+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 7/2 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/2 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by WalaLang;3543141;
    Let me explain something. The judges have often made up their minds who they keep from past performances, a brilliant solo can change that?
    8:56 AM Jul 3rd
    Nigel is pretty up front every week as to how they made their decision. Based on the all those week by week comments, I think the question mark at the end of this tweet is a mistake. Because several times an ace solo HAS changed their minds and convinced them to hold on to a performer another week.

But it's clear they consider:
    • All the work a performer had done to this point
    • Whether they are improving week by week
    • What kind of work they are likely to do in the coming weeks
    • Do they have the personality to inspire voters
    • Then, after all that - does the solo change their mind.

For me, a fleeting tweet doesn't suddenly negate four years of judges decisions.

FORT Regular

I don't know if the "?" at the end of Nigel's tweet was a mistake just because of the tone of his other tweets. Besides, this comment also justified why they decided to keep Kayla despite her poor solo.

They shouldn't call it a "dance for you life" solo then. Something like "last chance dance" would do better (I know, lame name, but I can't really think of anything better right now ).
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3543319;
    If they were good in the past at some point, it can save them over somebody who has been consistently good and who has put out an amazing solo. Remind me again why they should even play the game and do a solo and why we should bother to vote?
    Fact: Someone who has been consistently good and liked by America wouldn't be in the bottom 3.

Fact: Why bother to vote? To keep your favorite dancers out of the bottom 3 and out of the mercy of the judges?

I've said it before and I'll say it again here. Let's not lose sight of the fact that the judges only choose out of the BOTTOM 3 that the VOTERS decide on. The judges can NOT boot someone they don't like if America likes them and keeps them out of the bottom 3. FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by superfly;3543608;
    I've said it before and I'll say it again here. Let's not lose sight of the fact that the judges only choose out of the BOTTOM 3 that the VOTERS decide on. The judges can NOT boot someone they don't like if America likes them and keeps them out of the bottom 3. FACT.
    Exactly I'm sure if the judges had complete control, the bottom 3 would have looked a lot different this week. Kayla and Kupono would definitely have been safe it it probably would have been Caitlin and Jason on their way home. Okay, maybe that's if I was in charge, but I think the judges would probably agree with that. At least if the audience gets it "wrong" at this point, the judges can eliminate someone who should go home rather than on, say, DWTS, where the audience makes the decision and a better dancer with a smaller fan base can get sent home.

The thing I find the most frustrating about this show is that, many times, the best dancers lose out to dancers who have a big fan base. For instance, NO ONE will ever be able to convince me that Benji is/was a better dancer than Travis: he just had more fangirls voting for him. I just have to remind myself that the show is about finding America's favorite dancer, not the best dancer, 'cause that's a different competition.

I thought the performances this week were much better than last week, but there are still some couples that aren't up to par. I'm hoping to see Caitlin and Jason go next week. At this point, they're ALL good dancers - better than good - but there are some who are just superior.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fact: Someone who has been consistently good and liked by America wouldn't be in the bottom 3.

Fact: Why bother to vote? To keep your favorite dancers out of the bottom 3 and out of the mercy of the judges?

I think you may have misunderstood me, only reason I can figure for the tone.....

Anyways.

I don't recall mentioning America and their voting (sorry if the post was somehow misleading/confusing), what I was saying is that going off the comments by Nigel the solos are pointless because the judges have already made up their minds before they even get to that point. I responded to that out of anger for the dancers who are putting their all into pointless solos.

I did think later that perhaps the question mark was a mistake and Nigel meant to say that the solos can change their minds. If that's the case then I'm happier with that because I like to think that they matter (yes, I live in a fantasy world sometimes lol).
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 07-05-2009 at 06:20 AM.

FORT Fogey

Yes, that is the theory, but it is not always true that the most popular dancers get the most votes; and it becomes less true each week that goes by as well-liked dancers are competing against each other for votes.

People liking a dancer (or couple) only means that they are likely to vote for that person, if they vote at all. How that goodwill translates into actual votes is more complicated because it is influenced by what else is going on in the show.

One of the biggest factors is how the fans perceive who needs their vote. The web site What Not To Sing has coined the phrase "Mighty Mouse Syndrome" ("Here I come to save the day!") to describe this phenomenon.

The scenario: "Couple A" with fans has a bad week and is panned by the judges. "Couple B" with fans does well and is praised by the judges. The fans rush to their phones to save couple A who is perceived to be in danger, and do not vote for couple B who is perceived to be safe. Couple B ends up in the bottom three and the judges marvel on the results show as to how this happened.

That happened this week with Jason and Caitlin being safe, in spite of the fact that they had the worst reviews and that off-putting routine and costume. Their fans got the "danger" signal. Consequently, Phillip and Jeanine fell into the bottom. Trust me, Phillip has fans. They just assumed he was safe. This is also what kept Cedric going in Season 3 through several weeks of scathing reviews. (Once Nigel even predicted Cedric's demise would be that week, but the voters kept Cedric out of the bottom three so Nigel couldn't follow through on his prediction/threat.)

On American Idol we saw that happen this year on Top Five night when front-runners Adam Lambert and Kris Allen (both thought to be safe) ended up in the bottom three as voters rushed to save Allison Iraheta who was perceived to be in danger.

So, I think that how much people like a dancer (i.e. the size and power of their fan base) is certainly the biggest factor in the voting; but it's not the only factor.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 07-05-2009 at 10:50 AM.

^And it probably means that Caitlin/Jason will end up at the bottom next week, unless they get a totally amazing routine and end up with the "pimp spot." But they always end up with wacky, not-so-great routines (aside from the Bollywood), so that would come as a surprise. Who wants to take bets that they'll get a broadway or a foxtrot next week, and end up going first or near-first?

It also means that Phillip/Jeanine are safe. Fans don't want to see them at the bottom again. I think these two can end up as another Martha/Travis from S2 in that one of them starts off more popular (Martha, Phillip), but the other one becomes more of a favorite as time passes (Travis, Jeanine). Jeanine won me over with her solo, so I'm thinking she has swayed others' opinions also.

It would be oh-so-wonderful if Evan/Randi, Melissa/Ade, and Brandon/Janette are the B3 next week. It won't happen, but it would be so unexpected.

And even though the judges are pretty much set in their opinion on who to eliminate, it's not like the solos are totally useless. If they're unsure, then a good solo may sway their opinion. For example, Caitlin saved herself 2 weeks ago with an awesome solo, and Asuka (a judges' favorite, IMO) was eliminated instead. And if Karla were eliminated instead of Asuka, then Asuka/Vitolio would have gotten the quickstep in the "pimp spot" and probably could have avoided the B3.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3543671;
    The thing I find the most frustrating about this show is that, many times, the best dancers lose out to dancers who have a big fan base. For instance, NO ONE will ever be able to convince me that Benji is/was a better dancer than Travis: he just had more fangirls voting for him. I just have to remind myself that the show is about finding America's favorite dancer, not the best dancer, 'cause that's a different competition.
    I'm definitely not a fangirl. I liked Travis, but I definitely preferred Benji. It all just boils down to which style you like and whose personality clicks with you.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat;3540629;
    In that opening number who was the blond girl wearing the flesh colored costume? When I first saw her I thought she was neked!! LOL
    That costume was VERY distracting. The other girls were all covered up, and she looked like she was almost nude. It really looked out of place. The costume people made a goof there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast