+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This season vs. previous seasons - WOW

Re: This season vs. previous seasons - WOW

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3574112;
    I love all the dances on your list. Maybe the group routine you are remembering is Mia Michael's "The Moment I Said It" by Imogen Heap. Do a Google search for "SYTYCD 3 - Group Contemporary" and you should find it.
    oh you're right...I saw Lauren and Pasha and immediately thought of their hip hop (was it a Shane Sparks?). Anyway, both routines were great!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

OMG - that Mia Michaels group routine KILLED ME.

That Danny was one hell of a dancer, wasn't he???

I also love a lot of those dances you mentioned. I was never super crazy about the table dance, but I did acknowledge it was a good routine & performance.

There were others that I really liked, such as the "birdish" number with Pasha & Jessie (I loved Jessie and hated what happened to her), the Sonya-choreographed one with Mark and... See, I told you I'm horrible at remembering names/details. I don't remember the girl's name.

LOL - I loved everything with Mark. And his first partner, the blonde whose name I can't remember, either (they did the "Bleeding love" routine). And the group routine that was like a dark carnival with him as ringmaster was just awesome.

I loved that season. My husband wanted to take me to see the tour but we opted instead for a trip on a dinner train around the same time for our 10th wedding anniversary. OMG - this isn't the forum for the story behind the "Train Wreck of a Train Trip" that turned out to be. But suffice it to say, we SOOOOOOOOO should have gone to see the tour instead, and it's one reason I'm loathe to miss it this year.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I just remembered African themed the group routine that they did in Season 3... They had a big piece of fabric that was used as a prop. That one was AWESOME... and it was great on the tour also.

And FierceCritter... I agree, those routines with Mark were very good. Kupono reminds me of Mark a little...

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3575801;
    That Danny was one hell of a dancer, wasn't he???
    Yes, yes he was .... Hip Hip Chin Chin with Lacey is smoking hot, check that one if you haven't yet. Dmitry (S2) choreographed it.

There were others that I really liked, such as the "birdish" number with Pasha & Jessie (I loved Jessie and hated what happened to her)
    Jesse got a raw deal...it's was a shame

the Sonya-choreographed one with Mark and... See, I told you I'm horrible at remembering names/details. I don't remember the girl's name.
    Courtney - She was the in the top 4 with Joshua, Katee, and Twitch. Cute as all get out.

LOL - I loved everything with Mark. And his first partner, the blonde whose name I can't remember, either (they did the "Bleeding love" routine). And the group routine that was like a dark carnival with him as ringmaster was just awesome.
    Chelsie Hightower. Amazing dancer. She's now on DWTS as a professional and did an wonderful job with Ty, Jewel's husband.

LOL - I have now realized I know far too much trivia on this show.... Time for more coffee!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

FORT Fogey

I loved the Butterfly routine with Hok - the most amazing mastery of ones body I'd ever seen. The bench routine was the first real contemporary dance that I really liked, and finally realized that it should tell a story, and seeing the bumping down the bench seemed so unreal that their bodies would do that made it special for me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3577634;
    I just remembered African themed the group routine that they did in Season 3... They had a big piece of fabric that was used as a prop. That one was AWESOME... and it was great on the tour also.
    Ahh.. that was Tyce's Lioness Hunt from The Lion King. Much more "theatricalized" than the authentic piece we saw last night - but I think it's the best thing he's ever done on the show. If you haven't seen it, you should be able to find it by searching you tube for "Lion King Group".

Continuing on the theme of past routines we loved - I think I'm in the super-minority of those who loved - or even liked - the fox & cub routine with Sabra & Lacey, I forget the choreographer.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3578457;
    Continuing on the theme of past routines we loved - I think I'm in the super-minority of those who loved - or even liked - the fox & cub routine with Sabra & Lacey, I forget the choreographer.
    That was Wade, and I liked it too. He took a lot of ribbing for that number. The only thing I would fault him for was that at that point in the competition (finals) it was not the kind of routine that would make people pick up the phone. But I thought it was so interesting and a great interpretation of an animal pair. I also liked depicting the relationship and getting beyond the typical romantic duo. I think a lot of single mothers could actually relate to that little slice of woodland life. Sort of "She Works Hard For the Money" translated to the animal kindgom.

If you want to see the routine, search google for "Sabra and Lacey baby and mama fox".

So I've got 2 out of 12 episodes of the 1st season left to watch.

Wow. What a noticeable improvement in dancing. They really started earning their spots on the show - FINALLY.

Nick, Ashley, Blake (duh) most of all. I never really got into Melody, even though I am fully aware she ends up a finalist.

I'm really appalled at how Jamile ended up staying over Artem.

That said, it's interesting how frequently they changed format over the course of that first year. Thank goodness they retooled everything for the 2nd season and seasons after.

I actually started re-watching these episodes with the original intent of just watching the 2nd season, which I never saw except for a few snippets on Youtube. I watched season 1 when it originally aired, and in re-watching, I can see why I didn't think Season 2 would be worth watching:

1) The horrible, tedious, boring repeat of dances. Ugh.
    2) The hostess. Ugh. I can't put my finger on what about Lauren Sanchez is so unlikeable, but I just couldn't stand her.
    3) The WORDINESS. The amount of fast-forwarding I'm doing seeing Lauren Sanchez just go on and on and on...
    4) The cramming together of elimination/performance. Thank goodness they doubled the number of episodes each season and split up performance/elimination shows.
    5) The booing audience - it's like they were using American Idol and the tendency to boo Simon Cowell as a basis of how to react.

All of that together made me not give the 2nd season a chance. I don't recall what it was that had me give it another chance with season 3, but I'm glad I did.

By the way, saw the first-ever Mary Scream. LOL EVERYONE recoiled from her when she did that the first couple times.

FORT Fogey

Re: Artem

Think about it: Artem, Dimitry, Pasha, Max - what's with those Russian ballroom dancers? My theory: the more vodka the better you dance. At least that's been my experience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast