's Samba by Louis. And with that routine being in the Top20 performance show, I think that just shows how meh this season has been.
    Agreed... on all points. A real letdown after that opening show of the competition phase.

My other favorite for the season is Janette and Brandon doing Argentine Tango on the July 8 show.

That's it. For me just these two memorable standouts over the entire season, interestingly both in Latin Ballroom styles.

Two routines I can recall, the entire season! Although I will add in this week's "Send In The Clowns" group number which really moved me, and in fact many of the group numbers have been really excellent.

But for me all the hip-hop has been dreck, and all the disco has been meh (with Kayla and Brandon being heavy and thick... as has been mentioned trick, on to next trick, shimmy, trick, etc.) although Janette's was acceptable and enjoyable.

Nothing memorable for me on the contemporary or jazz side. Even Broadway has been just okay. I found myself growing tired of Evan's Astaire-like mannerisms and facial expressions in his solos which seemed on a continuous loop from week to week, and also surprisingly disappointed in the Broadway duet numbers.

Let's hope Season 6 gets back to the contestant quality of past seasons. Hope we find another Katee.

FORT Regular

I still love Season 5 - and 4 too. This season has been only ok. I did have a few memorable routines....I loved Kapuno's and Kayla's "addiction" routine...and the contemporary by Janine and Evan. I did also like Evan and that cute blonde (name??) doing the butt routine.

I totally agree with you all. This season has just not been that great IMO. I don't think these dancers are any better than last season, in fact I think last season's dancers were much better, especially in terms of the personality they brought to the stage. I bet if Katee or Courtney or Chelsea had competed this year instead of last (especially Katee), that they would be far and away the best of the dancers this summer. I'm just not feeling it this year, and SYTYCD is my favorite reality show to watch. Where are the great routines like Mercy (the door), Bleeding Love, The Bed (Twitch & Kherrington), Joshua and Katee's Bollywood Dance. There were SO MANY memorable routines last year, that not only incorporated great choreography, but the dancers brought them to life. It's just not here this summer at all in comparison. Maybe they are saving up for Fall's season, since this will be the first year they'll be on during a regular season?

FORT Fogey

I just rewatched the whole season (except for the June 24th show which my DVR missed.) Some observations:
    • The first few weeks were an cornucopia of incredible dances. Perhaps one reason why people are feeling a bit letdown now is because the best stuff came early.
    • Brandon and Jeanette never made a single misstep. Every routine was perfect. From their acting, to their performance energy, to their technique - it is one of the best runs any couple has ever had on this show.
    • Melissa and Ade were not far behind. Thier first Mandy Moore jazz was great, their slow waltz, the pas de deux all wonderful.
    • Randi and Evan were a powerhouse the first three weeks, then faded a bit. But to the end they remain one of the best pairings of the season.
    • Jeanine was weighted down by her partnership with Phillip. She had nothing memorable (in a good way) until the Travis Wall contemporary. She was doing good work, but it was buried under a poor partners and a string of lackluster choreography.
    • Kayla is another dancer that has not faltered once in any style this season. She has been phenomenal in each number, both in her technique and in bringing her characters to life.

Obviously partners and choreography play an important part in all this. But still over the course of a season (if the dancer lasts long enough) I think you can get a good feel for how they can take what is thrown at them. For me, Brandon, Kayla, and Janette stand head and shoulders above the others. Melissa, Ade, and Jeanine come right behind them.

In addition to the top dancers, there were some dancers that didn't last as long that delivered some of those amazing early routines that I hope will be recognized on Thursday night:
    • Asuka and Vitolio's slow "Enya" waltz by Louis van Amstel is one of the most movingly beautiful pieces of the year. I hope they reprise the number this week.
    • Jonathon and Karla's contemporary "Falling Slowly" number by Stacey Tookey was on the same show and just brilliantly conceived and danced. Jonathon in particular was so unexpected and natural in that routine.

Nvm, I was responding to something I misread.
    Last edited by mesachick; 08-02-2009 at 06:09 PM.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3632728;
    I just rewatched the whole season (except for the June 24th show which my DVR missed.) Some observations:
    • The first few weeks were an cornucopia of incredible dances. Perhaps one reason why people are feeling a bit letdown now is because the best stuff came early.
    • Brandon and Jeanette never made a single misstep. Every routine was perfect. From their acting, to their performance energy, to their technique - it is one of the best runs any couple has ever had on this show.
    • Melissa and Ade were not far behind. Thier first Mandy Moore jazz was great, their slow waltz, the pas de deux all wonderful.
    I may be in the minority, but I think this season is as good as any others, especially earlier in the season when most the dances were great.

I think some of the best partnerships existed this season, Brandon and Jeanette, Melissa and Ade, Randy and Evan. They just worked really well together and carried off a lot of performances.

As in every season, pieces are as memorable as they affect the viewer, so I don't really by the "there aren't as many memorable pieces." Cause I can name 10 of the bat that were fantastic.

I also wanted to mention that these dancers have by far the busiest work schedule of the past seasons from what I remember. I dont remeber so many group by gender dances, so they've been doing 5-6 dance numbers per week.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I’m a little late weighing in here, but I have a theory. From the start of when this season aired, there was a rumor that SYTYCD might get picked up for the fall season. And it did. I figured they probably knew that there was a chance it would. Therefore, they probably would prefer to have stronger dancers in the fall season than in the summer season, since they should get higher numbers of viewers in the fall. I wonder about the one very strong dancer they wanted to invite to the top 20, but they couldn’t get him out of his contract. Maybe they didn’t try very hard. Will his contract be up in time for him to participate in the fall season? Likewise, the choreographers may be saving their stronger numbers for the fall season too. The selection of 2nd tier dancers might have been a risky move since I believe the show wasn’t picked up for fall until after the top 20 were selected. But maybe they had good inside information that the chances were very good.

Anyway, it’s just a theory. Here’s to hoping that SYTYCD Season 6 will be one of the best!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3634315;
    ...Therefore, they probably would prefer to have stronger dancers in the fall season than in the summer season, since they should get higher numbers of viewers in the fall....
    Could be. They were in Vegas last week, and the top 20 haven't leaked yet. But I do know of three dancers that went to Vegas that were pretty amazing. One of them, Jacob Karr, I have been watching since he was 17 (search you tube for "Jakob Karr-Elephant In The Room" to see him working in the studio). And then there's Alex Wong, who you mentioned, and Alex's Miami ballet comrad Jeremy Cox. There's also Evan's brother who we know went to Vegas. So, I don't know if there was any "holding back" going on, but there was a good mix to pick from last week.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I'm up to the 2nd performance show of the 2nd season now (reminder: I never saw season 2 at all).

I'm starting to see why this season is so popular with people who have seen every season.

The dancing really was excellent.

And the choreography was very fresh & interesting.

It is, however, reinforcing in me that a lot of the dullness of this current season is due to dull & inappropriate choreography.

Inappropriate in that earlier seasons, it was both obvious and spoken that the choreographers created routines that were interesting and somewhat challenging, but also geared toward the STRENGTHS of the dancers themselves.

I still firmly believe that this current season is chock-full of choreographers doing things for themselves and not looking seriously at the particular strengths & weaknesses of their assigned dancers.

Prime example of a good routine geared toward both dancer strength and toward memorable performance: Mia's Koop Island Blues (Butt Dance) for Evan & Randi. Prime example of a routine designed for choreographer ego and not toward the strength of assigned dancers: Joey's Rich Man's Frug, again for Evan and Randi.

A prime example of an excellent routine as far as choreographer's job in making a routine challenging, entertaining & yet appropriate for assigned dancers: Tyce's Moses Supposes Broadway routine for Philip & Jeanine. I wasn't commenting heavily back when it first aired, but I thought Philip hit that routine much better & harder than the judges gave him credit for. But in all, it was a great routine that was well suited to both dancers and yet made the choreographer shine.

There were at least 2 dancers who could have been thrown any kind of dance, any style, no matter how well or how inappropriately geared toward their strengths and done excellent - and I firmly believe that was Kayla & Jeanette. Yes, I love Evan and am still rooting for him as I have all along. But with the possible misstep of the "quick!dance!quick!DoATric k!" disco for Kayla this past week, neither of them were given anything they couldn't do and do excellent. I might put Brandon a little bit toward the end of that list, and maybe even Melissa.

But overall, I still am blaming choreography for the overall lack of shine on this season.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast