+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 6/25 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/25 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebella;3527505;
    You would think so...the dancers choreograph their own solos, right?
    Yes they do. You can tell by the mistakes some have made, most notably, overdoing it to cram in everthing they can. If they are going to be eliminated or saved on the strength of their solo, it has to be their creation.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3527558;
    Yes they do. You can tell by the mistakes some have made, most notably, overdoing it to cram in everthing they can. If they are going to be eliminated or saved on the strength of their solo, it has to be their creation.
    That is one of the reasons I am crossing my fingers and hoping that Evan's brother (Ryan?) gets into the fall season. I think he would have great solos, if he ever got into the bottom. Also, since they sometimes have former contestants involved with choreography (like Benji) I would love to see Ryan choreograph some Broadway numbers rather than Tice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3527373;
    I was sorry to see Asuka go, too, but I knew she would. Nigel is taking no prisoners in the solo judging. A ballroom dancer just cannot survive that round doing the kind of solo's they all do. They remind me of the Martin Short character, Ed Grimly. They remain upright and work their feet and legs like mad as if dancing 1/2 of a crazyass ballroom routine.

Since we have seen they are able to do other styles it would behoove them to have a contemporary routine ready for that solo.
    Yes, but isn't the solo supposed to be danced in their own style? I've heard some negative comments if they don't.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3527869;
    Yes, but isn't the solo supposed to be danced in their own style? I've heard some negative comments if they don't.
    Yea, if she tried to do a contemporary solo and bombed then the judges would say "We don't understand why you didn't perform a solo in your specialty". It can end up being a lose-lose proposition for the ballroom dancers. I think it would be interesting if they had the option to choreograph a pairs routine for their "dance for your life" bit. It would let the ballroom people really show off their skill AND I think it would probably be used sparingly in the other styles because it would be challenge for them to make they were highlighting themselves over the other person.

It's hard for ballroom-ers to have a good solo. The only ballroom person I remember having fantastic solos was Heidi. I guess you can say Dmitry also, but his solos got old fast after he just pulled off his shirt time and time again.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Premium Member

^^But CrossingGuard, I never got tired of Dmitry's shirt being off though.

Since on this show Nigel talked a lot about Micheal Jackson's contribution to dance, I wonder if they will do a "tribute" type show. All the music being MJ's... If you think of his vast career they is of course hip-hop, contemp, disco, even something you could do some ballroom stuff too. It would be a nice show I think.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3528828;
    The only ballroom person I remember having fantastic solos was Heidi.
    Yep.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by souljourney;3529348;
    Since on this show Nigel talked a lot about Micheal Jackson's contribution to dance, I wonder if they will do a "tribute" type show.
    Nigel and Paula Abdul have been going back and forth on Twitter about Paula choreographing an MJ tribute for the kids for the upcoming week.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3527869;
    The only comment I remember about this was Nigel saying that if you can't pull off another style don't try. If someone did a solo and wowed them, all is well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast