+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This season vs. previous seasons - WOW

FORT Fogey

Re: This season vs. previous seasons - WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3570929;
    I'm still not sure I hit on what you were supposing, however, as far as the quality of the dancers...

I'm seeing less of that type of "perfection" this year, and I think it's a shame. The dancers are, I believe, high caliber. I think there are mistakes being made that either aren't allowing or pushing them to exhibit their best.
    It looks like we are seeing the same thing, but coming to differing conclusions as to the cause. If I understand correctly, you feel the slump in excellence is due to less than stellar choreography and the fact that most of the dances have been outside their specialty.

I think that's a good point. I'm really hoping that things pick up.

However, in addition to that, I still think that we have second-tier dancers here. For example in Mia and Wade's numbers last week we had great choreography. But the dancer's themselves didn't particularly blow me away. For example Brandon was great in Wade's routine. But I could see where Travis or Wade himself would have been much crisper more focused. Another example: Melissa was lovely in her ballet number, but that was not a performance that would go onstage at New York City Ballet or American Ballet Theater.

What I am missing is something like the Danny and Lacey samba you mentioned - where the dancers are obviously able to do so much more than just what the choreography requires.

Of course this is 100% subjective. But I really want someone to blow me away this year (and then break my heart when they don't win!) It hasn't happened yet.

FORT Newbie

To me, seasons 2 and 3 were the best. Last season disappointed. This year is shaping up as my third fave. I actually love most of the remaining dancers. Some of the choreography hasn't been my cup of tea. Some of it has been great. I think the choreography is disappointing me more than the dancers, but it's all very subjective. I'm already to the point where I don't want to part with any of the dancers.

I wish DVD's of the complete seasons would be made available. I would gladly purchase 2 and 3. Does anyone know if Fox plans to release anything like this?

I think I love season 3 the best - Pasha, Danny, Sabra, Neil, Sara - I mean it was all fantastic!

Season 2 was very good (Travis & Dmitry!!!) but I have to say Benji irritated me so badly it affected how I viewed the overall group. Last year's was very mixed. Joshua and Katee were so amazing, with Chelsie, Mark and Courtney doing some outstanding work, but I did feel the rest of group was lacking.

This year the field is so even...it's hard for me to pick favorites. I absolutely agree that the choreography is letting these dancers down. NappyTabs need to stop the uber-sappy stuff they're trying to pass off as "hip hop"! The Bleeding Love routine from last year was unique and I'm getting the feeling they're trying too hard to recreate it.

By now we should have quite a few memorable routines. Not too many yet for me.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

TC - I think we're thinking quite a bit alike, actually. I don't feel strongly that these dancers are a bit 2nd tier, but otherwise I do agree with you.

Gala - I agree so strongly with there not being too many memorable routines. Last couple years, there were quite a few I downloaded off YouTube to watch and re-watch. This year, I anticipated the same, but am sadly not seeing that many I'd go back and watch again and again.

Ya know, I didn't watch season 2, and I can't remember why. I think I was kinda disappointed by season 1, and now that I'm re-watching it, I can see why I didn't think season 2 was going to be that interesting. (Also after season 1, I think I didn't think it'd be back for another season after #2, so I didn't want to get interested and then get bummed when it got "canceled." I'm glad it improved and lives on!)

It's actually season 2 that I wanted to go back and watch, but decided to start with season 1 and just go from there.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3571460;
    It's actually season 2 that I wanted to go back and watch, but decided to start with season 1 and just go from there.
    You will get to see recreations of two Season 2 routines on the July 23 100th Anniversary show:
    • Ramalama - Wade Robson's first choreography on the show; kind of a Thriller-inspired undead group number. Much more fun than it sounds.
    • The Bench - Mia Michaels heartbreaking Emmy-winning piece for Travis and Heidi.

These two numbers really kicked up the bar for what could be done on this show. This was a turning point where the show become more than a dance competition - it was also a choreographer's showcase.

FierceCritter - I think you're going to be blown away by some of the routines during season 2! Of course the famous "bench" routine with Travis and Heidi is the most well-known because of Mia's Emmy. My distate for Benji aside, he and Travis had some great partnering moments as well as with Heidi. This was also the season of Wade's Ramalama Bang Bang routine - fantastic! And for pure eye candy, Dmitry.... Lots of people loved Allison - the umbrella routine with Ivan was magical. Enjoy!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I've watched YouTube videos of a very, very few Season 2 routines.

Including the bench routine.

I'll watch it again on the TV screen before I give final judgment. But you might be shocked to hear me say that, thusfar, I don't see what all the fuss was about.

I'll watch again and see if I was maybe in a bad mood the first time I watched it or something.

Ok. Watched it again. Twice. First, without the initial intro showing them working with Mia. Then with the intro.

I definitely need to see it on the TV set and not on a 3x5 square on my monitor.

I know a part of me is resisting hype. Because I think if I had watched that season from start to finish, I would have loved that. I think I still might, but it might require a little more investment in the dancers themselves.

FORT Fogey

Season 1, I loved Artem. His paso doble was wonderful! I also loved Snow.

The worst dance of the whole season was the one with Melanie and the big guy (Big Poppa? Big Daddy?).

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3572067;
    I've watched YouTube videos of a very, very few Season 2 routines.

Including the bench routine.

I'll watch it again on the TV screen before I give final judgment. But you might be shocked to hear me say that, thusfar, I don't see what all the fuss was about.

I'll watch again and see if I was maybe in a bad mood the first time I watched it or something.
    I was just coming here to post the same thing.
    I never saw the first 3 seasons, so I decided to look up the Bench routine that everyone makes such a big fuss about. I don't get it
    It was total meh for me. Maybe because we didn't have the benifit of being attached to the performers?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast