+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This season vs. previous seasons - WOW

Re: This season vs. previous seasons - WOW

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyL;3571070;
    To me, seasons 2 and 3 were the best. Last season disappointed. This year is shaping up as my third fave. I actually love most of the remaining dancers. Some of the choreography hasn't been my cup of tea. Some of it has been great. I think the choreography is disappointing me more than the dancers, but it's all very subjective. I'm already to the point where I don't want to part with any of the dancers.

I wish DVD's of the complete seasons would be made available. I would gladly purchase 2 and 3. Does anyone know if Fox plans to release anything like this?
    I agree with you. The choreography is the most important part of the show. If you don't have many great routines throughout the season, then the season isn't going to be as enjoyable. I liked S4, it was good enough. But S2 and S3 were top notch. Since it has been a while, I can't remember many of the dances, but I do remember thoroughly enjoyed many of the pieces of those seasons. S4 had some good routines, but not as many those seasons.

This season is on par with S4. It has had good shows (Top20, Top14), and it has had bad shows (Top18, Top16). I hope the choreographers step up their game on the future shows.

I don't know anything about a future DVD release, but I would love to get my hands on some, complete with commentary and such. I doubt FOX would release anything though.

And as for the bench routine, you definitely had to see it on TV, right when it aired. S2 was relatively new, and many people didn't really watch dancing before the show started (including me). So when something like that bench routine happened, I just got blown away.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I think there's a good reason why the bench routine and others aren't impressing you now.

When I first saw them, it was after an ok 1st season. The 2nd season was enormously better as far as talent and execution. There was just this excitement watching it all happen. So my enjoyment of these routines is enhanced by the memories of watching them the first time.

Watching season 2 routines after having seen routines from seasons 3 & 4 - I think anyone without any emotional attachment would be left wondering why these are considered above average?
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;3572518;
    I think there's a good reason why the bench routine and others aren't impressing you now.... Watching season 2 routines after having seen routines from seasons 3 & 4 - I think anyone without any emotional attachment would be left wondering why these are considered above average?
    So I'm hearing a new theory as to why we are not yet wowed by Season 5 dances: we (the audience) have changed. We have raised our expectations. We expect each season to top the one before.

Are we fondly remembering the best of previous seasons and expecting each new routine to come up to the level of "Bleeding Love" and "The Bench" and "Hip-hip Chin-chin"? To quote Shakespeare: The fault lies not in our stars but in ourselves.

Our expectations may be a little too high. Like you said, we expect fantastic dances after witnessing legendary dances like Benji/Heidi's Mambo, Lacey/Danny's HH, or Katee/Joshua's Samba (I honestly loved it more than No Air). And with our expectations so high, they're often not met. That's what happened to me with The Hangover. After hearing and reading very positive reviews for that movie and how funny it is, I was left very underwhelmed.

That was what made S1 a hit. If you watch some of the routines now, you probably won't be as impressed as you were back when you first watched it. But back then, we had no expectations. It was a fresh new show, and we didn't know what was coming. Take Nick/Melody's Broadway. I watched it again recently, and it wasn't as great as I remembered. But I remember being floored when I first watched it. It was new, it was fun, and it was something I hadn't seen before.

And with the people who hadn't watched S2, they were probably expecting the best.dance.ever. with the bench routine after all of the positive things said about that dance.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I think that's it exactly...you put it so much better than I did!

We've seen some truly beautiful, mesmerizing, fun routines.
    And we want more and better!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

(oops! hit post accidentally)

we want more and better and are frustrated when we see average routines by very good dancers.

But the dancers can only perform what they are given...and I'll say it again, the choreography this season overall is not up to the high standards.

Dave Scott needs to be on more for hiphop, the new Broadway choreographer needs to go, and please, please get Brian Freedman out of there!

FORT Newbie

Loved the Bench routine! And am I the only one that loved Benji? LOL

A few others: the table routine with Sabra and Neil, Danny and Anya's fox trot, Lacey and Neil in heaven with the flowers, the hummingbird thing with Hok, Steam Heat with Travis, the Neil/Danny number with the chairs. Sorry I can't remember all the names, etc. There's a bunch more that I can't remember--this is why I need DVD's. I know MTV ran some of the complete seasons last year. I should have recorded them. Maybe they will do that again.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3572377;
    I was just coming here to post the same thing.
    I never saw the first 3 seasons, so I decided to look up the Bench routine that everyone makes such a big fuss about. I don't get it
    It was total meh for me. Maybe because we didn't have the benifit of being attached to the performers?
    I only missed season 1... and while I liked the bench routine, I didn't think it was fabulous or anything... there really wasn't much true dancing in it.
    Some of my favorite routines from previous seasons are:
    Heidi & Benji West Coast Swing
    Ramalama Bing Bang group routine
    Top 4 Routine to SexyBack (Heidi, Benji, Donyelle & Travis)
    Pasha & Sara West Coast Swing
    Neil and Sabra - Table Routine
    Pasha & Sara Disco
    Benji & Donyelle - Too Much Booty
    Travis & Heidi Pasa Doble
    Last year's group Bollywood routine
    There was also a group routine in the Lauren/Pasha season that looked like something out of the Matrix... does anyone remember that one??

In general, I think the Group routines often outshine the duets.

I think that this season is shaping up nicely, and am enjoying it MUCH better than last season. I saw the tours for season 2 & 3, but didn't bother to buy tickets for last year's tour... I just didn't like the dancers and routines enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3573967;
    I only missed season 1... and while I liked the bench routine, I didn't think it was fabulous or anything... there really wasn't much true dancing in it.
    Some of my favorite routines from previous seasons are:
    Heidi & Benji West Coast Swing
    Ramalama Bing Bang group routine
    Top 4 Routine to SexyBack (Heidi, Benji, Donyelle & Travis)
    Pasha & Sara West Coast Swing
    Neil and Sabra - Table Routine
    Pasha & Sara Disco
    Benji & Donyelle - Too Much Booty
    Travis & Heidi Pasa Doble
    Last year's group Bollywood routine
    There was also a group routine in the Lauren/Pasha season that looked like something out of the Matrix... does anyone remember that one??
    Oh you hit some of my all-time favorites! the one with Lauren and Pasha was what they called "Transformers" (I think) - very cool! Also loved Pasha and Sara's WCS - and I will give props to Benji for that choreography - excellent.

I remember Sabra and Neil's table dance - I was giggling like a fool when watching that- Loved it!

I can't wait to see the Ramalama number again for the 100th special. I saw a post somewhere that said they liked it even better than Thriller and I'd have to agree.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3573967;
    There was also a group routine in the Lauren/Pasha season that looked like something out of the Matrix... does anyone remember that one?
    I love all the dances on your list. Maybe the group routine you are remembering is Mia Michael's "The Moment I Said It" by Imogen Heap. Do a Google search for "SYTYCD 3 - Group Contemporary" and you should find it.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 07-15-2009 at 10:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast