+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This season vs. previous seasons - WOW

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: This season vs. previous seasons - WOW

I was glad to see that other people here thought the same thing that I did about this season. Not only am I really attached to any of the dancers, they just don't seem as good to me. And I don't understand why the judges seem to love everyone and are constantly saying how much better they are than previous seasons.

Also, just a completely random question...why Tyce is teaching his routines, he always has other dancers with him. One of them looks like Lauren from season 3 (I think), is that her? Anyone know or anyone else notice?

If I had to rank the seasons, it would probably go like...

2 > 3 > 1 > 4 > 5

S2 and S3 are pretty interchangeable though since they were the definition of awesome. I forget S1, but I'm watching a few clips on YouTube, the choreography was great. Even the dances that I'm not liking that much have been better than the current season's choreography. Plus, it's the season that drew me into the show in the first place.

I would say that S4 and S5 are on the same level, since both had so-so choreography. But the thing is, S4 had way more memorable routines than this current season is going to have IMO. And the outstanding routines of S4 are better than the outstanding routines of S5.

Absolutely no dances this season have given me goosebumps, except the one time when Kayla stuck her hand in the air and Kupono held it back during the addiction piece. I don't want to judge a dance on whether I get goosebumps or not, but when I get them, that's when I know a dance is amazing.

But that's not my main problem with this season. Like I said, I don't judge a dance on whether I get goosebumps or not; they just happen naturally. My main problem with this season is chemistry. There weren't any Katua's or Marksie's or even any Gev/Courtney's. Pretty much all of them were mixmatched, and I felt that we couldn't really connect with most of them as couples like we have with Katee/Joshua. Part of that blame falls within the cast itself; maybe they just didn't mesh well together. Whatever the reason is, the chemistry was just off.

Asuka/Vitolio didn't get their chemistry until the week when she was eliminated. I didn't see much of a connection between Kayla/Max until he was eliminated and she broke down and cried. Kupono admitted that he and Ashley never found that connection. There was something off with Jason/Caitlin and Jonathan/Karla. Phillip/Jeanine meshed well together socially, but dancing-wise, he held her down. I think the only fine couples were Evan/Randi, Brandon/Janette, and Melissa/Ade (I'm not including Tony/Paris since they were only there for a week). But even they don't amount to the likes of the couples in S4. Even Matt/Kourtni were a good couple that seemed to mesh better together than the 3 couple I named.

So yeah, that's my main complaint with this season. The choreography has been meh, and the chemistry is way off.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I hate to admit it, but I don't think this season is on a par with last season or even the season prior.

I'm just not seeing that many memorable dances. DancERS, yes - the personalities & styles on this season are up there with seasons prior, IMHO.

But I'm starting to strongly suspect the choreography.

Could it be the choreographers themselves are burning out a bit? "Bleeding Love" was great - and NappyTabs seem to be trying to recapture the feel of that over and over, and it's not working (pregnant dance? Uhmmmm....)

Maybe it's time for some new blood on the choreography tip.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3624871;
    I hate to admit it, but I don't think this season is on a par with last season or even the season prior...I'm just not seeing that many memorable dances. DancERS, yes - the personalities & styles on this season are up there with seasons prior, IMHO. But I'm starting to strongly suspect the choreography...Maybe it's time for some new blood on the choreography tip.
    I'm always up for new choreographers. I think that newcomers like Travis Wall, Louis Van Amstel and Stacy Tookey have contributed some of the strongest routines this year.

Keep in mind that it's hard to judge a season when you are still inside it. I think every year people say that the current season is crap. My guess is that as time passes we forget the dreck, but remember only the outstanding pieces, until eventually a season is defined in our mind only by it's best parts.

What if your only memories of Season Five were these numbers:
    • Kayla/Brandon - (Contemporary) by Stacy Tookey All I Want
    • Melissa and Ade (Contemporary) by Tyce DiOrio - Women’s Work
    • Jeanine and Jason (Contemporary) by Travis Wall If It Kills Me
    • Kayla/Kupono (Contemporary) by Mia Michaels "Addiction"
    • Brandon/Janette (Jazz) by Wade Robson "Theives"
    • Melissa and Ade (Pas De Duex) by Thordal Christensen
    • Randi and Evan - (Contemporary) by Mia Michaels "Butt Dance"
    • Randi and Evan - (Jazz) Tyce DiOrio - I Only Have Eyes For You
    • Caitlin & Jason – (Bollywood) Nikuul - Jai Ho

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3624871;
    I hate to admit it, but I don't think this season is on a par with last season or even the season prior.

I'm just not seeing that many memorable dances. DancERS, yes - the personalities & styles on this season are up there with seasons prior, IMHO.

But I'm starting to strongly suspect the choreography.

Could it be the choreographers themselves are burning out a bit? "Bleeding Love" was great - and NappyTabs seem to be trying to recapture the feel of that over and over, and it's not working (pregnant dance? Uhmmmm....)

Maybe it's time for some new blood on the choreography tip.

I definitely agree. I think there are plenty of good dancers....Brandon's solo last night was amazing! But I think you're right about the choreography, it just isn't there this year . It's got to be hard coming up with enough knock-out dances to fill a season, but we haven't even seen enough to fill a single episode this year! Of course we watch to see great performances, but I'm not enough of an expert to notice if someone's toe is turned out when it should be turned in....I want to see great dancers dancing to awesome routines. When I saw the live tour last year, there were multiple routines I knew I wanted to see again, and was hoping would be on the tour...I'm having a hard time thinking of many memorable routines this year....and it's through no fault of the dancers.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3625074;
    I'm always up for new choreographers. I think that newcomers like Travis Wall, Louis Van Amstel and Stacy Tookey have contributed some of the strongest routines this year.

Keep in mind that it's hard to judge a season when you are still inside it. I think every year people say that the current season is crap. My guess is that as time passes we forget the dreck, but remember only the outstanding pieces, until eventually a season is defined in our mind only by it's best parts.

What if your only memories of Season Five were these numbers:
    • Kayla/Brandon - (Contemporary) by Stacy Tookey All I Want
    • Melissa and Ade (Contemporary) by Tyce DiOrio - Women’s Work
    • Jeanine and Jason (Contemporary) by Travis Wall If It Kills Me
    • Kayla/Kupono (Contemporary) by Mia Michaels "Addiction"
    • Brandon/Janette (Jazz) by Wade Robson "Theives"
    • Melissa and Ade (Pas De Duex) by Thordal Christensen
    • Randi and Evan - (Contemporary) by Mia Michaels "Butt Dance"
    • Randi and Evan - (Jazz) Tyce DiOrio - I Only Have Eyes For You
    • Caitlin & Jason – (Bollywood) Nikuul - Jai Ho
    My problems is that I don't even remember these numbers. Where as I can remember a lot more from last season and even the other previous seasons. It might be that none of the dancers this season have really stuck with me. Some of them have personality, but there are none that I like enough to vote for.

My favorite routine this season is Kayla/Max's Samba by Louis. And with that routine being in the Top20 performance show, I think that just shows how meh this season has been.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I think what it comes down to, and others have mentioned it, is the lack of real chemistry between couples. Melissa and Ade have it and that's about it (with apologies, I never liked Randi much, so she and Evan didn't do too much for me). Jeanine and Jason ramped it up some and then he was sent home. Everyone else....

Great dancers, ok choreography and very little sizzle.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;3626194;
    I think what it comes down to, and others have mentioned it, is the lack of real chemistry between couples. Melissa and Ade have it and that's about it (with apologies, I never liked Randi much, so she and Evan didn't do too much for me). Jeanine and Jason ramped it up some and then he was sent home. Everyone else....

Great dancers, ok choreography and very little sizzle.
    Yay, I'm glad someone agrees with me about the chemistry!

I would say, though, that the one couple that had the most chemistry was Brandon/Janette. But even they don't compare to past seasons' couples.

I also made the point in the discussion thread that the strongest point of this season is how close the competition is. I have no clue who would win if it were a F4 with Jeanine, Evan, Brandon, and Kayla. I would say Jeanine has the best chance, but only by a slim margin.

But this season's dancers are probably so close because there really aren't much standouts. Great dancers, yes, but are there really any dancers that most of us truly love? Not really. I mean, I really like Kayla, but I don't love her on the level that I did with Katee.

Like Nigel said last week, it's the choreogprahy that is the main point of the competition. People vote for the dances that they like (which is why Jason was saved in Top10 week, and why Melissa/Ade survived last week).

But the choreography has also been pretty weak compared to past seasons'. Like everyone has said, the standout routines of this season don't really compare to the standout routines of other seasons. So with these dancers' lives depending on meh choreography, that just shows how this season is the worst yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3626305;
    Yay, I'm glad someone agrees with me about the chemistry!

I would say, though, that the one couple that had the most chemistry was Brandon/Janette. But even they don't compare to past seasons' couples.
    Very true, they did have good chemistry - as an equal partnership. Still not up to Lacey/Danny, Joshua/Katee, Mark/Chelsie standards though...
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast